Lt. Commander
In my opinion, it would greatly improve the game immersion if the weapons were only draw during "red-alert" (combat) situations on the ground. You could still draw by pressing H, but they would be, by default, holstered in non-combat situations.

That would prevent players from running in public places with weapons on their hands by default. I think it is quite disturbing to see dozens of starfleet officers running in an Admiral's office carrying all sorts of heavy weapons.

Just my two cents

Whoever reads this and agrees with me, please do say so to get their attention
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:12 AM
I agree completely. You only see them with basic hand phasers in the canon series, rarely a heavy phaser rifle, but absolutely NEVER in a starbase, under normal circumstances.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
I agree... the other thing that breaks the imertion is when the NPCs interact with you and call you a player not a captain. Look at the text from "Fleet actions" and it distroys the illusion of being a captain not a player.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Star trek online: Second Amendment Edition.

Have you noticed how little crime occurs on starbases now? Thank your starfleet officer today!

Would you like to know more?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 04:11 AM
reminds me of a tng episode where picard says "one does not beam into starfleet armed"
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
I agree. Running around in that starbase with my riffle in my hand feels odd. My toon should be walking there, swaying her hips, looking all seductive. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Holster your weapon then by pressing H?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
In my opinion, it would greatly improve the game immersion if the weapons were only draw during "red-alert" (combat) situations on the ground. You could still draw by pressing H, but they would be, by default, holstered in non-combat situations.

That would prevent players from running in public places with weapons on their hands by default. I think it is quite disturbing to see dozens of starfleet officers running in an Admiral's office carrying all sorts of heavy weapons.

Just my two cents

Whoever reads this and agrees with me, please do say so to get their attention
imo it should be enough to seperate between hostile and not so hostile environmenty

eg planets and (certain) starbases
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
imo it should be enough to seperate between hostile and not so hostile environmenty

eg planets and (certain) starbases
That's another idea.

But honestly i abhor walking around waving a gun. Taking a cue from EVE's future Incarna update, STO should invest in immersion by taking a close look at small details.

In a starfleet starbase people don't:

Run
Walk as robots
Wave guns around
Jump around
Jump on tables
Push others around
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Yeah, but weapons really should be holstered in safe zones by default..