Lt. Commander
# 531
03-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Personally, I can think of 3 phrases to autofilter that would have probably 99% of the gold spam I get blocked. As far as I've seen, I haven't seen legit players using any of those phrases in-game to talk about the "goldspammers." Couldn't we put a step into the chat that blocks and auto-reports those phrases, or even checks for another couple of trigger words or phrases to double-check before allowing it to post, if you're concerned about over-censoring?
Lt. Commander
# 532
03-15-2010, 04:34 AM
I have said before that trial accounts should be limited in communication. There are many ways to do this so as not to limit the legit person in getting advice.

The spam is pretty intense sometimes, why would a business spam so much that even a potential customer will block them?

Now I am really confused here. RMT in any mmo is something which I can never understand, we pay real money to play a game and our reward is the items that drop and the fun in playing the game. The two go hand in hand we need to play to get the rewards and the rewards and the experience in playing give us pleasure.

By cheating and getting rewards by RMT we effectively remove the pleasure from the game and thus get less for more real money. This is taken to extreme with powerleveling, I often think that some people would gladly, if offered, be at level cap with full epic gear and cut out the game completely, add to it that you will actually pay more real money to do this and it is quite astonishing.

We can't get away from the saying that follows RMT about, If It Wasn't For The Players Buying The RMT, Then It Wouldn't Exist. Now in many games and on many forums we hear people quite openly and strangely admitting to using and justifying RMT.

I find that most of all, in STO, that the need for RMT/Power levelling is completely absent, more so than in any other game I know.

So my question is this, while I wouldn't expect anyone to openly admit to using RMT on these forums as your login is tied to your account.
Does anyone actually know anyone who has used RMT/power levelling in STO?
Is the mad spamming some desperate way to try to beat the competition when the competition is in the same boat?
And most of all, do you think they will realise that RMT is not needed or wanted, and just go away?

Will we actually see if the saying is true, will they not exist without the buyers? Or am I missing something here and is RMT as ripe as in other games. And if so, what on Planet Alpha-X-7509 do they buy with the credits?
Lt. Commander
# 533
03-15-2010, 07:41 AM
You raise interesting questions, Anuhart. Why, indeed, would someone pay real money on top of their subscription, only to be deprived of their playing pleasure?

I believe the answer lies in two rather different reasons: For one, it is the game designer's fault. Making games excessively gear-centric, with the next Tier of armor/weapons being a quantum leap over the previous one and effectively giving the equivalent of several levels advantage has made gear which is rare or hard to get almost a must-have in too many MMOs. Add to it the need to devote as many hours a day to a game as you do to a job, only to be on par... and that leads to a market which in turn becomes easily inflated ruining the in-game economy and driving people away, looking for a brand new game where this hasn't happened yet. The tragic bit is that it not only severely limits a game's active life but also it is starting to happen earlier and earlier in a game's life cycle as STO is a sad proof. We had gold spamming in BETA, FFS!

The other reason is deeper and more complex: with the role MMOs have acquired in today's society, having a level cap character with top gear has become, for certain people, a new status sign. And you know people, they will go to incredible extents to acquire status symbols.
Lt. Commander
# 534 (sigh)
03-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Just make everything not cost credits.....make all items obtainable through exploration badges or merit points (whatever) and stop making it cost to customize ships and uniforms!!!
Lt. Commander
# 535
03-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Hears a Idea, make it so you cant trade EC to another player othere than yourself
Lt. Commander
# 536
03-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradKhaaaan
Just make everything not cost credits.....make all items obtainable through exploration badges or merit points (whatever) and stop making it cost to customize ships and uniforms!!!
Surely we are almost there anyway, I noticed over 3,000 Badges 5th order a couple of weeks back so bought nearly every consol x2,3 or 4 and filled my bag with every single permutation of consols/deflector I might want to swap around BO's and boost whatever skills. A week later and I'm kitting out my alt with all Blue mk X gear from 'crafting', drops or using the 5th order badges that have re accumulated, the moment she dinged RA.

I have 10 fully trained up BO's who I constantly reskill and jumble about, still there are 100,000 BO points sat there. Myself and 4 BO's are kitted 100% in V.rare mk X. 80,000 SFM I think there is. And that's just on 1 character.

All crafting tiers opened up for all classes, 2 RA 5's, every ship, a mailbox full of food, batteries, 1000's of samples and all level green and blue items. Every tribble bred, (once this patch lands in a minuit or 2).

Never ever sold anything on the broker and never found any need to buy anything other than to advance a tier in 'crafting' when drops didn't cover it, or buy a BO with a skill I needed which barely touched the funds. Everything that I drop I either vendor, use or store and I just can't find a use for the credits that flow in. Why are people so into 'playing the broker', making a good deal, buying credits, What on earth do people do with the credits.
Lt. Commander
# 537
03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hi everyone,

We've been getting numerous complaints recently that some Ferengi Smugglers have been approaching members of Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force offering to sell them additional Energy Credits for real life money. We want you to know that we take these actions seriously, and are working on ways to combat this movement. However, while we're working on these things, there are some things that you can do to help stop this now.

If you come across someone offering to sell you in-game currency for real life money, please report them in-game. You can do this by right clicking on their name in game and select the option to report them.

If someone sends you a PM you can do the same thing. In-game click the question mark (?), request GM Help then select behavior and add the players information for a GM to investigate and take action. Please include as much information as you can regarding the message you received.

Additionally, you can ignore these people both in-game and on the forums. In-game, simply right click on the players name and choose ignore. On the forums, go to the profile of the person who you wish to ignore and select the option to add that player to your ignore list. Your ignore list is the same both in-game, and on the forums, so if you do this in one location, you will not need to do so in the other.

