Lt. Commander
# 1 Got ripped off by Game stop
01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I pre-ordered STO and they refused to give me a headstart code. Cryptic told me to discuss this with the place that I bought it from. So, I did and they told me they no longer offer that promotion because it is too close to the release date. The kicker is they said by the time I got the code the item would be at my doorstep. Funny thing is they said it takes 24hrs to process the code and there was four days left before launch. Cryptic advertised that they still offered the head start code so I pre-order through them only to find out I got ripped off. It is my understanding that the head start and the lifetime memebership is cryptics promotion not Gamestops. This is why I ask a simple question. How come it is so hard for cryptic to just issue me a code? I offered to show them my sales reciept and even gave them my phone number. As it stands I plan to return the game as soon as I get it because I feel as though I got ripped off. The lifetime memebrship option and the headstart was the only reason why i would pre-order. The other item gamestop offered is junk in comparison. So, cryptic if you are watching please fix this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Game Stop != Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 11:05 AM
1. They are not watching.
2. GameStop is not Cryptic.
3. It doesn't matter, you can't play right now anyway, the servers are F'ed up.
4. Complain to GameStop.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracius View Post
I pre-ordered STO and they refused to give me a headstart code. Cryptic told me to discuss this with the place that I bought it from. So, I did and they told me they no longer offer that promotion because it is too close to the release date. The kicker is they said by the time I got the code the item would be at my doorstep. Funny thing is they said it takes 24hrs to process the code and there was four days left before launch. Cryptic advertised that they still offered the head start code so I pre-order through them only to find out I got ripped off. It is my understanding that the head start and the lifetime memebership is cryptics promotion not Gamestops. This is why I ask a simple question. How come it is so hard for cryptic to just issue me a code? I offered to show them my sales reciept and even gave them my phone number. As it stands I plan to return the game as soon as I get it because I feel as though I got ripped off. The lifetime memebrship option and the headstart was the only reason why i would pre-order. The other item gamestop offered is junk in comparison. So, cryptic if you are watching please fix this issue.
did you order online or local. My friend walked into a gamestop yesterday, pre ordered the collectors edition and they gave him a pre order postcard on the spot and he was playing the headstart with the rest of our fleet yesterday. If you got it localy I would go back and ask them what they did with their codes as our local gamestops still have stacks of them. If you ordered online then find your nearest gamestop with a copy of your online order confirmation and I bet you they will give you a code. Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracius View Post
Umm...there is no head start key. You use your beta one for headstart. I bought my pre order from gamestop and just called in weekly to see when they got their keys in. When they did I picked mine up and this was before open beta. Why did you wait until the last minute???? not gamestop's or cryptics fault
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Ordered it online. Called my local gamestop and they told me they did not have anymore codes. Problem is the gamestop in my area is so corrupt. I know one of the guys that work there and they take the codes for themselves. They give them to their friends and when someone asks pre-orders they say we ran out. So I figured ordering it online would allow me to get a code. I was so wrong to trust gamestop I should have used another retailer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
GameStop open beta and headstart key are the same.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
They're doing you a kindness.

But if you like, you can watch the little red light next to the server status, and enjoy the same headstart experience that everyone else gets.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtrekker View Post
Umm...there is no head start key. You use your beta one for headstart. I bought my pre order from gamestop and just called in weekly to see when they got their keys in. When they did I picked mine up and this was before open beta. Why did you wait until the last minute???? not gamestop's or cryptics fault
Thats nice of you to say. I did not want to do the open beta. I also know the code is the same. The advertisment on cryptics site says gamestop gives out the code. So I ordered through them and got no code. So, it is there fault for not communicating with each other. There is a simple two word phrase this falls under. Its called false advertisement. Look it up. I do not make posts that are not accurate. I did my research now you do yours.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
....well...regardless..NEVER buy computer games from GS....period...GS is for console needs primarily...but yea in general, GS is a scam