Lt. Commander
# 801
02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
This is the third time I seem to be patching since headstart and yet not a single release note, it would be nice to get one even if it says 'fixed tons of bugs'
Lt. Commander
# 802
02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Drannic
Star Trek Online is currently down for a brief maintenance. We are expecting this downtime to last no more than 2 hours. Upon completion of the maintenance, this message will be updated accordingly
Oh look downtime again does any one from Cryptic even look at the forums. Oh wait this is a new game and we should expect downtimes. Every day at peak no way. I am hoping that this is not like this tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 803
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Servers Are Up!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricas Chum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantha
wow.. so much vitriol..

-NO- MMO, EVER has had a flawless launch. WoW was so bad the first few weeks, it was almost unplayable. It took almost 6-12 months before it became really stable, and by really stable I mean servers worked more than not.
I am not so sure. I belive Mythic's Dark Age od Camelot was flawless. Anywhoo.. at least this isn't an Anarchy Online launch.
Ricas Chum is correct. Xantha, not so much. Dark Age of Camelot had a flawless launch. I remember that it was difficult to get news about it on launch day because everyone who had taken that day off to play was playing instead sitting on the forums complaining about non-existent downtime. The news sites, which had been covering the game heavily since beta, really had nothing exciting to add on launch day specifically for that reason they claimed, except that the bar had been raised for MMO launch expectations.

Planetside also had a smooth launch. Many games don't, though. But obviously it's possible for an MMO to have an uneventful launch. Games that don't have failed in some fashion. Players who try to defend the launch period are lowering their expectations unnecessarily.

We've been told that the problems popping up are ones that only surface under heavy load. Of course, we heard the same things back during open beta when these downtimes were happening then. I honestly doubt there are more people playing right now as pre-orders than were playing during open beta when the game was completely free, so..

I think tomorrow is going to be painful. Or maybe not so much if the numbers actually decrease once we reach that stage which requires a retail code. Less load will mean less crashing, although for the sake of continued development that's not the fix we should be hoping for.
Lt. Commander
# 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
LMFAO HOLY GOD
Lt. Commander
# 806
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
A 500 error to boot. Nice.
Lt. Commander
# 807
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Im really loving the fact that everyone is comparing the to WoW really good work guys... morons, WoW uses a completely different server system you plonkers. If you notice there is one server ONE, not 20 so personally I expected the crashes/maintenance expected or not and with the amount of traffic runnign through the system every second so should everyone else. They might be annoying and in "Primetime" but live with it go out have a beer get a pizza relax for a while don't sit here pressing refresh until you see the green light.

This is headstart, we have an early start as a privilege, not a right - you didn't buy the game for the headstart and if you did then stop playing after tonight, it is a second beta to find errors and cryptic seem to being doing a bloody good job of finding them AND more importantly fixing them so in that sense I thank them. The game is due/scheduled to start live tomorrow and if there are no major issues or one a day crashes then this is what we are looking for, now in the meantime would you please let cryptic do there job and fix things that is there job.

Lastly so no one can confuse me of being bias, with no doubt everyone will... to cryptic!

Please for the love of god emergency downtime and crashes I can live with no warning BUT 10 minutes warning, give us lot something to finish off our missions with 30-45 mins would be excellent as the game does not save exactly where we are in the missions (note: possible no check that - definite feature needed)
Secondly some patch notes or something to tell us what you lot are doi.ng there please!!! Its nice to see what you are doing at you end to fix the problems that are encountered

All in all though great game, now time to see if the servers up
Lt. Commander
You should try to have a 10 minute countdown for the servers when they are about to go offline like SWG does.

It would be very helpful to EVERYONE that will be playing STO.

Here's a quick example: I'm about to start a mission and then I see the countdown begin (message would be posted every minute) I would think to myself "Hmmm maybe I shouldn't do this mission, it would be annoying to have to start it all over again..."

I truely believe this type of countdown system should be added to STO. If anyone else agrees please say so; a DEV might see this...and ask to have this added to STO

My 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
# 809
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMShaggy View Post
Maybe you should be appreciative that we saved your A$$ in World War II...... God sometimes I wish we didn't... talk about an unappreciative country....
We? Are you hundred years old? Packing a flux capacitor?

Your grand or great grand parents fought in WW II. You? You pulled down a tin pot dictator that your grand parents put into power in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 810
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
servers are up - what happend to "i update this post" lol - good job "GM"
Closed Thread