Captain
# 31
12-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
Can anyone answer why this new 'parser' has changed files size 2x in recent days. And no offense, but Java is a wee bit weak for security. My corporate antivirus (which I have to trust) disables any attempt to review it.

Just curious why STO is allowing links to third party software....
I'm not overly keen on that, myself. However, I understand that this was coded specifically for this game by somebody donating their time and effort. Most likely that person works in Java and had the tools to code in that language. It seemed fairly widespread in use so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Captain
# 32
12-17-2013, 12:47 PM
I have no issues with his donation of time and effort. ACT is another platform made in the same way for the betterment of the community as a whole.

And to be clear - the people running the chat channels are for the most part decent folk...

But you have to be practical.

If you use your computer for more than gaming - say banking, financials, business - are you an idiot to trust unverified 3rd party software, especially one flogged in a chat room set to close soon?

Would I trust them with access to my computer - hell no. I'll wait six months before looking again.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com
Captain
# 33
12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
If you're afraid, simply run it sandboxed. Sandboxie is great for that.
Starfleet Veteran
# 34
12-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Can anyone answer why this new 'parser' has changed files size 2x in recent days.
could you particularize that? do you really mean the programs file size? (of the .jar file?) That should not change as long as you don't run an update. And of course it changes with an update.
The file size displayed at the top of the program is the current file size of your combat log, written by STO.

Quote:
Just curious why STO is allowing links to third party software....
There is no link between STO and the CombatLogReader
STO writes combat data into a special file in its installation directory (Star Trek Online/Live/logs/gameclient/Combatlog.log) You can open that file yourself with a simple editor like notepad, notepad++ or wordpad if you want. But I think you will not have any use from that mass of data. The only thing the CombatLogReader does (and other parser do) is to read and analyse this file.

Quote:
Most likely that person works in Java and had the tools to code in that language
exactly. Java was my first programming language and is still my favorite one. The point is: As I started, i did not expect the programm to have more than 5-10 users. It was an idea for me and my fleet. Later I presented it in the official (German) STO-Forums and some players liked it and helped me to improve it. I'm very happy about its success, even if there are some problems where people have troubles to get it running. But such problems are possible with every programming language.
Java has the advantage that also MacOS and Linux users can use it without creating different versions for all operating systems. (and yes, there is a mac client of STO as far as i know, and another way for linux)
Captain
# 35
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Not knocking you sir, or your effort.

Before we go further - thanks for your effort. But this was my expereince:

Downloaded the file 2x, had 2 different results. SOPHOS scanned it, came back red flagged. Mind you the security on my systems is set high for a business reason.

This doesn't mean it's bad. Unsigned 3rd party software is ALWAYS a RISK. And I don't know you. I don't know where you live. I don't know how to contact you. And trusting anyone from a chat room in an MMO is inherently risky.

I'll try it on my laptop running Sandboxie. But it won't get near my personal computer.

As for the links comment, it was about posting links to your 3rd-party application in this forum.

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-17-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-17-2013, 01:42 PM
FFS its a jar file. If you're really that paranoid download a decompiler and look at the source code yourself.
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
12-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Downloaded the file 2x, had 2 different results.
ok, that's strange. Did you use the same link? Perhaps someone gave you a link to the old version (there is still a 1.1.1.2 available and it appears that some people still use that link. last download says 6 hours ago)

Quote:
Unsigned 3rd party software is ALWAYS a RISK. And I don't know you. I don't know where you live. I don't know how to contact you. And trusting anyone from a chat room in an MMO is inherently risky.

I'll try it on my laptop running Sandboxie. But it won't get near my personal computer.
no problem. I see and understand your point.

Last edited by omegashoker; 12-17-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Captain
# 38
12-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimqqi View Post
FFS its a jar file. If you're really that paranoid download a decompiler and look at the source code yourself.
Last post on my perceived security issue.

Part of my day job includes network security analytics. It means I know just enough to get myself into trouble with experts like yourself.

2 fleet members have installed and used the application without issue.

My corporate security scan flagged it. I will try running it in Sandboxie on a system I don't worry about compromise, on a f2p account.

Java based exploits and malware:

https://media.blackhat.com/bh-us-12/...Malware_WP.pdf

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...p-its-sleeves/

and a personal favourite:

http://www.darknet.org.uk/2011/01/ja...clinuxwindows/

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-17-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Captain
# 39
12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Am I the only one having problems finding the update button? I don't see one anywhere.

I'm at version 1.1.3.0, whatever that means. There is no date on the info screen. There is no "look for updates" option anywhere.
Starfleet Veteran
# 40
12-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Am I the only one having problems finding the update button? I don't see one anywhere.

I'm at version 1.1.3.0, whatever that means. There is no date on the info screen. There is no "look for updates" option anywhere.
the updater should ask you at first start if it shall look for updates or not.
If you want it to ask you again click on the version number. (not on the logo but on the small number below) Then select one of the first options. If there is an update available it will ask you if you want to download/install it.

You can see how it should look in my demonstration video at 1:30 :
http://youtu.be/51Kv2QGRi58?t=1m30s
(I speak German, but I think you can see how it works .... the video shows an older version of the CLR without colors but the updater's behavior hasn't changed. )