Lt. Commander
# 101
02-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks Cryptic, you guys are rocking. Fixing bugs as fast as can be expected and still managing to keep the servers running for the majority of the time. I love the game and I'll be playing for a long time to come. I even bought Champions Online just because of my good experiences with the STO open beta and headstart. And I'm not going to complain about the servers crashing, that's an expected result of HUGE numbers of people all trying to connect, play, whine, spam, and click every button in the interface quickly and repeatedly for hours at a time. What I can say is that I have to salute you all for doing a great job dealing with it. A couple of hours of downtime is a small price to pay to get rid of the nasty bugs that we as players will never see but which undoubtedly wreak havoc on the back end.
Lt. Commander
# 102
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashing View Post
And you sir are a moron! How can anyone expect a perfect game?! You can't, if you thought you were going to not have down times, server maint. etc. even Servers bugging, I mean come on. what did you expect? Your money's worth? You'll get that when you pay a monthly subscription. and besides, you are getting to play. I've seen multiple tier 3 toons already, if you haven't got there, well than that's your time management, not Cryptics. Your fault not theres'! and this isn't an english class! who cares how to spell pestilence!
So because I think if a company is going to offer something and they don't deliver the should be held to task for it that makes me a moron? What did i expect? I would expect a company that has put out multiple MMO's before this (yes i suffered through the opening weeks of those as well) to learn from their mistakes or maybe just send out an apology- all i have seen are messages about how Happy and Excited they are that the servers crashed. I expect what is promised to be delivered or at least an explanation and apology- i havent seen any new patch release notes for all the hotfixes they have been applying the last couple days... so essentialy you can KMA if you don't agree just as you apparently feel about my opinion- bleh.
Lt. Commander
# 103
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Any other company I'd believe that they really are fixing the problem.

But since this is Cryptic and they have constant downtimes and long periods of unplayability in Champions Online, half a year after launch, I'm not holding my breath for this game.
Lt. Commander
# 104
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.

We had some issues this weekend that brought the servers down a couple times. This was due, in large part, to lots of people claiming items from the C-Store and an unrelated bug on the back-end. We've been working all weekend to sort these issues out and we should have some fixes rolled out later today.

We're continuing to work on server performance and stability, too. We're constantly squeezing more and more out of every little bit of processor power we have.

These fixes will go a long way in better preparing us for the inevitable rush tomorrow and this coming weekend. Thanks for bearing with us during this time.

I know this weekend was rough, but be sure that the team here at Cryptic is entirely focused on getting any issue we find resolved and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Zn
Claiming stuff from the C-Store? ... I thought the C-Store items were disabled? At least... my Del Taco shuttle isn't in my C-Store...
Lt. Commander
# 105
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektu
The 80's called- they want their snappy one liners back. The headstart was an incentive/perk to entice people to pre-purchase their software and get the money rolling in (or at least give them an idea on the money that will be coming in). I have no problem if they stated it was going to be open beta up to release but that is not what was included in ALL of their pre-order adverts, that's false advertising/fraud and people should be understandably upset. Of course i am not sure why i am arguing with a guy who can't spell pestilence correctly.
As for my user name, my kid spelled it that way when he was little, and I accepted it from him that way. Of couse, I know the spelling is pestilence.. it is one of my character names in game. Besides, you are to talk with the blatant gramatical errors in your post. Have you ever heard of a coma? You use a coma before the word but when writing a sentence, but I am sure you already knew that.

As for Pre-Order advertisements, the only Advertisement that Cryptic is responsible for is the movie advertisements, the advertisements directly from Cryptic with Cryptic's seal, Television advertisements, and the advertisements on their own web site.

What GameStop advertised is in Gamestop's own words and may not be exactly what Cryptic advertises. Same goes for Atari. Atari is Cryptic's Publicher, not Cryptic itself. Same goes for Wal-Mart, Amazon, D2D, Steam, Etc.. they are all independant companies separate from Cryptic. If they can't write exactly what Cryptic is advertising in full on their web sites, it is their responsibility, not Cryptics.

It may be false Advertisement, but blame the company hosting the advertisement since they are the ones who wrote it to their own sites. Cryptic can't write on Gamestop's web site, only Gamestop IT department can do that.

Put the blame where blame is due.

but going back to the original point. You didn't pay for Open Beta or Head Start. You paid for the game package at the same price as the people who walk into stores tomorrow will pay for it.

