Lt. Commander
I have a borg who I named Seven of Eleven (at first thinking itd already be taken) and it let me. Ive seen two other Seven of Elevens since then...
Whats is gonna be like tomorrow? 10 guys with the same name? 20?
I can somewhat uy the ships name's not being unique (even though It shouldnt happen but w/e) but PLAYER'S names? Cmon now
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Your unique identifier is your @name so character names themselves are not unique.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Yep it is one of the things I hate about the game. I wish they would get rid of the handles altogether and go to unique names for charaters and ships
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Meeber Zloot
Yep it is one of the things I hate about the game. I wish they would get rid of the handles altogether and go to unique names for charaters and ships
I agree on the Character part, the unique ID is a bit screwie, and really, shouldn't be needed if they just made "nicknames" unique

ship names i disagree on, they don't need to be made unique
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Meeber Zloot
They won't, and probably can't at this point. They thought they had a good solution to the "my name is taken" complaints in other MMO's, and ended up creating a new problem instead.

At any rate, since there are duplicate names, they can't suddenly make them unique at this point, so learn to live with it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, pretty much. It's the account that's unique.

charactername1@accountname1

There can only be 1 accountname1. Just like in Champions. The character name is not unique. Not a big deal really...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah7118
I have a borg who I named Seven of Eleven (at first thinking itd already be taken) and it let me. Ive seen two other Seven of Elevens since then...
Whats is gonna be like tomorrow? 10 guys with the same name? 20?
I can somewhat uy the ships name's not being unique (even though It shouldnt happen but w/e) but PLAYER'S names? Cmon now
There's no alternative. If they hadn't have done this, undoubtedly, there was already a Seven of Eleven in the game, so you'd have ended up with the following.

Seven of Eleven
Sevyn of Eleven
Sevven of Eleven
Seven of Elleven
Seven o Eleven
Sevin of Elevyn
Sevenn of Eleven
Etc. Etc.

I like it the way it is. I wish they would hide the handle, but *shrug* it's a step in the right direction. Personally, I'd have been happy with being able to have unique Full Names (First Middle Last).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
They won't, and probably can't at this point. They thought they had a good solution to the "my name is taken" complaints in other MMO's, and ended up creating a new problem instead.

At any rate, since there are duplicate names, they can't suddenly make them unique at this point, so learn to live with it.
I don't have a problem with it really. I very rarely ever send a tell to someone so no problems using the full name to do it. Also people can have the same name in RL so I don't see what the issue is.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Also, it's the system they use. Allows you have a type of global access to your accounts. If you're playing or have played their other games, you can chat into those games as well because of your global ID. I've got friends who still play champions and my friends list from that game is associated with my account so it's still there in my STO game.

When ya think about it, it's pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
seven of eleven? seriously? and you're complaining that you can't be the only one...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea