Lt. Commander
# 1 Still struggling
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey all.

Like many of you I was very excited all those years ago about STO, and like many of you I was bummed when the original developers and that mission was scrubbed. When I found out it had been resurrected by a different company, I rejoiced. I have been a Star Trek fan for many many years, it was more than just a television series to me, which I'm sure a lot of you can identify with, so needless to say my anticipation and my expectations were/are high.

However, I find that I'm struggling to get into this game, aside from the seemingly random downtimes and having to play the same intro since CB 5+ times in a row now, I sincerely thought I would be hooked, but I'm not. Maybe I need more time with it, or perhaps I need to actually give it some time and come back to it, but for some reason it just isnt carrying that fire anymore.

Now I should say that I'm currently on the Mass Effect 2 craze and that probably isnt helping at all, but the more I think about it the more I believe that I assumed that the game would be different than it is now, not making sense? I'll try and clarify.

When the game was first announced by Perpetual (I think?) it was advertised that multiple players would serve aboard 1 star ship. Now I'm not sure how they would have implemented that since not everyone would love to sit at a science station all day during their playtime and scan for Dilithium Crystals, but the idea of having a crew of people onboard a Galaxy Class starship was awesome to me.

Now just to clarify, I'm in no way bashing the state of the game as it is, I think Cryptic developed the game to the best of their ability and interpreted Star Trek as best as they could. A lot of people would argue that its a great game and I have no right telling anyone or trying to convince anyone otherwise, I happen to like the ship to ship combat system as its something reminiscent of the Starfleet Command days.

Anyways, the point of this post I guess is to sort of get your (readers) opinion on what you believed the game would be like before knowing what it is now, and if maybe either it deserves more time on my part, or a break for a few months and another look.

I would appreciate it if the flames were kept to a minimum, it may be a lot to ask from many of you but I truly did not write this with the intention of souring Cryptic, the game or its fans. I love Star Trek in all of its forms, I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing out of it that you all are getting.. I'm jealous lol..

PS: If any of you remember Earth and Beyond, it sort of had the same format/formula, so its one of the reasons why I find it so hard to believe I'm having trouble getting into this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Yikes, got snubbed because I started this earlier.. Bump for help!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by straden View Post
When the game was first announced by Perpetual (I think?) it was advertised that multiple players would serve aboard 1 star ship. Now I'm not sure how they would have implemented that since not everyone would love to sit at a science station all day during their playtime and scan for Dilithium Crystals, but the idea of having a crew of people onboard a Galaxy Class starship was awesome to me.
Actually, I was quite relieved when Perpetual got scrubbed and Cryptic took over. This is the first Cryptic MMO I've played... but Perpetual's plan was to have a Star Trek WoW, by making everyone play a crewman and the ship would be analogous to a town. You'd beam down and do missions on foot, beam up to sell your loot, etc. They had the thought of adding more ships and commanding your own at some point in the indeterminate future.

What I wanted was a combination of strategic space combat and beaming down for away missions, and command my own ship. We have that here.

The problem is that the complexities and nuances of STO aren't immediately obvious. A good portion of the game mechanics are non-intuitive and you have to dig and prod to tease out their meaning. And the tutorial and first few missions make the game look like a button-masher.

In some ways the game is a spiritual successor to E&B, I think. I'd just give it some time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Ah yes that sounds about right, I wasn't sure the exact detail in which Perpetual was floating that idea, despite the shortfall their idea did present itself to be interesting. The direction that Cryptic took the game was a good one I think, and it does put some E&B nostalgia in me, though imo the only thing that can succeed E&B is bringing it back .
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by straden View Post
Ah yes that sounds about right, I wasn't sure the exact detail in which Perpetual was floating that idea, despite the shortfall their idea did present itself to be interesting. The direction that Cryptic took the game was a good one I think, and it does put some E&B nostalgia in me, though imo the only thing that can succeed E&B is bringing it back .
So help bring EnB back - google "enb-emulator"

If STO hasn't grabbed you already, I'm doubtful it will at all although there is a slight chance if you've a hungering for Romulan play.

p.s. you do know that there were 9 classes in EnB and not just the 6 that were active. Well the 3 are active now.