Lt. Commander
How about a science ability that applies the same kind of penalties to the scanning ship as a cloaked ship receives in order to get a big passive boost to the scanning ability. No shields, lowered power levels, unable to use other BO abilities -> ability to detect cloaked ships much better. If the bonus stacked with other science ship bonuses it would make their advertised role as cloak finders more useful without insta-killing detected Klingons. Would this help to keep the PvP fights from getting too "slow" in the eyes of Fed seekers without unfairly cancelling the Klingons best advantage?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I'd rather see something like...

Science Ship ability: Long Range Tachyon Burst (or whatever)

The ship that does this ability has its weapon and shield energy set to 0 for 5 seconds. All cloaked vessels within ___km become visible for 1 second. This ability can be activated once every 10 seconds. It doesn't actually shut off the cloaking device, it just renders the ship temporarily visible.

The range is modified by AUX power. If you do it while using full impulse (5 AUX power), its range is like 1km. If you do it at 100 AUX power the range is 25km.

Basically, a powerful ability to reveal cloakers has to have a pretty sizable disadvantage and shouldn't COMPLETELY nullify cloaking devices.

I also wonder if ships engaged in Full Impulse should have a much larger signal, making them visible from much further away. That is, an uncloaked ship doing Full Impulse would be visible from 50km away while a cloaked ship going full impulse would be visible from 12km away.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I'd rather see something like...

Science Ship ability: Long Range Tachyon Burst (or whatever)

The ship that does this ability has its weapon and shield energy set to 0 for 5 seconds. All cloaked vessels within ___km become visible for 1 second. This ability can be activated once every 10 seconds. It doesn't actually shut off the cloaking device, it just renders the ship temporarily visible.

The range is modified by AUX power. If you do it while using full impulse (5 AUX power), its range is like 1km. If you do it at 100 AUX power the range is 25km.

Basically, a powerful ability to reveal cloakers has to have a pretty sizable disadvantage and shouldn't COMPLETELY nullify cloaking devices.

I also wonder if ships engaged in Full Impulse should have a much larger signal, making them visible from much further away. That is, an uncloaked ship doing Full Impulse would be visible from 50km away while a cloaked ship going full impulse would be visible from 12km away.
Making the ship visible for even one second, in particular if it appears to everyone on the map, makes it too easy to pinpoint the location and follow up with a Charged Particle Burst. The detecting ship in this case should not be "weapons hot" with BO skills or weapons. The way the game works most likely if you can see something in range, you can target it by hitting tab at the right time.. and with the delay to cloak kicking back in before weapons lock breaks I think this would be too tough on Klingons. Maybe the detection can be with the same type of player feedback that the "scan for anomalies" scanner uses to determine the direction of a cloaked ship but not actually reveal it?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I see a bunch of whiny klingons who don't want to admit that cloaking without any valid counter is overpowered.

Does cloaking give you an advantage if there isn't a science ship around? Yes.
Does detection give you an advantage when there isn't a cloaked ship around? No.

So why should detection be penulized? One good reason?

Just admit that even if Science ships decloaked every Klingon within 10km cloaking would still be insanely powerful because you can see enemies coming from 20km away and decide wether to run or fight while the federation can do nothing but roll all their ship into a big ball because they don't know what's coming at them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't call it "insanely powerful".

In the end, Klingons still have to decloak to fight. We still have less hull, weaker shields and the same access to weapons and officer powers as Feds, though, so once the battle begins we are at a small disadvantage. Not to mention we still have no T2 cruiser and we won't be getting any actual science ships.

I do agree that Klingons should not be allowed to stall a match by remaining cloaked for 15 minutes. Calling the ability "insanely overpowered" is just trolling, though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothnang
Does cloaking give you an advantage if there isn't a science ship around? Yes.
Cloaking also gives you the severe disadvantages when there are no science ships around. This point is invalid.

Quote:
Does detection give you an advantage when there isn't a cloaked ship around? No.
Don't use the "active detection" skill and you won't suffer the penalties - just like a ship that can cloak but does not do so. It provides a tactical option.

Quote:
So why should detection be penulized? One good reason?
My goal in suggesting this is to provide a long range detection ability in addition to the short range skills. One which does not pull Klingons out of cloak or give the detector the ability to target the cloaked ship. It keeps the match moving along as the Federation will have some ability to close in on them without nullifying the cloak. To try and promote a more hunter/seeker active role for ships that want to spec this way in order to find cloaked ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I do agree that Klingons should not be allowed to stall a match by remaining cloaked for 15 minutes.
This will become a bigger and bigger issue if not addressed.. hence my suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
We shoud have a 4th Officer class that is allowed to bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish.

Just like Voltaire.

--m.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Feds just have to figure out how to weather the initial storm in PvP if they do that well then they are most likely going to win that engagement, because as it has been said multiply times, we lose survivability for the ability to cloak.

Yes it is possible for a losing klink team to grief the feds by staying cloaked, but its not a lot different than the losing Fed team that keeps warping out of the BG, earlier today we had our 5 man team end up killing 12 different Feds to finish the map, there was a lot of down time while the Queues refilled the losing side.