Lt. Commander
# 1 Crafting: Modular Kits
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM
How about letting people design their own kits? Figure out a system similar to the original Champions "hero system" where each thing you can put into a kit is assigned points that determine how much will fit into each "rank" of custom kit.

Example:

Tier 1: 100 total Ability points
Tier 2: 125 total Ability points
Tier 3: 150 total Ability points
Tier 4: 175 total Ability points
Tier 5: 200 total Ability points

Kitmaking would be a separate skill. Each ability would take up a given number of "ability points" and require certain components to incorporate.

For example, an "antigravity belt" that lets you jump really high might take 180 points, and require 20 mineral samples, 15 Alien Artifacts, and 5 Antimatter samples to put in, while bonuses with various things might cost 5 ability points per +0.25, depending on the ability.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 06:24 AM
The ability to make custom kits could be an entire new skill tree, where you learn how to incorporate the existing components first, then spend points to develop your own custom gadgets later on...The point costs for abilities should be balanced so that if you spend every single point, a custom kit would be identical to an equivalent normal kit...but only for things OUTSIDE your normal specialty.

Gadgets INSIDE your specialty could be installed in your custom kits at a point discount (but still cost the full materials cost) so, overall, custom kits would be superior for the same tier/rank level of kit. Also, each specialty would have a few special abilities they could add "tweaks" to, and a couple of unique "only in custom kits" abilities.

We could call the skill "Kit Bashing" - and custom made kits would be equippable by anyone (BOE of course) so even the "off specialty kit clone" kits would be in demand.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 07:13 AM
What, with all the "lets have crafting!" threads, nobody either likes or hates the idea of custom made kits?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodElf View Post
What, with all the "lets have crafting!" threads, nobody either likes or hates the idea of custom made kits?
I am ALL for custom crafting.......best damn system ever was the SWG crafting system. Now that was a groundbreaking system and tbh I am surprised that in 2010 that games are not pushing the envelope and are happy with an old game structure that games were using at least 5 years ago.

Nice Char customization options Cryptic!! but erm how about the same level of cutting edge stuff as with the rest of the game? COME ON!! We know you can do it!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 03:20 AM
it could be class specific, such as 'Tactical Invention' for example to make weaponry & Tac consoles, 'Engineering Invention' to make standard starship components such as shield arrays and propulsion systems and 'Scientific Invention' to make interesting devices and science consoles.

This may make science sound weaker but if the devices were one shot powers of differing types then it would make things v.interesting.

Something to work towards at the top tiers perhaps ?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoxl5 View Post
it could be class specific, such as 'Tactical Invention' for example to make weaponry & Tac consoles, 'Engineering Invention' to make standard starship components such as shield arrays and propulsion systems and 'Scientific Invention' to make interesting devices and science consoles.

This may make science sound weaker but if the devices were one shot powers of differing types then it would make things v.interesting.

Something to work towards at the top tiers perhaps ?
That's built into the original suggestion, by giving each profession (Tac/Eng/Sci) A discount installing thier OWN skills, and specialty-specific abilities they can put in.

Think of it as being like Westley Crusher rigging a mini tractor beam and kit-bashing it into a force field/Tractor combo in TNG "The Naked Now".
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
I like this idea a lot! I'm not looking for my Science officer to start lobbing photon grenades, but some customization of the kits would be GREAT! I like the idea of other things to add, too, like the gravity harness (vice "gravity boots") and other special effects. ("I have brought... marshmelons.")