Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansanRuno
Wasn't JIm Kirk right out of the acadamy when he got command from Spock via Pike in the last movie?
Yes and it was a stupid plot device there too but nobody wants to watch a movie called "Star Trek 2: Kirk gets promoted to Lieutenant"
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.LoveMonkey
Yes and it was a stupid plot device there too but nobody wants to watch a movie called "Star Trek 2: Kirk gets promoted to Lieutenant"
I LOL'd at this one.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm enjoying this myself, I've played plenty of the fantasy MMOs and there does seem to be more variety. Ship combat is fun, you can pvp from level 6 onward, and as a fan of rpgs generally having a full customizable away team is pretty sweet.

No MMO is perfect at launch, and changes will abound over the next months.

If the ride isn't enjoyable, just get off. Personally, I'm going to give this one a shot.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
What's the point of any MMO? It's not like you can win any of them. If you want a game you can beat buy Fallout3 or Dragon Age: Origins. And when you get right down to it what's the point in beating them other than entertainment?
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
If you make it 10 levels and dont' think that the Klingons are up to several things include at least 1 great big historcal throwback.

The Urdine are up to something

and there is reason for Borg reemergence then you missed it. It's subtle, maybe to subtile, but it's there. Quinn is leading you to something

In addition several of the patrol/exploration missions have open hooks. (my personal favaorite is the boring empty base click 5 glowies that do nothing but get you text boxes) These hooks are clearly jump off points for missions. That is if all "Worst launch ever" and "Oh my god Atari pushed up the release date and they haz no content." waves can be ridden out.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a thought on this.

The away missions, with crew members, and little chance of actually dying, are more like watching a movie, then solving a problem.

The mission that says get the fire extinguisher off the wall and put out the fires. That is just following a sequence you are told to do.

If worded differently it would require thought, "How do I put out fires" Oh look there is a fire extinguisher.

It seems in many MMOs, not just this one, but many of the newer ones, they tailor down to least common denominator. Because some people would spam, how do you put out the fires, they put the text in the description. So everyone can do the mission easily, but it does not have alot of thought, just more like watching a movie, seeing things happen.

Same thing with no penalty for dying. There is no real need to think, just to follow what is told to do. Which brings up a big social comment, on weather people should learn to think, or learn to just do what they are told, but that is beyond the scope.

What is the point, well if there are difficult missions, then it is the reward of knowing you figured something out. If there are consequences, then you are more careful and think more about decisions.

The game does have some of that, I been trying to think about starship combat to find optimal ways to do things, and there is skill to sequencing skills and speed and maneuvering to get to flanks. The front left right and back shields is a really cool thing to have, since along with aft and fore guns, it makes maneuvering more then just running away or strafing runs.

And there is some of that in ground combat, the controls when aiming strafing and turning, and cycling through opponents do add to the complexity. But in reality you could just let the AI Bridge officers do everything and complete every mission just by looking for flashy things to click on.

If there is skill and thought to completing things, then there becomes both a sense of accomplishment, and a challenge, Then higher level people have experience they learned while playing the game, making them better because of that, and having things they can show other players, forming a reason to learn about the game.

So I think the real question is do newer MMOs tailor to the least common denominator, or do they create it by training follow instruction thought instead of problem solving thought. Which is a bigger social question of effect of things like how people spend time entertaining themselves and others.

I like the game and it has alot of potential, with flanking both on ground and in space, it does add some strategy and thought, but a person has to put in there own goal for things like not dying, since the game itself does not give reward or penalty for those things.

So the point is to gain a sense of accomplishment with one self, and possibly peers while having a challenging experience. Or the point is to entertain the reptile brain that likes to react and get in a pattern without real thought, but can be relaxing and addictive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ST-TNG_The_Game.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
I should add, I think the complexity of skills actually adds a learning curve which adds to the enjoyment.

Much of the feeling of accomplishment comes from first not understanding, then learing little parts, then solving the entire problem. So while you play the game, and watch the different skills of Boffs and how they effect things, that is part of the fun, you learn what skills work best, how to put them together, and in some way it is entertaining.

And multiple currencies also add things to learn.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJackWolfe View Post
If you make it 10 levels and dont' think that the Klingons are up to several things include at least 1 great big historcal throwback.

The Urdine are up to something
What significance do the Undine play in the Star Trek universe? I've seen the films, but I have not seen much of the series. As a player that is NOT familiar with the Star Trek universe, this is a question that needs to be answered.

Quote:
and there is reason for Borg reemergence then you missed it. It's subtle, maybe to subtile, but it's there. Quinn is leading you to something
See the above. I shouldn't have to read an encyclopedia to get caught up on what's going on. If I do need to do some research, then send me on some missions where I learn the background of what's going on.

Quote:
In addition several of the patrol/exploration missions have open hooks. (my personal favaorite is the boring empty base click 5 glowies that do nothing but get you text boxes) These hooks are clearly jump off points for missions. That is if all "Worst launch ever" and "Oh my god Atari pushed up the release date and they haz no content." waves can be ridden out.
If they're hooks, they need to expand or resolve.

I hope some of you are starting to see where I'm coming from. People who DON'T have years of Star Trek research behind them are lost at the beginning of this game.

Currently, I've started a new character, and I'm only doing the "Story" type missions from Quinn. So far, I've rescued the SS Azura and learned that since the Orion joined the Klingon Empire, they've become more aggressive in their piracy. It's small, but it's a start.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereij View Post
I'm sitting here with my wife. We've just completed one of the many, many "Patrol the XXXXX Sector" missions. She turns, and asks me: "So, what are we doing?"

Me: What do you mean?
Her: Well, I assume that I'm leveling up for some reason, is there any endgame?
Me: I'm not sure.
Her: Well, it seems that all we're doing is going around exploring and doing diplomatic missions.
Me: Come to think of it, in all the movies and TV shows, that's really all they did. We were just fortunate that the Enterprise et al happened to have very eventful cruises.
Her: So, what's the point?
Me: I'm not really sure.

It's very confusing to hail starfleet and receive the same missions over and over. I get that the developers want the patrol and exploration missions to be repeatable, but for what purpose?

Am I missing the point? Please enlighten me. I've reserved the collector's edition of the game, but if this is all there is (and nothing more), why should I spend that money on STO when there are several other options out there?
I see your point, but why are you constantly patrolling? Go do the non-"patrol this sector" quests -- they seem to tie into a larger story arc with the Undine/Species 8472 from what I've seen so far. Either that, or hit Starbase 24 for some instant action space combat. I dunno, I rarely did those patrol missions in open beta and I had plenty to do and it never felt like grinding.

Also, like pretty much all MMO's, you get out of it what you want. If you want to go do patrol missions then that's what you'll do. If you want to pvp, then there's room for that. If you want to be involved in a larger story, then it's got that too (seemingly). If you want to just grind for levels, well there's plenty of places to do it. If you want a sense of community, that's what guilds are for. What are you looking to do?

Sounds more like you've only tried one part of the game and then you're claiming that's all there is. What if you went and just flew through sector space for the first 8 hours of the game, then said to the forums: "I've been flying around the Alpha Quadrant for hours with my wife, but I've got to ask why? Is this all there is to the game? If so, I'm quitting". Sounds pretty ridiculous. Go explore something different.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
You could try varying your play a bit. Do some missions, go do some fleet actions, then go do some PvP. Rinse, repeat. It's an MMO. There will be nothing different anywhere else you go. If you're looking for story-line do the non patrol/fleet action/PvP/exploration quests. I've found some of them to be pretty darn interesting.