Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Pros:
  • It's Star Trek (or so it is named)
  • Graphics
  • Character Creation
  • Selected sound effects and music
  • The opportunity for a truly great MMORPG
  • The naming system

Cons:
  • Sector Space. First impression was hate. This has not changed. Did not like it in ST games of the past either. Just give us a map and let us warp and then figure out how to add 'enemy encounters'.
  • Ability to load into same instance as your fellow team mates. My boyfriend and I are truly tired of this.
  • Unintuitive UI and the chaotic sense it brings until finally getting "use to it"
  • Low variety of music and sound effects
  • Lack of the sense of vastness of space/environment
  • Lack of tradeskills/other activities
  • Lack of wardrobe
  • Lack of Star Trek Universe feel (Diplomacy??!! No! Just shoot it!)
  • Limit to number of players per zone. (Very Guild Wars-esque, especially with NPC away team....err...no monthly fee over at Guild Wars)
  • Lack of a clear way to scale one item over an other to make an educated decision. For instance, in one of the first missions where we received our first kit I picked the tactical one with the Photon Grenade ability. Not too much later down the line I got to "choose" another kit (had to choose the Tactical one since it was the only one my tactical officer could equip) and it had the same grenade. They both said Photon Grenade II along with the same line of descriptions. The only difference is one was common and one was uncommon...ahh, but maybe there was an actual functional difference but it was NOT clearly stated in the kits description. BIG NO-NO!!
  • The clubs are dull. There isn't even any club music playing within the area of what would be the club. The club should not feel like the rest of the station.
  • Boredom. I use to scoff at people (still do!) who said they were bored in World of ********. Sick of dungeon crawling? Go fish! Tired of Fishing? How about a Battleground? Getting ganked in the BGs? Quests! Quests in World of ******** are so interesting (minus the 'filler' ones. I'm talking about the storyline ones, people!). So far in STO, everything feels repetitive. I'm not a game developer so I'm not going to suggest what you should be doing about this. It's not really my *job* though I will report bugs for you all day with a smile on my face. It's kind of your place to decide how to entertain your subscribers.
  • Confusing and overcomplicated currency system. I already hate the idea of currency being around outside of Ferengi influence but it must also have different names, uses, and ways to track it's amount? I still have not found my Explorer's Merits, or whatever they were called.

There's more...believe me. I think this wall of text will have to do for now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
**signed**
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Account Security would be nice as well seeing as we are already getting gold farmers. I've been spoiled by my Blizzard Authenticator and the peace of mind it brings me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostar
Account Security would be nice as well seeing as we are already getting gold farmers. I've been spoiled by my Blizzard Authenticator and the peace of mind it brings me.
The spammers are already getting on my nerves as well - literally 15 messages about currency for sell in my inbox.

My wife is going to estactic that I have cleaned the downstairs including the bathroom BUT i was planning on playing Star Trek this whole time - I have been trying to get signed on since 7 - I finally got on at 8:55 - made the jump to Alpha Prime and have been stuck in the loading que for 3 hours WTF over???

I have exited out and back in 4 times - it is not my machine SOO annoying. I am sure they will get it ironed out over the next month but man it is going to a brutal month.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Ahh stability. It is not my largest worry. I have no love for the current server system they have. Stability is something that I imagine will be a problem. Always is during launch. This is why I did not issue any complaints on my original post.

Yes, I did some grocery shopping and cooked dinner until I was finally through the queue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Meh. Apparently Troll Threads get more discussions.

OMG! I'm soooo going to quit STO and cancel my preorder and file a class action law suit and throw my computer through your HQ windows and troll the forums and gloat about how I canceled my preorder but can still play headstart and continue to whine about stability issues despite it being a very common thing during MMO launches and despite saying I'm going to cancle my account and sue you and breed rabid monkeys and give them the taste for Cryptic employee blood and doing all of this while using absolutely no periods and within the dankness of my parent's basement I will get most, NO, all of your forums attention on me ME and my productivity and awsomeness rawr omgwtfdairyqueenbbqturtleroflcopter!!!!!!11!1/!/??!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 12:44 AM
It is to be expected - I would like to blame it all on kids or fools living in their Mom's basement that having nothing better to do than game but sadly the unreasonable people seem to be far and wide. My biggest complaint right now is communication - Simply acknowledging problems specicically and apologizing goes a long way.

Communication is key especially with IT departments (sadly they are usually the worst at it) - I am annoyed I have not gotten to play all day but was expecting it - huge launch Beta just finished (why I didn't beta I do enough of that in my real life) Figured I would have to deal with plenty of bugs at launch - But to the point if someone would just come on and say yes the Ques are not working properly between warp systems we apologize and are working on it - OR Sorry guys the servers just crashed again XX happened we ETA 3 hours My complaints would go away.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostar
Meh. Apparently Troll Threads get more discussions.

OMG! I'm soooo going to quit STO and cancel my preorder and file a class action law suit and throw my computer through your HQ windows and troll the forums and gloat about how I canceled my preorder but can still play headstart and continue to whine about stability issues despite it being a very common thing during MMO launches and despite saying I'm going to cancle my account and sue you and breed rabid monkeys and give them the taste for Cryptic employee blood and doing all of this while using absolutely no periods and within the dankness of my parent's basement I will get most, NO, all of your forums attention on me ME and my productivity and awsomeness rawr omgwtfdairyqueenbbqturtleroflcopter!!!!!!11!1/!/??!!
I love those threads,

also I agree with most of what you say. there is one problem. diplomacy, forget that, fire first, ask question later, that's what's on my ship's dedication plaque
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
the only issue i have is not auto entering the same instance with your team, other then that am loving it
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
I love those threads,

also I agree with most of what you say. there is one problem. diplomacy, forget that, fire first, ask question later, that's what's on my ship's dedication plaque
Hah! Well, I am not certain how they would introduce a diplomacy mechanic and make it fun, engaging, which of course means non-repetitive.

My only issue with the "shoot first" method is that Star Trek's universe is built on diplomacy, utilizing the local governments, and working within the parameters of its mandates.

I suppose a cheap shot to this 'suggestion' of mine is that we are in a time of war...but it's not only Klingon I've been having to shoot down.