Lt. Commander
After having waited along with many others for a MMORPG based on Star Trek -- through the rise and fall of Perpetual, from the first hours of Cryptic's STO web site opening up, and through early beta testing -- it looks like I won't be playing this game. It's just too far away from the Star Trek MMORPG that could have been. There's not enough here that I care about to be worth my spending money month after month not to play it.

My purpose here is not to bash Cryptic's version of Star Trek Online, or the good folks at Cryptic themselves. They made the game they wanted to make given constraints of time and money. The fact that it's not to my taste is not a flaw in either them or me, and I sincerely wish everyone at Cryptic well.

I'm writing simply to say farewell, rather than simply disappearing. I truly enjoyed the many conversations I had with folks at the wonderful STOnet fan site, and here on Cryptic's site. Even when I disagreed strongly with some people -- you know who you are -- I appreciated the passion that people had for trying to find an impossible balance point between conventional MMORPG mechanics and a world that feels like the universe of Star Trek. Those were fun, thought-provoking discussions, and I thank everyone who ever took the time to swap ideas with me.

I expect I may still have some Star Trek MMORPG-related comments to make from time to time on my personal blog. And who knows? Maybe some years from now I'll read that Cryptic was able to add many of the things to STO that I care about, and I might give that game a try. Or maybe BioWare will get a chance to make a new MMORPG set in the Star Trek universe, as they're doing now with the Star Wars universe.

So perhaps some day you'll see the mighty U.S.S. Zimbula patroling the Alpha Quadrant, with Captain Flatfingers in command. If so, I hope you'll say hi.

Until then, congratulations to Cryptic for the real accomplishment of shipping a major MMORPG, and good luck to everyone who chooses to play that game.

Live long and prosper!

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
bye can i have your stuff
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Meanwhile, for the people capable of adult conversation....
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree Craptic ruined the game
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Well I have appreciated reading your posts over the past two years. You will be missed.

Finding an mmo that is actually 'your' game can be a daunting task. I have not found one yet that is close to the things I truly want to see, so I am just flexible in what comes out.

And who knows, STO could eventually swing back towards what you are looking for, or you might find that the game has developed to a point that you find it enjoyable none the less.

godspeed.

~ Loekii
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Good point

Can I have your stuff instead then?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Nicely said, well written. You echo my own thoughts as I leave this game to those who are satisfied with it. I really REALLY wanted to love it, and it's just not happening. Maybe further down the road I'll try it again, but there are far too many better games to play out there to waste my time on this one. Vulcan salute to you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
why do people bother publishing their good bye messages on the forums?

seems like its just a mellow version of the ragequit posts and lawyer posts, and BOF posts...

seriously, pm your friends and quit trying to call a soapbox what it isnt
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Meanwhile, for the people capable of adult conversation....
Check back in 6 months, maybe they add things you are looking for? till then relax and enjoy single player games or maybe some other MMO

Have fun!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Kanz I haz ur stufz? :p

I jest

Sad to see you go man, t'was fun and challenging chatting with you.

Qapla'!!
- Dahakra
Closed Thread