Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-31-2010, 05:33 PM
It's probably just noticing that the Cryptic patcher is performing back and forth communication with the Internet and has no idea if it's authorized to do that. Ignore it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
If you have a program that tells you another program is "acting suspiciously", but doesn't say precisely what it's doing that's suspicious, I'd say dump that program. There's nothing useful you can do with that information. If you don't know *what* it's doing that's suspicious, how can you tell if it's supposed to be doing that or not?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-31-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree with you on this actually. The fact that you are, or are not using Norton is actively collected by Cryptic so they must have knowledge of it.

Quote:
SystemSpecs.hasSSE2 1 PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isRunningNortonAV 0 PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isUsingD3DDebug 0 PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isVista 1 PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isX64 1 PrefEntry SystemSpecs.material_hardware_supported_features "SM20| SM20_PLUS| SM30| SM30_PLUS" PrefEntry SystemSpecs.material_supported_features "SM20| SM20_PLUS| SM30| SM30_PLUS| SM30_HYPER" PrefEntry
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril
Seriously norton? That will slow down your game...
Unfounded nonsense. Lack of clue from user will slow down the game, not a well configured program.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
Unfounded nonsense. Lack of clue from user will slow down the game, not a well configured program.
Unfounded nonsense? Eck. Norton is horrid. I mean, they are all pretty big resource hogs, but i always felt Norton was the worst. McAfee FTW!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
Unfounded nonsense? Eck. Norton is horrid. I mean, they are all pretty big resource hogs, but i always felt Norton was the worst. McAfee FTW!!
There you go trying to pass of that opinion of yours as fact.

It's simply not true that Norton is any more of a resource hog than any of the other security suites. It depends what parts of it you use and how you configure them. However in my considered opinion McAfee is the worst of the lot. Invasive, obtrusive and resource heavy.

It's not wise to bash Norton when Symantec provide just about everyone else in the game with the virus databases.

McAfee's market share comes from being bundled with laptops to people who don't knoew any better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
There you go trying to pass of that opinion of yours as fact.
Really Zoot? didn't i specifically say i FELT as though Norton was the worst. FELT as in my opinon. Take an English class.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
Really Zoot? didn't i specifically say i FELT as though Norton was the worst. FELT as in my opinon. Take an English class.

My English is fine thanks. I have a master's.

You can't say things after my criticism and then pretend that's what you meant all along. You made a statement which I said was unfounded based upon opinion. I'm telling you based upon actual groundwork that it is wrong. But you won't care so i won't bore you with the facts.
I don't care what you use. I do however reserve the right to object when people tell lies and pass it off as fact.

Quote:
Seriously norton? That will slow down your game...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately Zoot, your "Master's" degree is clouding your thought, as is your sense that i was somehow perpetrating some sort of villianous lie. I don't need to say anything to your criticism and pretend it's what i meant. I'm not pretending. And btw, the first thing you should learn with any sort of "degree" is that just because you think you have the answer, doesn't mean you do. Just because you think your analysis is correct, doesn't mean it is.

Additionally, your comment was
"There you go trying to pass off your opinion as fact"

However, then you quote
"seriously norton, that will slow down your game"

However, if your attack was directed at me saying my comments were a lie, then why did you quote someone else? How does your quotation of another poster's comments affect your argument with me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Windows Defender is also requesting to send the STO exe to MS for further analysis...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.