Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
if u are on an allowance im going to go on a limb and say youre probably young get out there dont stay indoors playing games all day... i work full-time and like to play once in awhile to unwind so the price works out just fine but if I was poor or a student for example I think getting into an MMO would be one of the worst things you can do cuz your time is much better spent elsewhere

my 2 cents
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE_LoD View Post
Fixed it for you
This IS an MMORPG. Subscriptions pay for ongoing development.

Don't like it? Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow, welcome to MMORPGs, bub - where $50 box prices and monthly subscription fees have been the standard for over a decade.

Granted, I do think that MMORPGs aren't quite as novel as they used to be, and perhaps charging that much is rather silly considering there's all these F2P alternatives these days... still, there's a diference betwen that and being surprised monthly subscriptions are happening, as the original poster would seem to be.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Fixed it for you
Uh, no.

"Massively Multiplayer Online". MMO. STO pretty much falls under this definition.

And I mentioned Guild Wars already.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
its very typical of MMO's to use this pay model. its just how it goes. you pay for the game, the monthly fee goes to more/better hardware, more content post launch, patches, updates, events etc..

you realize this game requires a credit card to play right? if your too young for a job then you have to use your parents credit card, if they have one. and you usually have to be at least 13 to play MMO's. and on top of the games fee, you'll likely have to pay the interest on that payment too for the credit card. (least id have my kids do so.) less its a credit/debit card.

idk if cryptic uses game cards or not. but might look out for them. their usually like 30$ for a 2 month payment.

personally this game isnt just "covered in poop as you said" but a really good game, ive been telling myself to not play much till tuesday and i get the pre-order items, as im going to wipe my character and use the joined trill, but i keep ending up playing for hours lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precookedmage
I think the price is a scam, as far as I know you pay 50 dollars to play for 30 days and then pay 74 dollars to play for 6 months. I can't believe that you have to pay that much for this game, I am getting all depressed thinking about it. I am going to try and go on with this, but I have no job and I'm to young to get one and I have a low allowance so I think cryptic is just turning a piece of modern marvel and slapping poop all over it. If anyone can give me more info, that would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Pirate
Uh, no.

"Massively Multiplayer Online". MMO. STO pretty much falls under this definition.

And I mentioned Guild Wars already.

-np
The game is no different than Guild Wars but in Space and Guild Wars is not a MMO.

MMO = MASSIVE MULTI-PLAYER ONLINE

The game is Multi-Player and it is online but in no way, shape or form is 5v5 or 10v10 combat massive. I was doing gaming with 49 other people in the early to mid 90's. Freaking FPS's have had more poeple online fighting each other at the same time and they are not MMO's.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Star Trek Online is a single player game with some multi-player aspects but it is not massive by design. The game is akin to playing a single player game and then hooking up to Gamespy for some multi-player action, that is not the definition of a MMO now is it?

Wanting, hoping and wishing for something to be something to justify you being ripped off for $15 a month for a 'guild wars in space' game that should be free doesnt look good, it looks pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I was in no way shape or form defending the quality of the game.

Merely using specific definitions.

There are thousands of players flying around in the sectors, hundreds per zone instance.

That qualifies it as "massively multiplayer", even if the grouping is only in 5s or 10s.

The point is, it is a pay to play model. Which is fairly common in this day and age.

Your attempt to derail the thread into discussing the quality of said game just smacks of bitterness, buddy. It ain't healthy.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Fixed it for you
I don't like the color blue. So, THIS is not blue! How can people say THIS is blue? It's nothing LIKE blue. Real blue should look like THIS! Ah, now THIS is blue. People really should stop calling THIS blue. I don't think it is blue and I don't like it. So people should stop calling it blue!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
50-60 for a game is pretty the normal, all your MMO's were that way even WOW. The games tend to drop down to 20 bucks after being out for several years. Think 15 a month started after AO ( Anarchy Online ), been that way ever since other than a few games that offer free online. But usually those games rarely add any content as well.
But comes down to pay or get out. If you cant afford it, sorry to hear. In your case, do more chores or figure out if you want to Play STO or goto the movies, buy candy, toys.. yadda yadda.. see it as a early life lesson in budgeting and spending your money wisely.

Good luck with it,

Next!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCraft View Post
I do see that it can be a bit much up front by paying for the game AND monthly. Paying monthly though is the only way for them to keep dishing out excellent and new content. Its a continual service, you have to pay.

I like The Eve Online approach.
- Download game free
- Play free 15 day trial
- Activate account for 20$
- Get first month free
- 15$ a month after that (with bonuses for longer periods payed up front)
Thing with Eve Online tho it was $50, 30 days free then $15 a month when it was first released. You also didn't get a extra free 15 day trial.