Lt. Commander
Okay, I was in CB, OB, and now am of course in Headstart. Without a doubt, the most fun was had in CB - anyone who's played it says this.

Along comes OB and the expected balance tweaks, which of course make the game way too easy and pretty much break the combat system (since you basically dont have to USE said combat system to complete any objective, just spam kill and drink an earl grey). We all understood this to be an OB "experiment" and mostly just to get us through testable content quicker. Fine.

Then comes the OB re-balance patch wherein Tier 1 is left super-easy-mode and then the higher tiers are made more difficult. Well... uhhhh, I have yet to see the difficulty (since headstart I've only died to the Crystalline Entity). Now, I'm not saying it's super-easy, but it's just not dramatically difficult enough to be Trek or even to be a game that gets me excited. Yes, it's more difficult than OB [tier 2], but not by much.

I believe part of the problem stems from the fact since Tier 1 is so easymode that by the time one gets to LC1 they're 2+ levels over the norm. It's the slippery slope of level curve as they say. Let it be known I was NEVER on-board with making Tier 1 so newbish for this same exact reason; Once the game starts too easily it pretty much stays that way unless you make drastic gamebreaking changes.

So, I like many others am waiting for something to be done about this. I'm not saying we need CoH level of player-nerf here, just a bit more thought into where the actual fun is - the fun's in the drama, created by a challenging situation. And right now it's not challenging. We have all these cool Trek-tools to get us through tough spots and absolutely NO reason to use them.

In closing, I would definitely make Tier 1 more difficult again to rebalance the leveling curve. This HAS to be done immediately, like before launch. After this, crank up the remaining Tiers just a nudge and see what happens. Again, just a nudge... dont get stupid like CoH or Tabula Rasa or a million other games that dropped the nerf-hammer and ruined the game. No one wants a grind, but we do want some excitement... i.e. I should be able to be killed doing missions my own LvL (especially when there's no death penalty whatsoever)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
To bad I agree but we won't see it. Right now the game will be ending in a few weeks when everyone is max level waiting for new content. I at least wanted it to last me until FFIV, than I have to hope I don't have to play on a NA server.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbrand View Post
To bad I agree but we won't see it. Right now the game will be ending in a few weeks when everyone is max level waiting for new content. I at least wanted it to last me until FFIV, than I have to hope I don't have to play on a NA server.
Yah, I've found myself actually holding back tearing through the game for this exact reason. It's just moving too quickly and it's just not a challenge.

Also, most people are running around in vendor trash and have no problems with any part of the game. So this leads to having absolutely no reason to ever visit Memory Alpha or run Exploration missions for good loot, 'cause I can just whip through content so fast with such crap gear that there's no point.

Basically Cryptic is essentially killing their own design. Pretty much sums it up. It's so easy you dont need pots, crafting, squad or group synergies, exploration badges, crew commands, etc (does anyone actually USE passive/aggressive/rally?). Just go buy some random Ferengi garbage and have at it. Watch TNG reruns on your secondary monitor while your crew **** entire planets.

I mean, why even have Fleet Actions when we have no need for the rewards and it isnt effective time management? Not only do I not need said rewards, but I've got better crap anyways from the easymode.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
the game is too easy and dull.... The first week of OIB it was fine.

Now it feels like grind because it takes no thought or skill... withou any challange its more like a chore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I have to agree. During CB, there was a chance to lose. You had to think and use tactics with your skills and pots. Now it is auto-pilot snooze fest for just about everything. I don't think I have lost a shield even once in space.

I hope they look at changing it a bit. But I doubt it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I can understand your guys frustration... but don't forget about how much heat Cryptic took when they made Champions Online more difficult after the beta.

Folks went off the deep end about that.

I expect that Cryptic will be cautious about ramping up the difficulty due to their experience with Champions. Can't say I blame them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I played in Closed beta and I thought it was more frustrating than fun. I like it how it is so don't assume you speak for anyone but yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
He speaks for more than himself. Vincire, don't assume that YOU speak for more than yourself.

There's something flat wrong with the difficulty. I've taken to grouping with friends (who all agree that it's too easy), and then soloing missions while they solo missions.

There is something severely wrong with the difficulty when you're wondering why a +2 mission balanced for 3 players is not terribly challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I (speaking for myself and NOT for others) play this game because it's fun. Don't overthink a game, you just lose like that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincire View Post
I played in Closed beta and I thought it was more frustrating than fun. I like it how it is so don't assume you speak for anyone but yourself.
This. If other people think it's to easy for themselves, lobby for the addition of a difficulty setting option. It's being added for CO, so I'm sure they could adapt the code to STO easily enough.