Lt. Commander
# 921
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwilow View Post
I picked up a bestbuy copy today to get the Rivera. Here's what I've gotten so far:

RIV + Vulcan Plomeek Soup = SPA
RIV + Klingon Gagh = STL (1 so far out of 3 in stack)
Wait ai minute.. you did what? You bought a $50 game JUST to get a tribble? You already had STO and bought ANOTHER copy? Really? And I thought I was crazy for getting the GS CE for the Connie ship.
Lt. Commander
# 922
02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antario
i might have a rivera breed

some idiot in my fleet (who doesnt seem to be very knowledgeable about tribbles) suddenly got a rivera with a dot, thom and duf with a food he doesnt remember

i cant affirm his claims, but for those interested in experimenting....thats what i know
There is a great difference between being an idiot and ignorant. I really think you mean ignorant, meaning he simply doesn't know about tribbles or their breeding.

I think it would be really cool if it were true but I don't believe it. The Riv is a purchase bonus, just like the Red Matter Cap and the Connie. I don't believe any of them are achievable other than purchasing specific game versions, and frankly, I don't think they should be.

If he has a Riv, I believe he got it in the C-store, perhaps not realizing what he did or was getting.

That said, I would love to be proven wrong and find out the Riv is breedable. I don't think it will happen, but I would love it.
Lt. Commander
# 923
02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Rivera + Klingon Raktajino = Dotson

This info courtesy of @timothy_atwood.
Lt. Commander
# 924
02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesden
There is a great difference between being an idiot and ignorant. I really think you mean ignorant, meaning he simply doesn't know about tribbles or their breeding.

I think it would be really cool if it were true but I don't believe it. The Riv is a purchase bonus, just like the Red Matter Cap and the Connie. I don't believe any of them are achievable other than purchasing specific game versions, and frankly, I don't think they should be.

If he has a Riv, I believe he got it in the C-store, perhaps not realizing what he did or was getting.

That said, I would love to be proven wrong and find out the Riv is breedable. I don't think it will happen, but I would love it.
Well, when alex told us about it yesterday I thought on it and I had a quadtriticale on me so I added the 3 tribbles and waited. But no luck. But seeing as the quad is the only item that hasn't bred a special tribble does make you wonder if there is a special combo that it gets used on to do something.
Lt. Commander
# 925
02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
If it is possible to breed a Rivera, I can think of only one circumstance in which it might happen, and even then I doubt it.

Back during my early experiments, before it became clear that consistent results required breeding a single tribble with a single food at a time, I ran some tests with multiple tribbles and food at once. I would often see a tribble eat but produce nothing, but only twice did I get any results that didn't align with the current tables.

In both cases, it was when I had a stack of food. What I found was that the tribble ate the entire stack in one gulp, and produced an explosion of offspring. Most were of the same (expected) type, but there were a few oddballs in the mix. I chalked it up to some bugginess in the tribble breeding code. I figured that some of the new tribbles were getting a chance to sneak in a bite while mom was busy chowing down the stack, and producing offspring of their own. But I never took the time to experiment with this.

So it's possible that force feeding entire stacks of food to a tribble can result in random mutations, and perhaps even a rivera with the right food/tribble combo.
Lt. Commander
# 926
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Well consider this: In the classic "Trouble with Tribbles" episode the Tribbles managed to eat an entire container full of quadrotriticale which yielded thousands of them. It's vaguely possible the Devs might have decided to do something with that scenario here.

Maybe the reason quadrotriticale hasn't produced anything notable in STO so far is because it's not intended to be used in one-to-one breedings. Just as a wild guess maybe something like 10 quadrotriticale together with some Tribbles could be used to make a Rivera or some-such.
Lt. Commander
# 927
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I wish I had tracked the full results of the test I did but I thought I just messed up so ignored it in the most part.

All I remember though was I had 3 tribbles in the bank of the same species and 3 foods of the same unstacked. The idea was to see if they consistently made the same tribble under those conditions. However the result was strangely unexpected whereby instead of getting 3 tribbles replacing the 3 items of food I got 2 tribbles and 1 item of food left over. I know it wasn't expensive food, just the vendor bought stuff and most likely the 56% food back then with the DOT/SPA/STL or THO/VIT/SUS group of tribbles I was documenting back then. I just can't recall what I got out of it but clearly not a special tribble
Lt. Commander
# 928
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Right, last two 72%, man I've burnt through some serious credits lol.

Tulaberry Wine + Thom = Stah
Tulaberry Wine + Susi = Stah

That means that I'm pleased to report the 72% food section on STO Intel is now complete: http://www.sto-intel.org/wiki/Tribble

Now there are likely to be some errors, so if anyone who is good with patterns etc could take a look. I will happily retest any they think are suspect, as I didn't test and input all the 72% results.
Lt. Commander
# 929
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, after we fill our table we put all our tribbles in the bank with 72% foods, and maybe something good happens!

One gap less:
MAT + Vorta Rippleberry = DOT
Lt. Commander
# 930
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfniLuck
Back during my early experiments, before it became clear that consistent results required breeding a single tribble with a single food at a time, I ran some tests with multiple tribbles and food at once. I would often see a tribble eat but produce nothing, but only twice did I get any results that didn't align with the current tables.
I have had something weird like that happen to me too. I was trying to "cut time" by putting 2 identical tribbles in my belt with 2 different foods.

I had a tribble in the 1st and 4th slots, then two different foods in the 2nd and 3rd slots.

I ended up with only the 2 original tribbles still in my belt, and 1 food gone (empty device slot) with the other food still sitting there. I attributed it to "not enough space in my belt" and have ever since just bred 1 at a time.