Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree that gaming company's need to start being held responsible for what they release but this isn't a game that has fallen short of what they promised to deliver. Others on the other hand should have been sued.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcsola2003
That oyster thing's probably from the law requiring that allergens have to be stated on the label. It's actually in the EULA somewhere that Crytic reserves the right to deny service at any time, which covers downtime. No one just bothers to read it.

Edit: Bingo., found it:
If one thing has been proven already. Then it's that EULA's don't hold up in court.

The EULA is just there to scare the player. Nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjik View Post
Sadly, a step backwards for humanity, it likely became largely OK to scream lawsuit shortly after that guy dropped hot coffee in his lap at McDonald's, he sued for injury and won, all because the stupid cup didn't state it was HOT.

how sad is that?
or that mythical law suit of the woman driving the RV, turned on Cruise Control, went back to make a cup of coffee (or something) and the RV obviously crashed. Won the case against the RV company because they didn't say cruise control isn't autopilot. Or something to that effect. Could be a myth though.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Lawyers have to eat too...
I actually once had a Lawyer, who had his own law-practice, threaten me with a lawsuit. So I had to have another lawyer who owed me a favor deal with the first lawyer and we all parted amicably.

Before you dismiss lawsuit threats, please remember, sometimes venting is the only option left to people who have their blood pressure so high their heads would explode were it not for the easy and convenient threat of a lawsuit!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huutini View Post
I always wish, someone would make his claim true and actually really SUE the big bad MMO developer. That way, we could link forever to some cool story how the small little Player got smashed in court for his, uh, "self-confidence".
Do companies like Sony count?

Couple of months ago, some joker got permabanned from PSN for trolling, insulting players and language. He tried suing Sony - the case got thrown out of court. Said joker's not done, though - he's appealing and adding charges.

Pretty LOLworthy, if you ask me. The guy clearly violated the EULA, which the judge treated as a contract and didn't let the frivolous laysuit get to trial.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid
In my opinion, this is when "sue fever" became an epidimic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants
That's actually one of the few times that I agreed with the lawsuit.

I used to work in a cafe and it's stupid to serve coffee that hot as it's too hot to even hold normally without extra napkins around the paper cup or whatever. Doesn't help McDonald's case that they've received similar complaints in the past and they just ignored them even after accepting the fact that they are a burn hazard. Sure, she was dumb for putting the cup between her legs, but it wouldn't have been any different if someone just bumped into her and made her spill it on herself.

Point still stands on everything else though.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I would really like to see these people to sue Crytpic and embarrass themselves in the process.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid
In my opinion, this is when "sue fever" became an epidimic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants
Did you happen to read the whole article? To suffer 3rd degree burns from a hot water-based liquid would mean that the coffee was really beyond too hot to drink.

I hate defending this kind of thing, but that was really excessively hot coffee.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
haha yep it's the ultimate 'gotta prove x person wrong' unless you want to take the law into your own hands. would be awesome to be a lawyer in a society where folks sue at the drop of a hat cuz you'd always have clients
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronas
If one thing has been proven already. Then it's that EULA's don't hold up in court.

The EULA is just there to scare the player. Nothing more.
People keep saying this - but none of them have ever actually managed to cite the case where it was proven. Maybe you can be the first and actually point me at the case law, because so far it's just something that people who don't like obeying the EULA keep spouting on forums.