Lt. Commander
# 31
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttrboy View Post
How can you not know how many people are playing the game? Don't you have an accounting department? Surely you know how many copies you've sold. Did you expect people who bought the game wouldn't bother playing it? Didn't you learn your lesson from Chamions Online?

I don't want to call you guys stupid but only an idiot wouldn't know what kind of numbers they were looking at for both the head start and release date. I really think it's ridiculous that you take the game down at the same time everyday for 1-5 hours and call it "unexpected maintenance".
The problem is that they havent sold copies to customers yet. They may know how many copies were sent out to the different retailers, but the actual sales numbers wont come back to them until after opening day. The software distributors sit on the cash until the day they can ship out the merchandise so Cryptic probably has no idea how many of the copies have actually sold yet.
Lt. Commander
# 32 Need additional servers?
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.

We had some issues this weekend that brought the servers down a couple times. This was due, in large part, to lots of people claiming items from the C-Store and an unrelated bug on the back-end. We've been working all weekend to sort these issues out and we should have some fixes rolled out later today.

We're continuing to work on server performance and stability, too. We're constantly squeezing more and more out of every little bit of processor power we have.

These fixes will go a long way in better preparing us for the inevitable rush tomorrow and this coming weekend. Thanks for bearing with us during this time.

I know this weekend was rough, but be sure that the team here at Cryptic is entirely focused on getting any issue we find resolved and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Zn
Zinc,
I have some servers on a 50 MBps connection. We have an host server with 16GB of ram and 8 processors. If Cryptic needs additional server power feel free to contact me.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Zinc,

I am glad to see that someone finally got back to us on the problems with something that wasn't completely vague. That being said, you guys need more servers or this servers down constantly will plague you for the next 2 weeks and you will lose some hefty fan base.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post
Name one...aside from WoW (a private solo endeavor ...half a decade ago), that was infrastructural...and not in-game issues?

Just one where the problem was that the game couldn't fundamentally stand on it's own....?

I just debunked a litany of people randomly spouting every MMO that came to mind... Because it's an arsehat's argument..

There is a difference between your car's air conditioner not working, and you car not being able to start.... or randomly going dead on the freeway...
If by solo endeavour, you mean Blizzard, vivendi and AT&T then yea....

You could at least get your facts right first.

But i'll bite. Eve, SWG, Tabula Rasa, CoH, Champions Online, D&D.. shoudl i go on? They all had major infrastructure problems at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Zinc,

Thanks for the words. More than half of us have been more than a little frustrated with the downtimes, but most of us understand that it's all part of the launching process.

Admittedly, I've been disappointed with Cryptic's support in the past. But you've stepped up to the plate over the past few days. So, again, thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogron View Post
Zinc,

I am glad to see that someone finally got back to us on the problems with something that wasn't completely vague. That being said, you guys need more servers or this servers down constantly will plague you for the next 2 weeks and you will lose some hefty fan base.
They know what theyre doing Don't worry. They have to squeeze as much power out of their current systems first before they order new servers. Remember, they are primarily a business. They won't spend time and money when they don't have to.
Lt. Commander
Crypic are working hard top rectify the problem, im certain of that and they are trying to fix it all properly before the main retail launch... while you are waiting i have a friend who too has problems logging in : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnl2vbLDVc check it out

regards all.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
STAR TREK[u][b] OFFline !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
STAR TREK OFFline !!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
If by solo endeavour, you mean Blizzard, vivendi and AT&T then yea....

You could at least get your facts right first.

But i'll bite. Eve, SWG, Tabula Rasa, CoH, Champions Online, D&D.. shoudl i go on? They all had major infrastructure problems at launch.
And why do they all have issues at launch? Simply put, an MMO is a very complex beast involving the persistent provision of software and hardware interaction on a very large scale. Some of which is beyond their control (e.g. the internet background, local ISP gateways and not to mention the end users pc's and their own connections). The scope is staggering.

This is why I have a measure of respect for MMO developers because its a massive undertaking. And as such shouldn't be brushed off as "just another game", because the infrastructure required to run it is vastly greater than single player games.

They can try to cover all eventualities and envisage all possibilities, but in the end the devs are only human. And they can only do so much. Cryptic don't WANT hardware to go down or for their software to have bugs. But sometimes certain conditions only come to light when its put under load. Such as now.