Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadareth View Post
In closed beta the sniper rifle did double exploit damage. Which meant when used on a exposed enemy it was devastating.

Gadareth

I never noticed any difference in the damages in Open Beta, maybe there was a change from Closed to Open. The Split was doing 1.7k or more on exposes. More than enough to kill anyone.

So yeah, unless they have or will change the damage, there is no reason to use the sniper over the split.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
get a bat'leth! SO MUCH FUN!!

i have to admit i prefer the split beams over others, but the cylindrical attacks are also very effective at hitting many targets.

also, with some of the higher "level" enemies like swordmasters, i've noticed since the last open beta build that you wont always get an instant vapourisation while they're exposed now, before it was, or seemed, a 100% certainty but now, not so much.

but seriously, get a bat'leth.. they're insanly fun!
I need no Bat'leth! my hands are weapons of destruction! >.> heeeee-yah!

I havnt noticed no insta kills yet tho, i always get one.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskwood
this is exactly what im talking about. What big hit? the split beam does the same amount of damage.

and no, it doesnt split the damage between target. It hits em all for that amount.

and I too cycle through the weapons, but I keep a stun pistol as my secondary for pvp / swordmaster.....damn those swordmasters.
Looking at all the weapons across the board, you can see the disparity. The weapons are not balanced at all.

I would imagine that this stuff would be eventually addressed, so that the differences make sense (ie larger hit on a single target, or smaller hits on multiple targets). The same for 'switching weapons' on the fly to exploit the weakness in the design.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
I need no Bat'leth! my hands are weapons of destruction! >.> heeeee-yah!

I havnt noticed no insta kills yet tho, i always get one.
i've given all my away team expose only weapons, the only vapourisations that happen come from me, having two exploit weapons, so i've seen it a few times so far.

and i'm seriously considering trying a few away teams with me and my team armed with bat'leth's or going unarmed XD just to see what its like! i can imagine it'll probably get messy..
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Split beams do slightly (like 10%) damage against up to 3 targets then a sniper bolt and has a 3 second longer cooldown on the split vs the sniper shot. But still the sniper is vastly inferior to the split.

Now my bridge officers carry a mix of split beam and pulse wave weapons. I like the pulse wave as an exposing cone attack as they still have a good damage output. Not as good as a split beam, but enough that I am not handicapping myself by loading them out instead of split beams.

I don't rely on the split beam for exploit damage though; recharge is too long. For that I use a compression bolt pistol. Has like a 6 second cooldown for near sniper rifle damage. So it is reliable to make use of exposed enemies and deals enough damage to take down swordmasters pretty quickly in conjunction with the split beam.

In the future I would like to see the other weapons improved to level of the split beam.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
this is exactly what im talking about. What big hit? the split beam does the same amount of damage.

and no, it doesnt split the damage between target. It hits em all for that amount.

and I too cycle through the weapons, but I keep a stun pistol as my secondary for pvp / swordmaster.....damn those swordmasters.
I think the sniper rifle does a tad more damage in combat, but not enough to over shadow the awesomeness of hitting four ****s at once (I'm not too sure about this, but it seemed that way when I switched from sniper to split). The only reason to switch weapons is to have a better chance to hold people / push them away, etc. Split beam is no good for people who melee :O
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_WHiTE_ZombE
I think the sniper rifle does a tad more damage in combat, but not enough to over shadow the awesomeness of hitting four ****s at once (I'm not too sure about this, but it seemed that way when I switched from sniper to split). The only reason to switch weapons is to have a better chance to hold people / push them away, etc. Split beam is no good for people who melee :O
hehe nope, look at em. for instance sniper MKII split beam MK 2, 118 phasers damage. both of em.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
hehe nope, look at em. for instance sniper MKII split beam MK 2, 118 phasers damage. both of em.
sorry, forgot to mention I was talking about the special attack.
also, I think the Split Beam has a better animation, but that is just a matter of preference on my part....PEWWWW!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Some do knockback, which mitigates damage. Single target weapons genreally cycle their exposes/exploits quicker, which makes them ideal for dealing with single targets quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Okay, this may be obvious, but im not seeing it.

Why would I use any type of weapon over the split beam weapon?

They're all the same dps, the split beam fires instantly, does its damage quickly, and hits like 4 people at once O_o.

The sniper takes a second to pew pew, the snipe function takes multiple seconds to pew, and only hits one person.

The plasma rifle with the cone attack takes an even longer time to PEW PEW and ive never seen the dot work.

So, please explain to me the different weapons, because my split beam phaser rifle is going to be my best buddy till so XD I was sad I wanted to use the bolt type weapons!
Cone and Blast attacks are Exposes, while Beam attacks are Exploits. Load up your BOffs with mostly Exposes and take a couple of Exploits for yourself. Target the exposed enemies and watch them disintegrate.

There are other reasons to choose one weapon over another (differing ranges, AoE vs Single Target DPS) but that's the most basic.

All of my BOffs have Auto Fire and Pulse Wave weapons, while I carry a Split Beam rifle and am ready for hand to hand combat. The enemies never have a chance.