Lt. Commander
# 1 Sniper, split beam, plasma?
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Okay, this may be obvious, but im not seeing it.

Why would I use any type of weapon over the split beam weapon?

They're all the same dps, the split beam fires instantly, does its damage quickly, and hits like 4 people at once O_o.

The sniper takes a second to pew pew, the snipe function takes multiple seconds to pew, and only hits one person.

The plasma rifle with the cone attack takes an even longer time to PEW PEW and ive never seen the dot work.

So, please explain to me the different weapons, because my split beam phaser rifle is going to be my best buddy till so XD I was sad I wanted to use the bolt type weapons!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Well hopefully they will be getting adjusted, but for right now, you are correct.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Aw man - I love the sniper rifle!! Probably all in my head but those babies deal out some serious damage - especially when you're crouching using 'target optics'
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
Aw man - I love the sniper rifle!! Probably all in my head but those babies deal out some serious damage - especially when you're crouching using 'target optics'
the snipe options actually does the same damage, but takes longer to fire, and only hits one person =\

eidt* also like to point out target optics applies expose 10% chance, you can land that on 4 people when you use it, and disentigrate them ALL with split beam only 1 with sniper.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
So does the split beam split the damage across the targets? I can take down shielded enemies pretty darn fast with the sniper rifle - normally go for Targ Handlers or Officers first...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
If you are talking ground combat, DPS is a bit of a misnomer, or at least not the whole factor.

It is how much damage you can do if you only fire that one method.

If you have two weapons, fire special attack, cycle to next weapon use its special attack, then fire a couple bolts and cycle back to special attack of first weapon, you get higher then DPS settings.

I use wide beam and targeting weapons, and cycle back and forth getting both attacks in, effectively increasing the DPS. Especially if enemies are in a group, or have the exposed targeting, then there is a bit of skill to hit next exposed enemy, cycle to weapon with that special ability, fire, cycle back to wide beam, use it on a group, then fire a couple bolts.

DPS only matters if that is the only attack you use on that weapon, and if you do nothing else while waiting for the counter to reset ability to fire that usage of weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Personally i use the sniper Rifle as i like the big hits it does, However Split beam is usefull in a situation where you have alot of enemies around
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Sponge
Personally i use the sniper Rifle as i like the big hits it does, However Split beam is usefull in a situation where you have alot of enemies around
this is exactly what im talking about. What big hit? the split beam does the same amount of damage.

and no, it doesnt split the damage between target. It hits em all for that amount.

and I too cycle through the weapons, but I keep a stun pistol as my secondary for pvp / swordmaster.....damn those swordmasters.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
In closed beta the sniper rifle did double exploit damage. Which meant when used on a exposed enemy it was devastating.

Gadareth
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
get a bat'leth! SO MUCH FUN!!

i have to admit i prefer the split beams over others, but the cylindrical attacks are also very effective at hitting many targets.

also, with some of the higher "level" enemies like swordmasters, i've noticed since the last open beta build that you wont always get an instant vapourisation while they're exposed now, before it was, or seemed, a 100% certainty but now, not so much.

but seriously, get a bat'leth.. they're insanly fun!