Lt. Commander
First off I do like this game. I think it has a lot of potential. I believe that it has the chance to be something great. It's a very unique MMO and since there are only a handful of space MMOs out there that are worth playing (IMO) It could be the flag ship for the genre. I was in beta for a few weeks and then I have enjoyed playing the last few days in the head start program. BUT I do have a few concerns. First, would be server stability and accessibility, the 20 - 30 minute wait to log in just for the head start program makes me fear the line there is going to be on release day. Hopefully they will have a few extra servers up by then. And then getting disconnected as I zone in and out of missions not a good way to keep peoples interests. This has to be addressed no one wants to be kicked out and then have to wait in line to get back in. And not to mention the lag. Having a high end system, I find it frustrating to be lagging out during game play. I whole heartily believe this is because of server over population. Secondly, I hope that the developers listen to their fan base. I read the forums every morning and there are a lot of good idea's out there. A better crafting system would be awesome just as an example. And maybe throwing a searchable map system instead of a lifeless chart. We are in the future after all, I am sure they have google ;-).

Anyways I need to get to work. Please add some feedback I would love to hear other opinions. Minus the trolls please.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Server downtimes are annoying, yes, but those will be ironed out.

However, I get 0 lag in game usually. My only slowdowns are at map changes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I agree on the server waits. it's surprising that Cryptic hasn't borrowed some servers from Champions. I'm sure they have room to spare over there. *cough, cough*

Hopefully we'll be seeing things smooth out over the next few weeks. I remember when WoW launched and I was downloading a new hot fix about twice a day, and don't even get me started on the EQ launch back in '99. Sheesh. The only thing worse was the Luclin expansion to 'fix' the graphics.

I think a lot of us are just really hopeful and that makes us a little more critical than we should be. Lets try to be a little more patient so that we don't have another 'Earth and Beyond' mass exodus.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Have you ever played any other MMO from the start ?

They ALL have the same issues on startup..even WOW. Give the devs a chance, nothing is perfect on day one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Well, it is just bad timing that Mass Effect 2 just came out. I am hooked on that game right now and Star Trek Online just doesn't seem as exciting for me. I did manage to play a little Sat and a little Sun during the headstart and got to level 5. But with the lifetime subscription, I don't see any reason to rush into playing this a lot.

I will probably wait a few months for them to improve on the game. Right now the space combat is just average, the ground combat really stinks and the missions are generally uninspired. (Of course I said the same about Lord of the Rings online and Champions online and I haven't logged into LOTR in over a year and Champions in over 3 months. But hey with lifetime subscriptions I got all the time in the world to go back).