Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroNavigator
Nimoy sounds like he is catching a breath.
They should have hired the younger, non-elderly Nimoy to do them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I posted this very same point about a week ago and got about 50% flames and 50% agreement with me. For the life of me I can't understand why some folks say the VO in the game sounds like the original series.
To me, it is crystal clear that the guy doing the VO is intentionally sounding silly.

Other's posted a link to a post from the Devs saying they intentionally made the voice "campy and over the top" as an homage to the original series episode. To quote my kids, "Epic Fail."

I won't rant again, but I agree. The VO in the game sounds terrible and in my opinion is an insult to TOS in general. Please fix it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
They should have hired the younger, non-elderly Nimoy to do them.
Adam Nimoy isn't a big Star Trek fan. He might do it, and he's not a bad choice. I think Liam Neeson might be a good choice or even good old Mark Hamil. Hell, Jack Black would do a better job than the voice we've got now!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterguy View Post
I posted this very same point about a week ago and got about 50% flames and 50% agreement with me. For the life of me I can't understand why some folks say the VO in the game sounds like the original series.
To me, it is crystal clear that the guy doing the VO is intentionally sounding silly.

Other's posted a link to a post from the Devs saying they intentionally made the voice "campy and over the top" as an homage to the original series episode. To quote my kids, "Epic Fail."

I won't rant again, but I agree. The VO in the game sounds terrible and in my opinion is an insult to TOS in general. Please fix it.
It's an insult to the Original Series... to sound like The Original Series? Dude, if you're going to complain about certain aspects of Trek being "campy", you'd have to disavow EVERYTHING relating to TOS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durajimtlo
Sounded like the original to me. Which I think is the point.

Agreed. 100%
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
thats true, it's the exact voice like in the TOS episode ...
The original voice was an older man. There was more depth to it. This is a very (nay extremely) bad reproduction effort. Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. This voice sucks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
It absolutely sounds silly, but it also sounds exactly how it is supposed to
I disagree...Response follows.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
It absolutely sounds silly, but it also sounds exactly how it is supposed to
This portrayal is completely inaccurate. I disagree that is it 'how it's supposed to be" Mate... The original voice was Bart LaRue - he voiced machines in "Lost In Space" and "TIme Tunnel"- Played a Captain on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" - he was a trained VO artist (originally from Texas - worked hard to neutralize his accent)

This bloke in Star Trek Online's version sounds like a 16 year old kid from Cleveland.

Maybe it's my ears, but it just seems a silly waste. I am, quite possibly, growing old.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
His VA should be replaced by the "Welcome to the world of Tommorow" guy from Futurama *nodnod*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-01-2010, 03:33 PM
If we're on the topic of lame...HOW ABOUT THE NAME? hahaha

Guardian of Forever? Psh what a lame name for a godlike entity.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.