Lt. Commander
# 51
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrem View Post
City on the edge of never makes up for it.

Also I happen to love the brier patch no matter what anyone else says..but I heard that mission got a nerf so isn't as hard anymore
I was getting one-shot by the explosions the first time I did it. It's at least 4 shot now.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
havent reached the briar patch myself yet, but i love the fleet actions - there's something so geekily cool about watching your ship bank around enemy vessels while they're being hammered by the rest of your impromtu fleet
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
The problem is, to enjoy the ride... the ride has to be enjoyable.

If the ride is dull, repetitive and bland then there isn't much you can enjoy along the way.

It's like driving through the cornfields of illinois during harvest season, Its really hard to enjoy the sites when all there is to see is corn for hundreds of miles on end.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidNull View Post
The problem is, to enjoy the ride... the ride has to be enjoyable.

If the ride is dull, repetitive and bland then there isn't much you can enjoy along the way.

It's like driving through the cornfields of illinois during harvest season, Its really hard to enjoy the sites when all there is to see is corn for hundreds of miles on end.
Yeah you're literally doing one story mission for 30 minutes and doing the stupid filler instanced randomized patrol missions for 5 hours to get enough exp to get your next story mission.

What a grind.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-31-2010, 10:59 PM
I've found the episodes to be fun. There are even recurring characters and story elements that crop up in different episodes. The rest is just pew pew or click click.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
First of all, I love this game. Its a nice change in scenery and change in pace.

For me the content is tthe same as any other MMO. Sure it might be space, and we get to beam down to planets, but its still go here and talk to them or go there and kill these things. Thats all an MMO ever is.

With regards to end content, the Devs have already published details about raid episodes that are similar to 5 man instances in other MMO's, and I assume that as the game expands more end game content will be available.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
I will never understand the people who whine about "endgame" The point of playing a game is to play the game. People who rush to the end have no one but themselves to blame.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr View Post
Again Starfleet=Exploration. Star Trek = Adventure. There is a difference, and I think that difference is what's causing many players to feel like something's missing.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a dig on Cryptic. I love the game, and I actually enjoy the exploration missions. I feel like they brought what people asked for. However, I think the spirit of the request may have been overlooked. Whether it was overlooked by fans or by cryptic or both, I don't know.

I have faith that, over time and updates, we'll see more exploration that results in grand adventures. Until then, I consider the exploration missions just a little added flavor to the game. I personally enjoy them, but I understand why others don't.
I completely agree, and this is exactly how I feel about it too.

For now, I am enjoying the main storyline episodes in STO while slowly preparing myself for end-game and higher level PVP. That is, I am treating STO as a multiplayer Star Trek combat simulator/RPG, which will still be enjoyable to me for a very long time.

When I want to take a break and have some pure adventure, I play a pure adventure game like 'Star Trek: Judgment Rites' or 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity'. Since the death of the pure adventure genre (although some companies like TellTale Games are attempting to revive it), I have begrudgingly accepted that it cannot make a home in MMOs due to its complexity or hand-crafted nature.
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereij View Post
Currently, I've started a new character, and I'm only doing the "Story" type missions from Quinn. So far, I've rescued the SS Azura and learned that since the Orion joined the Klingon Empire, they've become more aggressive in their piracy. It's small, but it's a start.
If you want the history for the game, the main STO web site has video clips, 2 of them are the history of the factions, only takes a few minutes.

From what I have seen the flavor comes from the series but you don't actually have to know everything about Star Trek factions and such. They seem to build the stories here pretty good.

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos?page=1

Future past videos have history for game. I thought they were interesting, watched them when I was DL'ing game.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn3d
Some MMO's do have a "tad" more storylines and events thrown in to make it bearable.
TAD? even World of ******** has some story but this game has so far showed me no real story lines. only thing i've seen is some story elements that have no begaining or ending ... heck not even a climax. really if i think about it the only thing i know is ... we're at war againts klingons, cardassins, romulans, and everything else just about.

"hey guy head to this system and kill everything then report back for some skill points"
"hey guy go find us some dead planets in that huge gas cloud west of sol"
"hey guy go pvp .... yeah pvp thanks"
"hey guy spend some time at fake warp in a over lay map to take this tube of wutever to memory alpha"

sure this game has zero story, cryptic failed at this but they lie to us over the last 2 years. i'll never buy another game from this company.