Lt. Commander
I was very dissapointed by the Open Beta gameplay with a lot of things that just lead me to think that this game isn't for me.

But as a hardcore fan of St i wanted this weekend to give another try to the game as probably it would be the only opportunity to play a St mmo in a looot of time (or ever), but just this new try is even more dissapointed that the previous.

I start playing and create a charm custom alien and with a lot of options, very customizable and i finished after a time with a character that i would be very proud off.

++ Character creation.

One whole experience is the game stability and performance, and this one at this point have one of the worse ones that i see in a looong time, i have about 2 hard crashes in just 30 minutes, then the problems with the server started (disconnects, not connecting etc), this behaviour was constant along the weekend of each hour with a lot of luck i could play about 20-30 mins.

-- Game stability (client crashes, server loads, server disconnects)

Then i started the game, the first seconds i could notice some thing, first the avatar isn't nearly as detailed as in the character creation, next the ships interior looks wrong, some furnitures looks like 2x the normal size (ex. elevators), the room sizes seems also wrong (it's even more noticiable in the ships bridge and in earth dock, a massive spacedock that dwarf 600m ships could be walked around in ¿2 minutes?), also the avatar movement are clumsy, very very clumsy.

- Interior scales

When i started with the gameplay i was soon throws at the action, the scripted mission looks aceptable, fits with the setting and from the beginning are at a good level but lacks a lot of important things in Star Trek setting, as investigation, diplomatic missions, scientific missions, etc... i continue with the startting missions but soon i crash (and true, its a crash) with the ground combat. First of all the ground combat feels the same if your char is Tactical, Scientific or Technical, true you have a handfull of diferent skills but the combat its the same, its no diference between a 4 Tactical group or a 4 Scientific one, next you have a lot of kick in the balls of Star Trek lore, Phasers that didn't kill at the first shot, "miracle" revival 2 seconds latter of being shot to death with a disruptor, energy shields ¿where in the hell somebody see a starship captain with energy shields? it looks like dune, too few skills for combat (one "normal" attack, one "special" attack and a c/c attack it looks like a console arcade), not cover, the group got mixed with the mobs in the 5 first seconds, very small scenarios, very close combat ranges (more than phasers looks like slings and even a sling could have longer range), etc... in the ground combat very, very few seems right.

+ Scripted missions feels like Star Trek enought
- Scripted (and non scripted ones) lacks a lot of Star Trek themes being only "click and scan" or "click and shot" ones
- Non Star Trek ground combat (Shields, armours, phasers not killing, etc..)
- Few Skills and ver tactical options (spam normal attack till special ones reloads)
- Non diference between the diferent clases
- Combat dinamyc being just a buton smash till one side is death
- Respawn seconds latter of being shot to death
- Very narrow environments

Some minutes latter i was beam to a ship and try again the ship combat and while the ship combat is better that the ground one still was sub-par with an actual space sim, first of all i could start with the scale, all the scale in the ships combat seems to be wrong also (satelites being 10x the size of a ship of 400m, startship debrish 2x the size of a ful ship), the ship graphics without being marvelous looks nice enought altought i miss a lot of things like more accurate dinamic lighting and more stunning effects) and the scenery normally without being top-notch are good enought althought some examples as asteroid minind stations are sub par (¿pistons of the sice of a ship and half asteroid?, ¿you are joking Criptyc?)

- Space scale
+ Ship and space graphics in general
- Some space graphics are sub-par

The next i try is power managment, and its sad to say but i notice not enought diference. Im player of Starfleet battles p&p games from loong ago, also played all the Starship command series and in both the power managment are miles away from this one, in both the power to engine make drastical diferences here you still could maneuver with only 20% at engines, there you must diver nearly 60-70% of power to weapons for a full alpha strike here you could make a full apha with only 20% of power in the weapons and still the phaser banks have energy left, also a lot of sistems are outside the energy managment ¿tractor beans?, ¿electonica warfare?, well after i trashed sometime with the power managment i start to fighting some ships first thing i see is that all weapons have the same range 10km, thats outside my undertanding ¿a phaser-III turret have the same range that a heavy-phaser bank?, ¿and my brand-new quantum torpedoe have the same damm 10km range?, next i notice that the weapons didn't match the cannon one ¿Mirandas class with only one foward torpedoe?, ¿only two phaser banks one foward and one after? it dindn't have any logical inside Star Trek, if you have a Ip is to follow it up, not to put the names of the Ip in another diferent one and have a flavour.

