Lt. Commander
# 1 Bandwith - need to open ports?
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
okay lately i notice STO has been laggy, like....REALLY laggy. I fumed and raged and stomped about and go so ticked off at my ISP (Comcast) that I called them up extremely irrate to hear that my net service was fine.

"YEA RIGHT ITS SLOW!" I scream.

well they introduce me to speedtest.org where I see that my 22,000kbps that I pay 60 bucks a month for is indeed there and notice my net is running quite quickly as its supposed to.

"hmmm" I say to them now, "perhaps its this game im playing."

so I load up STO, visit good ol Speedtest.org

.....600kbps - 1200kbps

STO is taking over 20,000kbps? HELP me figure out WHY its doing this and LAGGING so bad!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 05:46 AM
bump as its vanished with no reply
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Tried a speedtest without runnign STO? It's possible your ISP is traffic shaping your connection during peak hours. They could be blocking ports. Most major ISP's do this without you realizing on large connections, especially comcast..

Try running a nettest, or a tracert to cryptics servers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Wasn't it Comcast that did that bandwidth capping experiment? You know the one that sparked the battle that will end with the ISPs getting to do whatever they want to.

Oh yeah.... your thread you started....

QQ QQ QQ
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Tried a speedtest without runnign STO? It's possible your ISP is traffic shaping your connection during peak hours. They could be blocking ports. Most major ISP's do this without you realizing on large connections, especially comcast..

Try running a nettest, or a tracert to cryptics servers.
as I said, I did a speedtest without STO running, its just fine. With it running, splat. I have no problems with bandwith unless im running STO. And if it were ports (which STO assures me it isnt, and i dont need to forward any) wouldnt that just affect STO and not EVERYTHING when sto is running?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
It's most likely the game because where I am right now I only have a 3Mbps connection and when the headstart first opened I was playing with no lag at all. It wasn't until the weekend that it went to pot. So it looks like you don't need a very high bandwidth to run an MMO smoothly. It depends on the game server's latency the most.