Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
It is the unfortunate reality of having the developers of this game in a different time zone than you.

Yes, it sucks.

No, I do not know what can be reasonably done about it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTailedFox View Post
You need to back in time and play some other MMOs at launch.
yes they all suck to some extent, but that excuse is getting old. Especially from a company who is launching it's 4th MMO. It's the fact that we all except it that makes every MMO company continue to release half finished games. Why spend the money to finish it when they know we will all buy it and the money can start rolling in while they complete the game.

It is complete possible this late in the genre to have a good MMO launch with few hiccups but that costs money which lowers your profit margin. Why spend the money when you can just go the cheapo route and have your customers accept the crap because it's "normal."
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
yes they all suck to some extent, but that excuse is getting old. Especially from a company who is launching it's 4th MMO. It's the fact that we all except it that makes every MMO company continue to release half finished games. Why spend the money to finish it when they know we will all buy it and the money can start rolling in while they complete the game.

It is complete possible this late in the genre to have a good MMO launch with few hiccups but that costs money which lowers your profit margin. Why spend the money when you can just go the cheapo route and have your customers accept the crap because it's "normal."
Agreed, **** didn't have this problem, and that was in 2001.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I wonder if the crashing during the Euro downtime is a side effect of dealing with input lag from Euro all the way to the US server. There is a sizeable Star Trek fanbase in Europe, I am told. When all the fans over there log in I wonder if Cryptics server can't handle all the latency....

Sorry Euros, this sucks. I tend to play your hours lately, and have been frustrated with the downtime during my peak playtime as well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
No, I do not know what can be reasonably done about it.
They could do what the majority of their competitors do (Blizzard, Funcom, SOE, Codemasters) and have dedicated servers for non Americans with more suitable downtimes.

Or at the very least they could have scheduled downtimes at around 3am PST (again, like their competition does), which would be 6am eastern and 11am in Europe. Which would be fair for the largest portion of their player base (sorry Australia). Instead, they have made absolutely no concessions to their customers, they schedule their downtime for business hours in the US, which is hardly ideal for US players and game breakingly bad for everyone else.

We end up with the downtimes in the middle of the day in the US in the middle of prime-time in Europe and late evening for Asian players.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTyrel View Post
Anoying but hardly suprising...
get use tot he disconects, they will be a frequent event for the next few weeks...
Enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generix View Post
Stop naging about down-time. This isn't a bad Headstart, only one queue I have had to endure so far. Other MMO's have the same issue. Overload on the website, 1000 of peoples logging in at once.
See this is where I disagree with you. Why should we get used to it. Why should we get used to game companies pushing unfinished games out the door. Yes I do know that it always happens on most mmorpg games, but really, that is just a bad excuse. So if game companies started releaseing other games half finished, then we would accept it because it would be the new standard? No we would respond by not buying those games.
We would never accept it on any other games, but for mmorpg's most people seems to think that we should accept half made/unfinished games. Well, I do disagree with this line of thinking.

We see it more and more for every new mmorpg. The game companies keep pushing out games that are in a less finished state, than they did some years ago. We will need to draw the line somewhere and tell them that we do not accept this anymore.

And it finally seems that most people have had enough. The mmorpg marked are getting tougher and tougher. There are more mmorpg's published in the later years, than ever before. Wich means that the quality of the games at launch will be more important than it was before. If there are a lot of problems at launch, and there is no communication from the devs or swift fixes, the players will simply move on to the next mmorpg. I've seem it happen to so many games over the last year.
- Ao
Horizons
etc.

And it seems to be the same problems that all companies are struggeling with.
Server capacities, forum servers, chat problems, login servers, queues. The biggest problems are that all companies know that there will be a lot more players the first month or two due to the game beeing new. So they calculate how many players there will be from the interest in the game, and then they subtract how many will quit (due to various reasons like didn't like the game. Those trying it out because it's new etc)
The simple solution to this would be to do the calculations and then have a few rented servers avaliable for the first few months. This would probably ensure that a lot less players will quit due to massive capacity problems like we see in almost all of todays mmorpg releases.

That beeing said. I do understand that it is nearly impossible to launch a game of mmorpg size without problems at launch. There will always be problems that are only exposed after a launch when the hordes of people log on. But all other aspect of the game should be polished by launch. (that is quests working, gameplay, pvp, zoning etc)
Some lag, and a few crashes should be expected after launch: until they tweak the servers for maximum performance (Should really just be about adjusting the servers, and should be quickly performed.). The hardware should at least be ready at this time to just install if needed.

Unfortunately all companies seems to push their games out long before they are even remotely close to beeing finished. Usually with loads of bugs and flaws that should have been fixed through a just a bit longer beta cycle.

Edit: Seems Skullkandy said all I wanted to say with a lot less words Well said Skullkandy!

--
Sorry for the long post, and the spelling/gramatical errors. English is not my native toungue.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTailedFox View Post
You need to back in time and play some other MMOs at launch.
I've played a dozen or more MMOs at launch and I'd agree with the guy you were replying to, this is probably the most downtime I've ever seen. I've BETAed absolute train wrecks of games that had more stable servers than this when they launched (Horizons and Tabula Rasa come to mind).

The other point here is that it's not all about stability. It's about when Cryptic are choosing to patch the game, they are scheduling server shut downs at peak times for Europeans/Asians, it shows an extreme lack of concern for a large portion of their customer base.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heijiro
I understand maintenance has to occur.

IBut this happens every day several times during headstart.

Was it a crash again ?

2 hours down again, way to go cyptic.

Never seen this huge amount of downtime on any MMO day before "live" launch.
Doesn't sound like you've played many mmos. Its been going down during primetime for the US too, so please don't try to make this a "woe are we the Europeans".
Lt. Commander
Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
Cryptic give this guy a job please!