Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precookedmage
I think the price is a scam, as far as I know you pay 50 dollars to play for 30 days and then pay 74 dollars to play for 6 months. I can't believe that you have to pay that much for this game, I am getting all depressed thinking about it. I am going to try and go on with this, but I have no job and I'm to young to get one and I have a low allowance so I think cryptic is just turning a piece of modern marvel and slapping poop all over it. If anyone can give me more info, that would be appreciated.
That's how all Pay to Play MMO works. That's the only way to maintain the level of quality and content over the years. They also have people in their company who take monthly salaries.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Pirate
I was in no way shape or form defending the quality of the game.

Merely using specific definitions.

There are thousands of players flying around in the sectors, hundreds per zone instance.

That qualifies it as "massively multiplayer", even if the grouping is only in 5s or 10s.

The point is, it is a pay to play model. Which is fairly common in this day and age.

Your attempt to derail the thread into discussing the quality of said game just smacks of bitterness, buddy. It ain't healthy.



-np
No.. having 50,000 people online but only ever being able to communicate or play with 10 at a time does not make the game massive, it makes the game restrictive. You need to learn the definition of those two words that are underlined.

Massive: Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale

Restrictive: to confine or keep within certain often specified limits or selected bounds

You want massive?


This is ***MASSIVE.***

See the difference? One game ( STO ) has all kind of restrictions like 10vs10 gamespy combat and instances and another game, which is truly massive by design, has no instances what so ever. Go from 1 corner of the map to the other, never zoning, never loading new instances, can run into anyone, from 1 solo person to a army on the move of 350 people.

STO massive, what a joke. Its no more massive than Diablo or Guild Wars. Stop spreading the lies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE_LoD View Post
No.. having 50,000 people online but only ever being able to communicate or play with 10 at a time does not make the game massive, it makes the game restrictive. You need to learn the definition of those two words that are underlined.

Massive: Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale

Restrictive: to confine or keep within certain often specified limits or selected bounds

You want massive?


This is ***MASSIVE.***

See the difference? One game ( STO ) has all kind of restrictions like 10vs10 gamespy combat and instances and another game, which is truly massive by design, has no instances what so ever. Go from 1 corner of the map to the other, never zoning, never loading new instances, can run into anyone, from 1 solo person to a army on the move of 350 people.

STO massive, what a joke. Its no more massive than Diablo or Guild Wars. Stop spreading the lies.
What, you want to play in a zone with 10,000 other players? Yeah, that would be fun. Try rendering all of them at once.

Massive simply means that lots of people play and you have the opportunity to play with a lot of them, but not all at the same time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
This tired MMO vs. non-MMO rant is tired and has nothing to do with the OP concerns. This game is played by people connecting online, 99% of the games that you connect to online you pay a monthly fee to do so...sure there are exceptions to the rule but not that many.

Basically $15 or so a month is standard, as is $50 or so for the game itself.

Go whine in another thread about instancing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE_LoD View Post
bla blah....
Only because STO does not fall in your own personal definition of what massive is does not mean that STO is not a MMO. Discussing semantics is waste of time. For you its not MMORPG but for all of us it is.

Ever heard about difference of opinion?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Only because STO does not fall in your own personal definition of what massive is does not mean that STO is not a MMO. Discussing semantics is waste of time. For you its not MMORPG but for all of us it is.

Ever heard about difference of opinion?
Your opinion that a Honda Civic is a good car is your opinion, you trying to tell people its a sports car is a definition and it is not. STO by definition is not a MMO at all because it is not massive, that is not my opinion, that is fact.

The fact is, this game offers nothing a really MMO offers and therefore should not be charging a fee, just like Guild Wars does not charge a fee.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE_LoD View Post
No.. having 50,000 people online but only ever being able to communicate or play with 10 at a time does not make the game massive, it makes the game restrictive. You need to learn the definition of those two words that are underlined.

Massive: Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale

Restrictive: to confine or keep within certain often specified limits or selected bounds

You want massive?


This is ***MASSIVE.***

See the difference? One game ( STO ) has all kind of restrictions like 10vs10 gamespy combat and instances and another game, which is truly massive by design, has no instances what so ever. Go from 1 corner of the map to the other, never zoning, never loading new instances, can run into anyone, from 1 solo person to a army on the move of 350 people.

STO massive, what a joke. Its no more massive than Diablo or Guild Wars. Stop spreading the lies.
I'm torn.

On one hand, this is the obvious Darkfall Online fanboy as he's calling that laggy, exploit-ridden piece of crap a prime example of "massive."

On the other hand, he does have a point that when you heavily instance a game, it loses a great deal of that worldly feeling. I have a lifetime subscription to an experience I can largely get from a single player game, no?

Very tricky business. Where is Massively Multiplayer now? Where was Massively Multiplayer ever, if it can't even manage those numbers without crashing into a fireball? Even EverQuest would get very unstable if there were over a hundred or so players in the same zone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Only because STO does not fall in your own personal definition of what massive is does not mean that STO is not a MMO. Discussing semantics is waste of time. For you its not MMORPG but for all of us it is.

Ever heard about difference of opinion?
even moreso, put it this way... this is what they wanna charge for their product, and they are firm on the monthly payment (exception: lifetime subs) .. Is it worth it to YOU (the OP in particular and anybody else)? If not then rant/complain all you want but you'd be better off playing DDO guild wars or facebook games or whatever u fancy cuz they are free. If its worth it then you will pay.

like smoking I was hooked for years and the government of Canadia insisted on raising taxes till it got up to nearly 10 bucks a pack of smokes... was it worth it to me? yes of course, so I had paid even if it was through the nose. wouldn't have bought if I didn't think it was worth it (anyways i quit for health reasons)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE_LoD View Post
No.. having 50,000 people online but only ever being able to communicate or play with 10 at a time does not make the game massive, it makes the game restrictive. You need to learn the definition of those two words that are underlined.

Massive: Large or imposing, as in quantity, scope, degree, intensity, or scale
Did you even see, that you didn't even write the one point you claim missing here?

"At the same point at the same time, able to see each other and interact at the same time". Why didn't you add that?
Correct: Because it's not part of the definition of "massive".

Thanks for showing us yourself how wrong you are.
You REALLY need to learn the meaning of the word massive.

Edit: And to differ between "opinion" and "fact". You get those confused constantly...

Disclaimer: If you don't like the game, it's fine with me, but making up your own version of what "massive" means won't help you in anything else than looking ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geldonyetich View Post
I'm torn.

On one hand, this is the obvious Darkfall Online fanboy as he's calling that laggy, exploit-ridden piece of crap a prime example of "massive."

On the other hand, he does have a point that when you heavily instance a game, it loses a great deal of that worldly feeling. I have a lifetime subscription to an experience I can largely get from a single player game, no?

Very tricky business. Where is Massively Multiplayer now? Where was Massively Multiplayer ever, if it can't even manage those numbers without crashing into a fireball? Even EverQuest would get very unstable if there were over a hundred or so players in the same zone.
Perhaps it is your system. The game has not been buggy for me at all, laggy sure, at times, specifically in super large battles ( 300 vs 300 ) when I had a majorly outdated system. Now that my system is up to par to some extent, I can partake in the larger battles and be of some use.

As for exploit redden, give the jerks some time, they will be exploiting in STO as well. Regardless of what you think of Darkfall, it is massive and that aint no lie.

For less money you could have gotten a much more dynamic single play sci fi experience out of Mass Effect 2. Its a shame you spent $240 + the copy of the game for a single player experience.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 AM.