We want you to know that we do take the buying and selling of in-game currency for real money very seriously. If we have proof that you have bought in-game currency, or are caught trying to sell in-game currency, we will ban your Star Trek Online Account. No one would like to see this happen, so please, don't buy in-game currency for real money, and if you see someone trying to sell in-game currency, please report them.

Thanks,

Stormshade
This isn't really the problem, there will always be people who buy stolen goods, and they will always be people who buy credits for rl cash.

The real problem is that you the developers are allowing exploitation of the system to occur in the first place.
I think it's getting obvious that you don't actually know how they are getting the credits.

So i'll explain. You buy a ship, you strip the ship, you sell the beams and parts. Theres always someone daft enough or lazy enough to buy them. You use the energy gained to buy more ships, strip them and before you know it, you are rolling in cash.

Then theres the nebula farmers. They use the badges to buy items which they then sell on exchange. And they're rolling in cash.

The fix is easy. New ships come with nothing. No default beams nothing, you move everything from old ship to new.

Nebulas.. first you make them repeatable only twice per 24 hours or something like this.
Secondly, you make all items purchased with badges as bind on pickup and untradable.

It would also help if the exchange listed items for a set period, cleaning its own database every week or few days, as this will force the farmers to continually restock. You could also limit the amount of items that can be sold say, to 20 or so. Per account.

They will still find ways to exploit it. The only real fix is to educate people and most people don't want to be educated, because they think they know best.

So cryptic.. step up and make them understand.

I'd also ask you not to make trading energy impossible, although this would also fix some of the issues, as i like to give energy to new starters to help make their start a little easier. ultimately, trading via fleets can itself be exploited. So unless you intend to stamp it out completely, there is no easy fix. Making threats about banning accounts won't stop it. It didn't in wow, potbs, swg, eq, ac...in any game ever made. Ever.
Lt. Commander
# 538
03-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugster
This isn't really the problem, there will always be people who buy stolen goods, and they will always be people who buy credits for rl cash.

The real problem is that you the developers are allowing exploitation of the system to occur in the first place.
I think it's getting obvious that you don't actually know how they are getting the credits.

So i'll explain. You buy a ship, you strip the ship, you sell the beams and parts. Theres always someone daft enough or lazy enough to buy them. You use the energy gained to buy more ships, strip them and before you know it, you are rolling in cash.

Then theres the nebula farmers. They use the badges to buy items which they then sell on exchange. And they're rolling in cash.

The fix is easy. New ships come with nothing. No default beams nothing, you move everything from old ship to new.

Nebulas.. first you make them repeatable only twice per 24 hours or something like this.
Secondly, you make all items purchased with badges as bind on pickup and untradable.

It would also help if the exchange listed items for a set period, cleaning its own database every week or few days, as this will force the farmers to continually restock. You could also limit the amount of items that can be sold say, to 20 or so. Per account.

They will still find ways to exploit it. The only real fix is to educate people and most people don't want to be educated, because they think they know best.

So cryptic.. step up and make them understand.

I'd also ask you not to make trading energy impossible, although this would also fix some of the issues, as i like to give energy to new starters to help make their start a little easier. ultimately, trading via fleets can itself be exploited. So unless you intend to stamp it out completely, there is no easy fix. Making threats about banning accounts won't stop it. It didn't in wow, potbs, swg, eq, ac...in any game ever made. Ever.
Generally I don't like any of your suggestions. Simply put they penalize regular players for things they are not guilty of doing. Perhaps they should put some limits on buying low then immediately reselling things at a higher price, as that is just profiteering. Additionally they might try to limit the prices on the Exchange, but then they would be perceived as punishing people for something they may not be guilty of doing.

Ultimately I think the real answer is to make RMT obviously unnecessary. All they have to do is increase the drop rate of certain items when they start selling on the Exchange for exorbitant prices. But they should also increase the drop rate for the game in general. Most casual players will not see the need to buy energy credits if can get half decent stuff, or can raise the credits easily to buy what they want.

The only other suggestion I might make is to start selling everything at some vendor. I like the way certain greens and blues are only available in trade for Explore Badges. But there are generally not enough common items available for purchase at their "listed price". If there were many of the prices on the Exchange would have to come down. You simply couldn't sell a "Tetryon Beam Array" for 100K EC, if it was available anywhere for 10k.

But as long as Cryptic continues to make all these "common" items "Rare" someone is going to try and exploit other players...
Lt. Commander
# 539
03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannyone View Post
Generally I don't like any of your suggestions. Simply put they penalize regular players for things they are not guilty of doing. Perhaps they should put some limits on buying low then immediately reselling things at a higher price, as that is just profiteering. Additionally they might try to limit the prices on the Exchange, but then they would be perceived as punishing people for something they may not be guilty of doing.

I have been playing for a week now. I used the exchange to do a little low level profiteering when I got my first ship upgrade. I bought some gear that wasn't compatible with the class of ship I choose. I re listed them at a small profit. I logged in the next day and I had sold all items. If you search and buy the 3 or 4 lowest priced items of anything you can turn them around... they could make some changes to keep that from happening.
When I first saw the prices on the exchange I assumed I was going to need lots of credits to enjoy the game. I have found some good drops the last few days... and earned anough credits to notice that you don't need tons of em.
Lt. Commander
# 540
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I have never known a game with less 'need' (and I use that term lightly as there is never a need) for RMT. The one thing that Cryptic did get right. As I have said I am astounded that it is present. The only problem with having few money sinks is that they usually are also a time sink, and can therefore provide content.