Lt. Commander
I'm sorry, I love everything about this game...but I just ran into something that was so bad it lept from funny to stupid pretty fast...

The voice of "The Guardian of Forever" sounds like a dweeb from Minnesota who's talking with his chin forced against his chest. Had to turn the voice audio off this time... I dunno about programming, but I DO know about Voice Overs, and this bloke is crap. Would've been easy to make it cool.

AND - before you tell me it sounds 'exactly like the original' - don't... it doesn't sound like the original. Full Stop.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I have to say I agree with you there. And the worst part is how he said Miral's name wrong. If you're going to do VO for STO, shouldn't you at least make sure that the VO actor says the characters' names properly?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Agreed, sounds like my little brother playing with a tape recorder

OoOoOOOoo I'm the guarrrrdian of forevah!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Sounded like the original to me. Which I think is the point.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
thats true, it's the exact voice like in the TOS episode ...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok, so I'm not crazy in thinking that it was accurate, as opposed to silly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
In fairness, do you REMEMBER the original voice? the one from 1967?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_of_Forever

He sounded kinda goofy back then, too. Honestly, i was a little annoyed by the quality of the VO, as well... until i remembered THAT IS the way the GoF talks! lol...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durajimtlo
Sounded like the original to me. Which I think is the point.
This.

Melvar wasn't funny because it was over-the-top, Melvar was funny because it was accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
It absolutely sounds silly, but it also sounds exactly how it is supposed to
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah Voice Overs is not something that Cryptic can brag about. I mean really, they could have paid me, I'd do a better VO.. hehehe Nimoy sounds like he is catching a breath, Zachary Quinto sounds like he cares less. Well, its not the best but at least something... Without any VO at all game would feel like its 3 years old. But then again I haven't seen many MMOs with a lot of voice overs. Wait, Everquest 2 was loaded with VOs. Ok, I haven't seen many space MMOs with a lot of voice overs. Not very popular genre, but somehow people jumped STO and make server go berserk .

STO feels a bit like Tabula Rasa, somehow people abandoned it. STO will live longer I bet due to the IP value cause there a lot of trekkies out there who likes to pew pew . People who just play for fun will most likely move to Jumpgate Evolution in a few months.