Lt. Commander
# 1 Difficulty Level needs buffed
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I think the difficulty level was nerfed too hard between OB and Headstart.

I've been feeling pretty invincible in combat, in my Miranda without even a full complement of consoles. I almost never switch out of full power to weapons.

I just took down a +6 DraguasCruiser (at Lt 8) with about 70% Hull remaining. Probably could have done it without taking damage if I'd been in balanced or defensive power allocation.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
According to cryptic the game doesn't get challenging until mid-way through Lt.C. This is their stated design goal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind that most online games get Nerf Happy against the players a couple months after release. So live it up while you can.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Agreed. The bad guys arent that bad
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
This is true, mid way through T-2 is when the difficulty ramps up. By t-4 you'll be begging for easier fights lmao.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah the problem was that the newbie zone and newbie levels (1-10) were too hard for many people.
I loved it, but a lot of people felt like a fish out of water, not knowing what to do, and were getting blasted. That's one of the worst things you can do in an MMO is make it too hard too fast.
So they brought the difficulty down.

I can tell you though that at least in the Romulan area the combat is great. They can punch through your shields easily on cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
According to cryptic the game doesn't get challenging until mid-way through Lt.C. This is their stated design goal.
Not sure that's such a great idea. It is going to be a real shock to the system for the ship combat to suddenly become non-trivial. Folks are going to be getting a lot of bad habits that they'll then have to lose..
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vissith View Post
I've been feeling pretty invincible in combat, in my Miranda without even a full complement of consoles.
I can't think of a worse way to put off new players faster than to make the newbie zone difficult...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkenor View Post
Not sure that's such a great idea. It is going to be a real shock to the system for the ship combat to suddenly become non-trivial. Folks are going to be getting a lot of bad habits that they'll then have to lose..
It isn't sudden. But considering there is no real death penalty it doesn't really matter. And as the guy below you said most MMO's have stupid easy starting zones. IMO STO's one is way too long though. It should ramp right at the beginning of Lt.C (which would be balanced out by the new ship).

The difficulty as it is because a lot of terribads were whining back in OB when killing +2 con BSes required you to manuever and use your Boffs.

I miss when you knew you were a good player because you could beat the BS in researcher rescue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanemura View Post
This is true, mid way through T-2 is when the difficulty ramps up. By t-4 you'll be begging for easier fights lmao.
I hate the starfleet rebel deep space encounters in T4, and the cardassian ships **** me off too! Galors.... OMFG They need to die.

lol First levels are cake walks.