Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Its a shame to see one of the decent people go.

I too have been here since the beginning, it will be sad to see you go.

Come back soon okay? In a few months the game will be much better.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag-nyc View Post
why do people bother publishing their good bye messages on the forums?
two words. first word is attention. second word rhymes with bore.

Whether they do it in a rant or as a "farewell" message, it is them getting the last word in on their frustrations with the game. either way, I don't feel it ever deserves a second of thought more to read/respond beyond "can I have your stuff?" Every one is the same message and deserves the exact same response.

The people who TRULY want change are the ones that stick around and see it through. The ones who leave and post a suicide note are just looking for the last word.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
There's quite a bit I'd like to have seen done differently, that's true, but in the end I'm won over. They at least hit the basic checkboxes of things I'd like to see and actually did many of the things I happened to have suggested. Not multiplayer ships, that's the big one, but I'm less adamant about that issue now.

Exploration. Check. Not as much variety, yet, as I'd like but they're definitely on to something with Genesis/Exploration. That's simply my favorite part of the game and where I spend the most time.

Ship as Home, Crew as Family. Semi-check. There's not the multiplayer ship angle but we do have at least ship's bridges and a very detailed NPC officer system. So good in fact I think it may have cured my altaholism.

Utopian Federation and interesting science content. Double negative. But the first isn't that big a deal for me and the second can be remedied by creative use of the Genesis engine as they add more content to it Also by player created content which Cryptic's suggested will be in at some point. Hopefully soon, so people who want angles to their gameplay that aren't in the game can put it in there themselves.

Entertaining ground and space combat. Check.

Optional PvP off in PvP land. Check.

And much more stuff I'm finding endlessly entertaining like the character customization system.

Is STO the ultimate Star Trek sim? No. Is STO a solid version of a Star Trek MMO that carries the torch without embarrassing itself completely? Yes. Compared to Age of Conan or SWG, STO's really got it together and it does rank up there with Lord of The Rings Online as a pretty good representation of its version of the mythos.

Well, Flatfingers, I'm sorry to see you heading out but I definitely understand. Back in April when we were both posting more frequently it was always a pleasure to read your posts and interact with you here.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBorgh
two words. first word is attention. second word rhymes with bore.

Whether they do it in a rant or as a "farewell" message, it is them getting the last word in on their frustrations with the game. either way, I don't feel it ever deserves a second of thought more to read/respond beyond "can I have your stuff?" Every one is the same message and deserves the exact same response.

The people who TRULY want change are the ones that stick around and see it through. The ones who leave and post a suicide note are just looking for the last word.

real adult of you there...the OP's post was constructive and not a troll at all. your blind fanboyism is showing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Well in the case of Flatfingers, he has been a vocal face over the entire development of STO, and a big member of the community. It would insane for him to try to PM everyone that would notice his absence.

I appreciate that he posted it, and even stated why he posted it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracane
real adult of you there...the OP's post was constructive and not a troll at all. your blind fanboyism is showing.
you REEALLLY need to look up the definition of the word constructive. While their wasn't anything directly incendiary in his post, there wasn't a single constructive thing in it either. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see one thing in there other then him getting in the last word on how he doesn't like it, and maybe other games will come out that suits his style.... pretty backhanded for a good natured post, wouldn't you say?

edit - and while I can respect his "status" in the community, the bottom line was that for a simple goodbye he made sure to put in a few times that he was very unhappy with the game. Not seeing as that was really necessary if his intent was to just say goodbye.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:

seems like its just a mellow version of the ragequit posts and lawyer posts, and BOF posts...

seriously, pm your friends and quit trying to call a soapbox what it isnt
Because he has been a member of this community for 18 months. It's quite an investment on his part. Give him some respect and let him say goodbye. He's earned it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Come back and visit, the game will be here.
Lt. Commander
# 19
Quote:
you REEALLLY need to look up the definition of the word constructive. While their wasn't anything directly incendiary in his post, there wasn't a single constructive thing in it either. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see one thing in there other then him getting in the last word on how he doesn't like it, and maybe other games will come out that suits his style.... pretty backhanded for a good natured post, wouldn't you say?

I can see where you could come to the conclusion based on just one post, but Flatfingers history speaks for itself, imo.

The thing is that unlike some goodbye threads, Flatfingers is a known member of the community. He has a posting history of being respectful and well through out (even wordy at times, but thats more a tell of his signature).
Lt. Commander
# 20
Quote:

hey fanboy...read the other posts in the thread. stop being a zealot and open your eyes to other possibilities than something you think is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
Well in the case of Flatfingers, he has been a vocal face over the entire development of STO, and a big member of the community. It would insane for him to try to PM everyone that would notice his absence.

I appreciate that he posted it, and even stated why he posted it.
Closed Thread