- Power managment is ridiculous
- All weapons have the same range, poor tactical options
- The weapons and models didn't match the Star Trek cannon

When the combat starts i feel that is funnny, cicle around the targets to hit exposed shields and to hide yours at the same time and to bring the more weapons the better into the enemy, but a lot of flaws could be saw after some combats, for example the combat is too fast ¿5 secs torpedoes reload times?, phasers could be fired almost allways without any power issues, in a lot of combat you just shoot down all the enemy shields as is faster than seek the hole in the shields, the weapons could't be fired to two ships (for example fowards one to one and backwards other to another ship), the shields are reinforcered from 10% to full strenght in just a couple of seconds (reinforce+skill) also the ship could not move in a 3d environment (rolls, slides, innmelmans) and is just 2d with one fake 3rd dimension, to finish the disenchant with the combat i have a lot of discrepancies with a lot of skills (overload torpedoes that need no more power, infinite shuttles to use in board trys that seems that the transport are all out of service) and the damage model is just a joke, the ship is damaged and ¿are brought to full strengt in just a couple of minutes in mid-combat?, ¿the shields are raised after being shot down in just a couple of seconds?, ¿the crew revived in mid space by a miracle?, ¿after being shot at the cells to nearly destruction i've the same power that at the start of the combat?, this game in ship combat is just miiiles away from years ago game like Starhip Command I & II

+ The combat is funny (at least for a time)
+ The combat fx are good and run smooth even with a good fleet in screen
- The combat is not just Star Trek (taking into acount for example Starfleet Battles) is just "generic space combat"
- The combat isn't 3d, only pseudo 3d that brings more problems that solutions
- The mass combat is just too chaotic no tactical and just too buttons smashing
- Wrong skills to use into Star Trek settings (infinite shuttles, overloads, etc..)
-- Damage model (miracle repairs to full hull strenght in a couple of minutes, crew revival, no equipment damage)

And i just need to review the socialization of the game and in the head start i see the same that was in the closed beta, very smalls shards (20-50 people and a lot of shards) that makes very dificult to share the game world with nobody (you could meet a person and never see him again althought you both are in the same space region, but in diferent shards), the game encourages the competition not the coperation (runs for the anomalities), even the social hubs are so instances that they are verym very few social interaction in the games, the lack of roles also make this worse and as the instances scale with group sice is just better being alone in the mission that with some pickups, the example are the forced groups, you are forced to groups when you enter a system, make the mission alone (anyone ever send a message to the group) and left the sistem and the group without even a word, the fleet actions are just dps zergs of loners that want to bring the more the better firepower, without any tactical sense or coperation-

-- Too instanced
-- Lack of true cooperation
+ Dificult that siuted the players inside

And finally the character and ship progresion, is just a mezz, from skills that you dont known if they work and the effect (¿anyone could tell the diference between +6 in phasers and +12 for example) to skills that seems just inutile (¿hello science ones?) and to the fact that as you progress you allways feel the same ("im liutenat yuup i've one more skill in 10 levels from the officials) the game lacks true skills progresion, also the equiment model from both the spaceship and the characters are wrong first of all ¿how could you mount midspace some captured disruptors on your federation ship? "scotty you have 10 minutes to dismout the quantum torpedoes and mount the disruptors" and in a film never ever you would see a federation starship with non fererations weapons it would be a supplies nightmare (try to imagine an army in with the soldier could choose the weapon that he likes, "noo i need not that m16 ammo, y use a 2ww german machinegun that my father brings from bastonge") and has no sense. Also the avatar equipment seems dragged from Dune instead of star trek, ¿mines?, ¿turrets?, ¿heavy weapons?, ¿power suits? i never see Piccard that shoots his sniper rifle and a second latter folds out the heavy repeating phaser and bring automatic fire into the klingons...

-- lacks of character progression
- the equipment model is just wrong (¿klingon disruptor on federations ships? com'on)
- the avatars are like crisis guys and kill all the Star Trek flavour (power armour, heavy weapons, etc...)

And it's just all my friens just the same as in the Cb and the Ob and not enought Star Trek for me to overcome the huge handicaps and shortcommings that the game has.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrdp
I was very dissapointed by the Open Beta gameplay with a lot of things that just lead me to think that this game isn't for me.
I stopped reading right here and follwed that up with a /facepalm.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerToter View Post
I stopped reading right here and follwed that up with a /facepalm.
Well, its you choice but the game didn't improve by the way of closing the eyes but i suppose that after you (as plural, not singular) couldn't say no more "its just beta" it's the only thing that you could do.

But when the game where in the one digit players and see no more development (see CO) please, think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Well, its you choice but the game didn't improve by the way of closing the eyes but i suppose that after you (as plural, not singular) couldn't say no more "its just beta" it's the only thing that you could do.

But when the game where in the one digit players and see no more development (see CO) please, think about it.
Don't expect to see MMO improve right after Open Beta and during the Head Start. If you can't be patient and if so many things are not to your taste you can try to come back in a few months. But there is just too much that you dont like. I don't think the game will ever change that much...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
sorry dude but tldr

Once you think "hmm... this game might not be for me"
you move on.
you dont write a 15 page dissertation on how to make the game better by your definition.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Cool story bro.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
- the equipment model is just wrong (¿klingon disruptor on federations ships? com'on)
Did you know that even American's can use AK47's ?
i could xdress as a woman if i wanted too even tho its not made for men.

sound like you are too tight up with some other st-game too see how awsome STO realy is.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
If you don't like it, then leave.

Those of us who like it will stay and have a good time

No game developer is perfect and no game is perfect for everyone.
Cryptic is following what their vision of Star Trek is and that is all
we will have here. Not your or my vision of Star Trek.

I don't mind playing around in their universe but if you don't there is
nothing stopping you from leaving..

Have fun here or elsewhere.. its all up to you :p