Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Cone and Blast attacks are Exposes, while Beam attacks are Exploits. Load up your BOffs with mostly Exposes and take a couple of Exploits for yourself. Target the exposed enemies and watch them disintegrate.

There are other reasons to choose one weapon over another (differing ranges, AoE vs Single Target DPS) but that's the most basic.

All of my BOffs have Auto Fire and Pulse Wave weapons. While I carry a Split Beam rifle and am ready for hand to hand combat. The enemies never have a chance.

the expose / expoit is a valid reason to use the cone, however the aoe/split beam do the same dps to a single target. Thats the problem. you will do just as much dps to a single target with a split beam phaser rifle as you would with a sniper.

also it bugs me that the sniper doesnt even have longer range.....wtf?
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
So does the split beam split the damage across the targets? I can take down shielded enemies pretty darn fast with the sniper rifle - normally go for Targ Handlers or Officers first...
No, it's the same damage to all targets it hits. It's by far the best weapon to use.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskwood
the expose / expoit is a valid reason to use the cone, however the aoe/split beam do the same dps to a single target. Thats the problem. you will do just as much dps to a single target with a split beam phaser rifle as you would with a sniper.

also it bugs me that the sniper doesnt even have longer range.....wtf?
It's hard to tell a lot of time because of blockage by objects, walls and terrain, but the Sniper Rifle does actually have a bit more range on it than a Split Beam. I agree it should have much more range as there is only a very slight difference now.

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I have armed all of my away team members with Split Beams. 2 of my Away BO's are Tact's both with Target Optics (10% chance for Expose) , 1 is a Science (heal specced) and the other is Engineer (Shield Repair). I am a Science officer armed with Tachyon Harmonics (Cone AOE Expose 10%) that I can spam every 15 secs.

Most enemy encounters simply do not last long enough to challenge against a group armed with multiple Exposes/ Split beams. I smell a nerf coming around the corner wth Split Beams and Expose as it is simply too potent of a combination for a standard encounter to pose a challenge. An organized PvP group with that make-up would be devastating against most that try to stand toe to toe against it. It's even worse once you arm yourselves with Tetryon Split Beams. Even non-exposed aimed flank attacks hit for over 300+.

If they do nerf it, I would not be the least bit surprised or dissapointed. Well maybe a little dissapointed. Jsut a little.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
ooops lag double posted me...deleted.