Lt. Commander
# 1 PVE - So what's the point?
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm sitting here with my wife. We've just completed one of the many, many "Patrol the XXXXX Sector" missions. She turns, and asks me: "So, what are we doing?"

Me: What do you mean?
Her: Well, I assume that I'm leveling up for some reason, is there any endgame?
Me: I'm not sure.
Her: Well, it seems that all we're doing is going around exploring and doing diplomatic missions.
Me: Come to think of it, in all the movies and TV shows, that's really all they did. We were just fortunate that the Enterprise et al happened to have very eventful cruises.
Her: So, what's the point?
Me: I'm not really sure.

It's very confusing to hail starfleet and receive the same missions over and over. I get that the developers want the patrol and exploration missions to be repeatable, but for what purpose?

Am I missing the point? Please enlighten me. I've reserved the collector's edition of the game, but if this is all there is (and nothing more), why should I spend that money on STO when there are several other options out there?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, its is star trek... the missions are... star trek like... thats pretty much what, you know, makes it... Star Trek Online, ya know, playing Star Trek...like... missions... Online... and stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrceval View Post
Well, its is star trek... the missions are... star trek like... thats pretty much what, you know, makes it... Star Trek Online, ya know, playing Star Trek...like... missions... Online... and stuff.
Not to be trollish, but this is the type of answer I was expecting to see.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereij View Post
Not to be trollish, but this is the type of answer I was expecting to see.
Glad you were not disappointed, then.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
I'm sitting here with my wife. We've just completed one of the many, many "Patrol the XXXXX Sector" missions. She turns, and asks me: "So, what are we doing?"

Her: Well, it seems that all we're doing is going around exploring and doing diplomatic missions.
Me: Come to think of it, in all the movies and TV shows, that's really all they did. We were just fortunate that the Enterprise et al happened to have very eventful cruises.

It's very confusing to hail starfleet and receive the same missions over and over. I get that the developers want the patrol and exploration missions to be repeatable, but for what purpose?

Am I missing the point? Please enlighten me. I've reserved the collector's edition of the game, but if this is all there is (and nothing more), why should I spend that money on STO when there are several other options out there?
I'm pretty sure MMO's are full of "SIDE" quest or "FETCH" quest missions like this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Unfortunatlely you're not missing anything. The missions are just copies and plain boring. Honestly with the lack of depth in the missions I don't see how they couldn't make a copy for the Klingons but thats another discussion. They have talked about soo much exploring and special genesis missions or whatever but they seem to be MIA.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 08:02 PM
i guess it is repetative but every mmo is like that plus like u said its what they did in the shows..and i read somewhere that there is 5man instances at end game and raids
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
What game were you playing? Starfleet only ever send me to shoot stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesten View Post
i guess it is repetative but every mmo is like that plus like u said its what they did in the shows..and i read somewhere that there is 5man instances at end game and raids
Some MMO's do have a "tad" more storylines and events thrown in to make it bearable.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Quote:

I'm confused, what other options out there are there that have more of a point?

if your looking for some kind of interesting plot... you could try the missions that come from admiral quinn, they kind of follow a this mission leads to that mission kind of storyline.