Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1361
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfniLuck
It's deliberate. Geneaology is the study of ancestry. Genesiology is the study of reproduction.
Ah gotcha.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1362
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkittin
ok it's not very scientific to say the childish-sounding "bugs" is it ifniluck :p it would be better if you said Insects or even arthropods since they aren't necessarily six-legged

worms for similar reasons should be called annelids
I thought about that, but I wasn't sure how accurate it would be. These are alien bugs and worms with a completely independent evolutions from their earth counterparts. Can they really be considered part of the same phylum just because they have a physical resembleance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkittin
the breeding table, well, it looks less usuable than the last version, I think making up your own icons for them is kinda a step backwards since they will never be as easily identifiable as the game "photographs" of the food, and also taking out the names doesn't really help anyone
It comes down to a constant battle with space issues. If I try to fit in all the food names I have to either make them small, and people complain that they can't read them, or I have these long spaghetti lines leading to whatever spare corner of the image I can fit them in, and people complain that its hard to follow. Switching to icons seemed the best way to get all the information in and keep things together. But the in-game icons aren't easily distinguishable. I would have to make them pretty big if I used those, and then again I run into space problems. There's just too much information to fit into a single page while keeping everyone happy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1363
03-21-2010, 12:08 AM
awww

the current version is fine, just ignore the whiners or keep both updated I guess

I really do think it's easier to just have it on one page the lines are fine they are colour coded and everything
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1364
03-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkittin
awww

the current version is fine, just ignore the whiners or keep both updated I guess

I really do think it's easier to just have it on one page the lines are fine they are colour coded and everything
The last page of the finished doc will be a reference sheet with all of it squeezed in however I can. That way the people with tired old eyes can use the multiple page version, and the people who want it all in one can use the reference sheet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1365
03-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Once again, great work and a big thank you to IfniLuck and all others contributing to the complete resolvement of the Tribble breeding mistery!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1366
03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I have officially Auld Pharte eyes. I'm glad you have it in a larger format as well as the small.

One of my fleet mates was so grateful that I shared info from this thread and my experiences with him that he gave me two klingon heart of targs. I was able to make a Zinc for both him and me. I thought that was so nice!


ZIN + Chateau Picard = SPA

Edit:

SPA + Croissant = VIT
MAT + spring wine = DOT
GRI + spring wine = DOT

Edit 2:
NIX + banana pancakes = SPA
SPA + feline supplement 74 = VIT
CAV + banana pancakes = SPA
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1367
03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Well hopefully the devs pop their eyes in here sometimes but I just had a sudden inspiration of what may be possible to be done to make tribble breeding really interesting. Whilst not as important as adding mission content of many kinds this would be a great addition if the person that deals with this side of things is running out of things to do

Assuming they use alpha texturing in the game they should be able to do this with minimal changes I hope. Anyways, here goes *** ALERT ... Great Wall of Text Incoming .... ALERT ***

Genetic Mutation:

Tier 1 Common Tribbles :- It is assumed that if this becomes possible they would have variant abilties of 0.5x bonus
Susilo ( White ) - Heal
Stahl ( Pink ) - Heal + Regen
Vitales ( Grey ) - Regen
Sparkes ( Cream ) - Resist
Dotson ( Brown ) - Damage + Resist
Thompson ( Black ) - Damage
-- These would have up to 50% chance of producing themselves, up to 40% chance of producing their siblings and up to 10% of mutating into a tier 2 Common Tribbles with 1.0x bonuses

EG.
Dotson + Heart of Targ (72%) would have the following chances:
Up to 40% chance of producing itself or a red colored variant
Up to 35% chance of producing another tier 1 or red colored variant
Up to 25% chance of producing a tier 2 offspring

Tier 2 would be an advanced version of its progenitor with the chance of mutating into a tier 3 uncommon tribble with 1.5x bonuses.
EG. Dotson Targ Red/Brown merged/patterned Damage and/or Resist combo

Dotson Targ + Vulcan Plomeek Soup ( 64% ) would have the following chances:
Up to 45% chance of producing a tier 1 or a orange colored variant
Up to 35% chance of producing another tier 2 or orange colored variant
Up to 20% chance of producing a tier 3 offspring

Tier 3 would be like tier 2 but more advanced and able to mutate into a tier 4 uncommon tribbles with 2.0x
Dotson Targ Plomeek + Bolian Souffle ( 64%?) would have the following chances:
Up to 50% chance of producing tier 2 or earlier or a blue colored variant
Up to 30% chance of producing another tier 2 or blue colored variant
Up to 20% chance of producing a tier 3 offspring

etc up to Tier 9 being the most rarest of tribbles and so impossible to get that they would be sought after..
With 80% chance of breeding any of the earlier breeds and only 20% chance of breeding one of its siblings and cousins that leaves no chance of a future generation. At least not yet rofl.

The percentages are the values for the lowest level food of 56% with the higher level food enhancing the chances even more.

The different percentage of food would help against the percentages by reducing the chance of it producing a lower tier and increasing the chance of a higher tier. Although I can't deduce a mathematical formula that would work *sigh*

So even with this simple 1 random per tribble per tier you would get 54 unique tribble breeds offering 0.5x to 5.0x heals and buffs. The higher the tier the rarer it is as it would take you alot longer to repeat the process successfully than a tier 4 one. So, if you want a tier 10 tribble with 5.0x single or multi buffs of varying colors you would have to pay big or spend a hell of a lot of time breeding to get the right combinations working together.. to oops .. you found a random mutation rofl.

Created a great tier 10 tribble ? Now can you remember how you created it ? So you go through and feed the same tribble with the same food at tier 1... nope, attempt 2 .. yep.. repeat for the tier 2 ... fails 3 times.. repeat .. well you get the picture. So despite knowing how you can create the tribble you want there is no guarantee you will be able to get there in less than 10 attempts.

Doing something like this would

1. Make it hard to predict exactly what would result with 100% accuracy,
2. Make tribble breeding complex by design and hopefully with enough combinations to keep us busy for ages. Especially if things were programmatically named/colored/attributed.
3. Make all food useful but rarer foods more useful resulting in rarer tribbles which should be marked accordingly.

This was the general idea I had behind tribble breeding when I first heard about it. Maybe not quite as complicated as this but similar enough to make it challenging.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1368
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
*Jae pulls out her calculus and statistics textbooks and blows the dust off the covers*

Haven't seen that much complexity in game math in quite some time. :p

I enjoy my polygeminology, and I think adding the randomness of an occasional mutation would definitely make it interesting. However, I suspect the devs probably would end up working on more content for us before tackling a project like this.

HEN + croissant = SPA
JAS + croissant = SPA

HEN + coffee = DOT
JAS + coffee = DOT
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1369
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOnasi
*Jae pulls out her calculus and statistics textbooks and blows the dust off the covers*

Haven't seen that much complexity in game math in quite some time. :p

I enjoy my polygeminology, and I think adding the randomness of an occasional mutation would definitely make it interesting. However, I suspect the devs probably would end up working on more content for us before tackling a project like this.

HEN + croissant = SPA
JAS + croissant = SPA

Yeah, I'm willing to wait for it. Would like to know if it is something they would like to include when time permits though

Rofl, and I did have a multi breed segment going but it would have been way way too long to handle that as well but suffice to say it would work in a similar way but would have a second tribbles percentage chances to be taken into account to offer a multi breed tribble. Can we say triple buff
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1370
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Quick question for Infiniluck, what program are you using to produce the flowcharts? They look beautiful.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 PM.