Lt. Commander
Because I was told that if you get a new BO to replace one you don't get the points back or anything.. so until another 20 or 30 levels when I decide what I want to be doing end-game and what skills are the best for it etc seems like a good idea to save my points since they seem so hard to come by?

for example i'm level 11 now and have something like 1,000 BOpoints, which gets me something like 2 BO skills maxed out... my noobship has 3 BO's each with 2 skills trainable at my current rank, seems really slow levelling these so I figure why waste points now when I might change my mind later and be screwed out of so many. but now i'm rambling.

who's with me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
You'll always be able to earn Bridge Officer skill points even after you hit RA-5. Planning is nice and will help you out early on but if you spend points in a skill you get rid of later it won't hurt you in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I understand your logic to this but the problem is that when you do get to end game without having some good BOs... well. Good luck. It's very hard to do things later on in the game and not be able to count on those BOs and their abilities.

The good thing about the BO points is that you can always get more... skill points... not so much. Unless something's changed and I didn't get the memo.

Here's what I am doing...

I take a good hard look at all the skills available for that rank. I figure out what abilities would best suit my ship compliment and capabilities and then I divy those points up. The good thing about the BOs is that you can always TRAIN a new skill if you don't like it. I worry about what I've got in front of me at that rank and level and then plan for the next when that next rank comes and I can promote one... Make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 4 My intention...
02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm putting the minimum points needed for promotion into my BOs. At least until I am able to train them in level 3 skills. That gives me the ability to swap skills anytime a better one is available and also gives me to freedom to replace the Officer if I need to (If you allow one officer to give you attitude they all will).

So you need to spend 200 for Liutenant, 600 for LT. Commander, I'm guessing 1200 for Commander and so on. But always be on the look-out for those tier3 skills so you can trying to invest those required point somewhere you'll actually keep them.
Lt. Commander
I am in the same situation as the OP, I have bridge officer points that I do not want to spend because I am not sure if I want my current bridge officers in the long run, and I want to hold off for better (rare) skills. I assume this is going to be the case for many people, because why would you want to waste points that are going to be taken away if you see a better skill, or want to replace your bridge officer?

I would suggest that Cryptic allow us to get the bridge officer training points back if we replace a skill or replace an officer. Or if you are worried about there not being repercussions, you could have a take skills back option where you have to pay some reputation points to do so. Or you could have the skill points you apply be attached to the position (i.e. Lt. Ground) instead of the actual skill, and you can use the train feature to transfer your points and/or actual skill to another BO.