Lt. Commander
This happens all too often, the quest rewards listed are WRONG or CHANGE when you actually get them.

For example, I just completed the mission Doomsday Device. One of the possible rewards was a Tactical officer who has the ability Attack Pattern Omega III. And I think to myself, wow, that would be great to add to my existing tactical officer for when I promote it to commander.

So I choose this tactical BOFF solely on this one ability he has.

Then I actually get the guy, and the skill is GONE. Now instead of Attack Pattern Omega III, now he magically has Dispersal Pattern Beta III......

So in effect, I got nothing out of it. No reward for doing the mission because the game lied to me about what I could select as my reward.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I've had this same issue with every BO reward. I select the officer based on it's skills displayed in the reward selection window, but the BO I receive has different skills. (That's of course if I even actually get the BO, which is another much discussed bug.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
It's just so frustrating.

I gave up some amazing alternatives because I figured as awesome as items are, i'll "eventually" outlevel them, but Omega III was something i'd never seen before on a NPC and wanted that ability because its untrainable from the vendor.

Thinking more fore end-game purposes than right-now. But I got screwed both ways.

Sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
BO skills that aren't trainable from NPCs can be trained by you (the captain) upon leveling up corresponding personal skills to rank 9. The whole bait & switch, or not appearing at all deal is irritating, but you're not missing out on anything you won't be able to get by other means.

From personal experience, stay away from Aceton Field, because the game still thinks that it's a ground skill.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativePhobia
BO skills that aren't trainable from NPCs can be trained by you (the captain) upon leveling up corresponding personal skills to rank 9. The whole bait & switch, or not appearing at all deal is irritating, but you're not missing out on anything you won't be able to get by other means.

From personal experience, stay away from Aceton Field, because the game still thinks that it's a ground skill.
You can only train Rank III skills from your corresponding career path.

Engineers and Science captains cannot train Attack Pattern Omega III. Ever.

Whether this is intention or a bug, I don't know, but this IS how it works. So for an engineer or science captain to find a BOFF with a tier 3 tactical skill, it is indeed a rare find and quite valuable.

It's very frustrating.