Lt. Commander
# 41
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceifera
I love the game, server issues are common for new MMOs and existing MMOs. And 1000 Queue is nothing compared to WoW at 7:00pm EST.
Only had a breif look at WOW, seriously you have to queue to play??
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Nope,I'm quite happy with my lifer.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Most of us that have been around for a few MMO launches aren't panicked by early game problems and forum rants. I've been playing MMOs since UO and was there at launch for EQII, SWG, ****, WoW, and probably more I'm forgetting. Every single one of those were like this at launch. Every. Single. One. WoW, the most successful MMO to date, had queues that lasted hours at peak times. People raged in the forums about how Blizzard failed and what a joke they were. Where are those people now?

The frustrating thing is once MMOs get their act together, the whiners move on and players tend to practice revisionist history and forget all about the launch issues. I can't believe the number of people actually claiming on these forums that MMOs like WoW went smoother than this at launch. Fortunately someone usually steps in to correct them before I see the posts because I just don't have the energy to respond to them all.

I do have my concerns about how dedicated Cryptic will be to maintaining STO, but I'm giving them the chance. Yes, I do agree this game was kicked out the door too soon, just like every other MMO I have ever played. They are all in it for the money, and a lot of players have a hard time dealing with that simple reality.

Yes, I'm a lifer and I don't regret it. Yet.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.gourmetcookingandliving.c...ber_cheese.jpg

this will go nicely with all the whine in here!
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
People with lifetime subscriptions are in this for the long haul. We'll have a good idea of what that's going to be like in a month or two. Maybe it will suck, and we'll have lost out on our gamble.

But I'm pretty sure the stability and load issues will be fixed. Those aren't that hard to fix. Then, with luck, the gameplay-affecting bugs will be fixed (Cryptic has been good about those, IMO). If you like the core gameplay, I think you'll be very satisfied with a lifetime subscription.

On the other hand, if you don't like the core gameplay, I don't think you'll likely to ever like this game. I don't see that changing, and personally hope it doesn't.