Lt. Commander
# 31
02-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
The thing that many people always seem to forget is that other MMO companies that have say a 4 or 5 year development have to build a game engine. Cryptic already had one, this speeds things up quite a bit. Could the game have benefit from a slightly longer development time? Sure. But look at from another perspective. This game has been in development since 2004. They wanted to get this game out to us asap before we all lost interest. They also wanted to ride the wave of JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie. I see this as a smart move. I personally like the idea of a lifetime membership and wish I could afford one. Do you honestly think that they are just doing that to rake in dough and then forget about the game. That would ultimately kill their studio. The bad rep would put them out of business. The truth is, they know they have a hit on thier hands an we can expect to see regular updates for quite some time. There are 10 million or more Star Trek fans out there. Depending on how many this game can pull in, it could truly turn into a top MMO. I see these TV ads as a good way to pull in some of those 10 million fans. Especially since SyFy has a viewer base of over a million and Star Trek is quite popular on the network. Playing STO commercials throughout the marathon today is a smart marketing move any way you look at it.
No you are so wrong in that.

SOE used their existing engine for EQ2 (one they already developed for SWG) and still spend over 4 years on EQ2.

NCSoft licensed the CryEngine 1 for development of **** and they still spend over 4 years on that game.

Funcom used their own optimised inhouse engine (Dreamworld Engine, wich they used on their previous games) for Age of Conan. They still spend over 4 years on that game.

Do you want more examples?
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronas
No you are so wrong in that.

SOE used their existing engine for EQ2 (one they already developed for SWG) and still spend over 4 years on EQ2.

NCSoft licensed the CryEngine 1 for development of **** and they still spend over 4 years on that game.

Funcom used their own optimised inhouse engine (Dreamworld Engine, which they used on their previous games) for Age of Conan. They still spend over 4 years on that game.

Do you want more examples?
And look what good it did Conan. Just taking some extra time for a game doesn't necessarily mean it will succeed. I have played many MMO's and this IS a fairly full and complete game. The beautiful thing about Cryptic is that they release content packs more often than say Blizzard does with WoW. Even if there isn't that much content now, by the time the average player reaches endgame, the first set of new content will be out.

As someone else just said in another thread, it's like building a house. Cryptic has a firm foundation to build on. Sure the game may not be 100% done yet, but with a bit of time and the support of loyal fans, this game will evolve into something truly amazing.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canazza View Post
Atleast the "OMG my ships on the ground" and "OMG I'm a human flying in space" bug has disappeared.

It really is the downtime though that's killing people. Atleast the new queuing system should stop the server brainfarting and shutting down
But I LIKED that bug.

"Ticonderoga, one to beam up."

*shimmer*

*Looks around*

*GASPGASPGASP*

Lt. Commander
# 34
02-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynre View Post
But I LIKED that bug.

"Ticonderoga, one to beam up."

*shimmer*

*Looks around*

*GASPGASPGASP*

Yeah, that was pretty funny flying around Earth Space Station in my ship. Even funnier when I beamed out into space as a person and fell all the way to the bottom of the map before I changed into a ship. Took me so long to spiral back up. Ended up having to warp out and back in. Gotta love the bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
And look what good it did Conan. Just taking some extra time for a game doesn't necessarily mean it will succeed. I have played many MMO's and this IS a fairly full and complete game. The beautiful thing about Cryptic is that they release content packs more often than say Blizzard does with WoW. Even if there isn't that much content now, by the time the average player reaches endgame, the first set of new content will be out.

As someone else just said in another thread, it's like building a house. Cryptic has a firm foundation to build on. Sure the game may not be 100% done yet, but with a bit of time and the support of loyal fans, this game will evolve into something truly amazing.
Ehmm what? Tell that to the CO players who were eagerly waiting for their first content pack to address some of the glaring content gaps in the game. And they will have to pay for it!

So yeah... I am pretty sure Cryptic will provide you with plenty of new content through the CO store.

And oh... Age of Conan was and still is a great game. It just suffered from Bad Management.

The reason most people quit within the first month or two, was purely because their system couldn't run the game, because of the steep requirements (exact same problem EQ2 had at launch).

The fact is, that STO is not a FINISHED MMORPG.

- There is no exploration
- There is no non-combat activities or systems in place
- There is no crafting
- Klingon Faction is unfinished. Just 2 repeatable PVP missions people have to do ad infinitum to level up. Most customizations options aren't even implemented yet. And so on.

But it's beating a dead horse already. You don't want to see the truth anyway. Fine with that. But even your eyes will open up sooner then later. When you progress further through the game.

Jer