Lt. Commander
# 501
02-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
No - they're mostly based in China. Good luck getting Chinese to obey our laws or care about the threat of lawsuits.
And that is the root of the problem. You cant do anything to their IP because really they dont care about our laws. You can just ban the whole lot of them, but you loose out on the ones who actually to play the game for real. One very EASY way to fix the problem, put in some sort of darn code to NOT ALLOW names like "bobsghrei8hdskrdeskds" nice simple code. Sure this might not allow names like "Farlinalalalina" but I'm sure they wont mind as much when they arent getting spammed. Just the idea the spammers have to actually MAKE names and such should stop some of the 'auto account creation' programs
Lt. Commander
# 502
02-27-2010, 05:35 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
Lt. Commander
# 503 Simple Anti-Spammer Code???
02-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milander View Post
One very EASY way to fix the problem, put in some sort of darn code to NOT ALLOW names like "bobsghrei8hdskrdeskds" nice simple code.
I'm curious how you think coding that would be simple. Computers aren't like we humans with respect to our ability to quickly filter out apparent gibberish. Also, one person's nonsense is another's logical naming convention scheme. As time goes by more and more people are going to have to resort to progressively more complex alphanumeric combinations. Thus, even with the help of actual human beings, such a system of not allowing gibberish account names would never work.

The only realistic form of policing these spammers is through diligent player/GM reporting and review. There is just no simple way to code this. I'm only pointing this out since it frustrates me when individuals who clearly have no programming experience get angry at actual programmers because they believe that they are being lazy for not inserting "simple" lines of code. Programming is not a "fuzzy" science. For example, you can't just say "10: Does X not make sense? 20: IF "YES" THEN Y 30: IF "NO" THEN Z". You first have to have a set of items that DOES or DOES NOT make sense with which to compare what it is you are attempting to verify. Granted we are working toward the day when machines will be able to make intelligent guesses and whatnot but that day is still a ways off...
Lt. Commander
# 504
02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milander View Post
One very EASY way to fix the problem, put in some sort of darn code to NOT ALLOW names like "bobsghrei8hdskrdeskds" nice simple code. Sure this might not allow names like "Farlinalalalina" but I'm sure they wont mind as much when they arent getting spammed. Just the idea the spammers have to actually MAKE names and such should stop some of the 'auto account creation' programs
I couldn't have answered better than Cybershaman to this apparent lack of programming knowledge.

I strongly suggest reading Robert A. Heinlein's The Number of the Beast for a good Computer Limitations 101. Even if it was written in 1980, the basics of computing haven't changed much in the last 50 years, only the processing power has.

Lt. Commander
# 505
02-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeCU View Post
How are SPAMMERS getting their accounts any way?
For one, I would guess they are using free/trial accounts as they know once they get caught they will be shut down for good. And no one whats to put money up for the game and get kicked off a day later and have to re buy the game all over again. I don't see how they would make any money at it, especially if things went up a notch, and they were caught and banned within a few hours of play.

This is all being said, with not knowing if anyone is currently being banned spamming at all.

So.... are there really that many free/trial account codes out there that these SPAMMERS actually have access too?
I find that highly unliklely that spammers would be taking a shot at players using that method. When stuff like that happens, the game tends to be older and the spammers have a target.
Lt. Commander
# 506
02-27-2010, 09:40 AM
When Blizzard decided to take steps against the gold spammers, besides giving players REAL tools to handle chat spam, they also published periodically on the official forums, reports of how many accounts were banned during the relevant period due to spamming, along with a few more details and statistics.

I have to say I find it rather telling that Cryptic doesn't do either.
Lt. Commander
# 507
02-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfun View Post
I have to say I find it rather telling that Cryptic doesn't do either.
Telling of what?
Lt. Commander
# 508
02-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic_Aardvark View Post
Telling of what?
Telling of their apparent "don't care" attitude. It should be obvious even for a blind Aardvark
Lt. Commander
# 509
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Not really. Every single MMO I've ever played has basically said, "Thanks for reporting this. Now toddle along - we'll look into it, but we're not telling you what we're doing."
Lt. Commander
# 510
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic_Aardvark View Post
Not really. Every single MMO I've ever played has basically said, "Thanks for reporting this. Now toddle along - we'll look into it, but we're not telling you what we're doing."
They won't tell you about specific issues, for obvious reasons. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about periodically reporting to the customer base about how they're dealing with major issues, in general terms. That is a display of caring about the problem and many MMO companies have done it and still do.