As a bonus for Pre-Ordering the game from a retailer, you get 1 extra item in game whether it is the 500 Cryptic Points from Atari or the TOS Starship from Gamestop. Plus as an added incentive to buy, Cryptic gave a Thank You to pre-Orderers with Open Beta and a 4 day Head Start which was free. Given that and with cryptic working on the servers and program code around the clock to get ready for 10 AM PST tomorrow (Feb. 2, 2010), I'm suprised there hasn't been more down time than there has been.

As for the Down Time, I haven't seen all that much myself.. and 1 or 2 of my Fleetmates have made Commander already. I have seen a few Captain ranks and ships as well. I've been playing over the weekend approx 8 to 12 hours per day Fri-Sun. Sure the servers went down on me, but the down time has been minimal compared to other MMOs I have seen at launch. At least with this MMO, they are patching and fixing on both the Client side and the Server side and applying them quickly. Other MMO's wait weeks or months and send massive patches to address issues players have and the players have to suffer with all the problems until the patch comes out. I for one like that if there is a problem, that Cryptic will fix it almost immediately and not wait weeks or months to apply the fix.

Something to think about.
Lt. Commander
# 106
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektu
So because I think if a company is going to offer something and they don't deliver the should be held to task for it that makes me a moron? What did i expect? I would expect a company that has put out multiple MMO's before this (yes i suffered through the opening weeks of those as well) to learn from their mistakes or maybe just send out an apology- all i have seen are messages about how Happy and Excited they are that the servers crashed. I expect what is promised to be delivered or at least an explanation and apology- i havent seen any new patch release notes for all the hotfixes they have been applying the last couple days... so essentialy you can KMA if you don't agree just as you apparently feel about my opinion- bleh.
No, You're a moron because you expected a virtually playable game with no errors. Your also a moron because you constituted your argument being valid by challenging someones English (spelling) as if that justifies your argument. Theirs going to be errors. I mean, how could there not be? Even wow, eve have errors. years after development. I'm also happy that they are atleast patching, regardless of notes. you are nit-picking.
Lt. Commander
# 107
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlinker
Claiming stuff from the C-Store? ... I thought the C-Store items were disabled? At least... my Del Taco shuttle isn't in my C-Store...
Mine was in C-Store for my Human and Borg characters.
Lt. Commander
# 108
02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
those who said that Cryptic should know how mush pre-order they sell, it is false.

1st- Atari is the seller, so all money go to they pocket, then give a share to Cryptic. Having Atari has "publicher" is not best around (worse a game creator), but Cryptic dont have the money for go alone.

2nd- the Beta was not really open, has you was need get your key for pre-buy or win one form some gamewebsite. A real Open beta, you dont need a key for enter, everybody can (i think if they was do that they will have surely fried server at headstart) a bad move not do it, but lot of recent MMO do that, for lower cost.

3rd- a lot of people have left in middle of Beta, because of the bug or about the wipe, and they come back to the headstart. + some dont event bug to play the beta and new one who brough a copy resently after hear the game that look good.

4th- Cryptic have a lot of experience in MMO. For i know they got City of Heros and Champion Online (for i read look like a miss). So in gaming industry when you "flop" a game, it hurt future sell. How can you really plan that you future MMO will be lot more big that event your best title? and remember that Startrek Fan dont really have got great games, who hurt the franchise name on gaming industry.

To name some big MMO launch was total fail, the "Big" World of ******** was got a login queues of hour, for some month at and after the launch, so lot of people join, that event crash the website time to time. EvE online, until 2 year ago, if there was to lot of people in same system, it crashing a whole node, and i dont talk about some plaging but that was there for some year, like the ammunition bug (the game was 3 year old a that time). I dont know about EQ, i was a UO player, about server stability it was soso, there was lot the clone lag bug (you was at 2 spot in the game at same time).

Only Asian MMO have the best launch, mostly Korean one, but most people dont know them, and offen was got lot more players that WoW (yep, WoW number of players is not so big in Korean, Ragnarok Online was got ~3 to 4 millions peoples before WoW was beta).
Lt. Commander
# 109
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.
Zn
Now are you going to publish population figures up front like EVE does or are you gonna BS us?
Lt. Commander
# 110 Downtime Messages
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I just wanted to add that we have and will be making improvements to the way we message you all when we run in to technical issues and have to take the servers offline. We will be adding more detailed information along with an eta on being back online.

Cheers,

Phil