Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship name change?
02-01-2010, 06:38 AM
I was so excited when I was promoted to Lt. Commander and was given a plaque to go requisition my new ship. Once got my ship though I was disheartened that I could not rename my ship. The name of my first ship took me forever to come up with. The name had meaning to me and I thought "great" that name would go the distance with me. Now, I do realize once assigning my new ship as the Current Ship that the names of every ship you have needs to be different. However, I would like a name that would be meaningful to me, but I do realize it would probably cause more lag in the system with hundreds of people making requests to the server to check ship name availability. Thusly, STO assigning a name to my ship is probably for the best. Besides as I type this I realize that if I were really in the Starfleet I wouldn't have a choice on the name anyway lmao...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
You can change it at starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Unfortunately he tells the truth!

If you have 2 ships, and the first one is named U.S.S. Example, then your second ship CANNOT have the same name!

You can only name your second ship U.S.S. Example if you are renaming the first ship!
And the worst thing on that is, that after 2 ship renamings the rename option is no longer available! It is locked out then, so you are unable to change the name for a third time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlok View Post
Unfortunately he tells the truth!

If you have 2 ships, and the first one is named U.S.S. Example, then your second ship CANNOT have the same name!

You can only name your second ship U.S.S. Example if you are renaming the first ship!
And the worst thing on that is, that after 2 ship renamings the rename option is no longer available! It is locked out then, so you are unable to change the name for a third time.

Ahhhh, I read it as "can't change the name at ALL"

Still, this is canon. If your ship is the U.S.S. Example, then your next can be the U.S.S. Example-A.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCoyote
Ahhhh, I read it as "can't change the name at ALL"

Still, this is canon. If your ship is the U.S.S. Example, then your next can be the U.S.S. Example-A.
Nope, almost but not 100% right.

Canon is:
Old ship: U.S.S. Example NCC-12345
New ship: U.S.S. Example NCC-12345-A

That is canon, but it doesn't work that way ingame.
Lt. Commander
I remember seeing a note that I received a free uniform change when I was promoted to Lt Commander. If we also received a free name change for 1 existing ship that should take care of this issue with transferring your favorite ship name to your new ship.

My solution: I think I paid 1000 energy to rename my old ship so the name would not be in use for me and then used the 1 free name change you get for new ships to take care of the new ship's name.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
First ship rename is free, yes.
Second rename costs 1000 Starfleet Merits, not energy credits, but it's possible.
Renaming a third time isn't possible.

You can only change the registry number once however.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Yep, but for what reason is this so?

There are several Enterprise's with the exact same name in starfleet. Why can't we have a U.S.S. Example NCC-12345 and a U.S.S. Example NCC-12345-A?!

That should be possible! It makes no sense that I have to rename my old ship to another name in order to be able to use this name for my new ship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I had the same probelm, spent a lot of time coming up with the name of my first ship. I tried to change the name of my first ship, and name my second ship[ what the first ship's name was. This did not work?

I will settle for the new name, and save the name I wanted all along for when I get my tier 5 ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
If I recall, ship renames may be an item in the C-Store when it launches.