Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Warp Speed!
02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
As you go up in Tier do the ships go faster than Warp 7.71? I find it odd that my ship can Transwarp to SOL but not go faster than Warp 7.71.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambroadside View Post
As you go up in Tier do the ships go faster than Warp 7.71? I find it odd that my ship can Transwarp to SOL but not go faster than Warp 7.71.
There's an episode of TNG that set an upper limit on Warp Speed and only RARELY will there be a chance to move faster than a given Warp speed. In the episode, it was discovered that Warp bubbles were disrupting an area of space. It was going to cause the destruction of a species home world.

Transwarp, as I understand it, goes through some kind of different dimensional subspace thing and isn't exactly "traditional" warp speed due to that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
If I remember right, my Tier 2 (Lt. Cmdr) ship was going above warp 8 in Sector Space, so yes, they do go above warp 7.7. At least, in Open Beta they did
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelzie View Post
There's an episode of TNG that set an upper limit on Warp Speed and only RARELY will there be a chance to move faster than a given Warp speed. In the episode, it was discovered that Warp bubbles were disrupting an area of space. It was going to cause the destruction of a species home world.

Transwarp, as I understand it, goes through some kind of different dimensional subspace thing and isn't exactly "traditional" warp speed due to that.
This issue was mentioned to be fixed in the first episode of Voyager and even then the warp speed limit was 5 not 7.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, supposedly Voyager's variable geometry warp field fixed the problem of damaging subspace at high warp speeds... It was the reason behind it's articulated nacelles. If I remember correctly, the angle of the nacelle pylons changed slightly depending on the warp speed the ship wanted to travel at. I guess we can assume they figured out how to incorporate this fix without having to articulate warp nacelles anymore.

But to be clear, the warp factors displayed in the game are not anything close to true canon values. Based on TNG canon, it should take about a day to travel from Earth to Alpha Centauri (the closest star) at warp 9. Obviously, we are able to make that trek in less than a minute in the game. Ultimatley it doesn't matter as the shows were never really consistent on how long it took to travel various distances and various speeds. It's often said that the ships travel at the speed of plot. The in-game speeds, based on ST canon ought to be in the 9.9999 range or so. The warp factors displayed in the game are an entirely different scale.

At any rate, I think the max warp speed you travel at is dependent on your level... it seems to increase as you level up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Where is the warp speed listed in game? I don't see that in the UI.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
Where is the warp speed listed in game? I don't see that in the UI.
Greetings fellow STO member. I just wanted to compliment you on your Bender avatar. I give it a 10/10.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambroadside View Post
As you go up in Tier do the ships go faster than Warp 7.71? I find it odd that my ship can Transwarp to SOL but not go faster than Warp 7.71.
Yes, you can go faster. My Consitution was 7.7 when I first got her, now she's pushing Warp 8. And during Beta, my Intrepid was pushing 9.2.

But what enhances it, I honestly don't know. I assume it's due to level.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 PM.