Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Got to say that this has been the most appalling start up of any MMO I've played.

First of all you charge us extra money for Items we can't use DURING the headstart this means that either we restart on Tuesday (so in efect we've gained nothing or we forget about the items we've already outleveled - fantastic marketing... Then the server is constantly down in UK prime time. Stability of the server has been far worse during "Headstart" than the beta. Come on do you take us for idiots saying that you weren't expecting so many people - everyone on the headtart either payed (or at least promised to pay) for the chance to do the headstart - how could you not know how many people have paid for the priviledge of NOT playing this game ?

Frankly i would have cancelled my order by now but the online merchants selling your keys don't allow cancellation of preorders - live and learn I guess ...

DinAlt
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Can we get patch notes this time perhaps?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
i don't think your ready i seen problems with the game that should have been fixed before the end of the beta missions that just will not let you finish them star ships beeming on to planet and star bases and the fact that everyone in the uk is going to pi**ed of with you lot if you need to bring down severs evey evening when we want to play

i do like the game i just want it to work right
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikudoSenin
Exceed your expectations??? Have you not been paying any attention to your own forums??? If THIS is the reason for your experiencing multiple hours of downtime per day, I am NOT buying it. We have been howling at you to ramp up those very expectations. We have been warning you for weeks that you are clearly underestimating the demand you will encounter.

If ANYONE played CO (I did for a few weeks before loosing interest and I was huge fan of the original paper rpg) then 100 times more (conservatively) will be playing this game! You KNOW the difference of the fan bases, we have explained it to you ad infinitum. Adjust your expectations to match reality and start doing your jobs!
agreed my friend, these people are doing a job they are payed to do and they are failing. now is not the time for understanding, that was in the beta. Tomorrow is launch and i anticipate horrible things, this is the time for burning judgement people, who are you loyal too, Star Trek or Cryptic? thats what I thought. Dont EFF up my Trek
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garland87 View Post
If anyone that was around during the Beta is still buying this whole "wow you guys are just so amazing you crash us multiple times a day every single day" bull*&*^ than you need a reality check. Cryptic, thanks for the update and the explanation but it can't possibly be the truth since your experiencing the same if not greater frequency of downtime during headstart than you did in Beta, and not just this weekend, but all last week as well. Please all I ask is no more copy and paste messages, no more patronizing and overly cheery assertions about how you couldnt expect this many people to want to play a STAR TREK game. This is meant to be a constructive message that should give you an idea about the average intelligence of the people who you think are buying your messages. Give us the respect we deserve as consumers and the sole provider of the profits you feed your families with, not like sheep meant to be fooled and comforted into compliance. Thank you.
If you'd ever actually been a part of a major complex software project you'd know that the real stress on a system comes not during a beta cycle (however much testing you try to do) but when you start picking up a real population of users.

The only way Cryptic could have really got a better handle on this would have been by phasing in the population, even then they'd have had to break that up as the US all coming on at once must represent a massive number of users.

These guys are working really hard, round the clock, to make our experience better - thats all they can do and thats all we need them to do.

They need us to have some patience and keep the faith.

Remember, there is nothing in it for these guys if they fail, so why would they want to ?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
How can you not know how many people are playing the game? Don't you have an accounting department? Surely you know how many copies you've sold. Did you expect people who bought the game wouldn't bother playing it? Didn't you learn your lesson from Chamions Online?

I don't want to call you guys stupid but only an idiot wouldn't know what kind of numbers they were looking at for both the head start and release date. I really think it's ridiculous that you take the game down at the same time everyday for 1-5 hours and call it "unexpected maintenance".
Lt. Commander
It can be summed up in one easy word: Economics.

The first few weeks STO is going to experience outages. This is because Cryptic is going to have servers/bandwidth available for what it expects to be the "steady state" number of concurrent users, plus maybe a small fudge factor (say 10% or so). If they add enough capacity for a "smooth" launch and the usage drops after a few weeks to half of that (not unusual for a MMO launch), then they are stuck with paying for *too* much capacity, thus eating into their profits.

So expect outages, downtime, queues, etc. until the 30 day free period is done. Around that time the product will become mostly "stable" as they will have finally "figured" it out. Unless it becomes the next WoW, in which case the user base keeps growing and growing and growing.... but that behemouth is almost the exception to the MMO rule.

Economics folks - pure and simple.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I've been trying to change my uniform for nearly 24 hours now... Definately a KHAAAAAAANNnnnnn moment
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
"I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
- Garak (DS9: "Favor the Bold")

Here's to hoping for the best.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Hmmm you already knew the numbers a month ago.... or more.... and are actually way *down* on numbers because of the random beta testers who got STO for free through myriad websites not being able to login anymore...

You need a new "spin" ....

PS: That new hardware you guys said was coming during beta to meet the "overwhelming demand"....what was it...a new printer?