Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Why all the discussion on a separate clusters, this is load balancing we are talking about... you can still have both
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
With peanuts or caramel nugget? I prefer my European Clusters with peanuts and Caramel.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't be an idiot, just because you don't have international friends doesn't mean others don't. I have friends all around the world including but not limited to, Japan, the US, Europe & South Africa. Guild Wars & Eve both manage excellent shard setups with few crashes. It just took awhile BEFORE there were few crashes, until then you have to deal with a few here and there.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
No.

NO!

I have zero lag and issues, was on all day today, no problems.

Server going down a 10:33 GMT pm ? thats not a major issue to me =/

i like playing with my american freinds and i love a big 'central' cluster where i can talk to everyone and not be restricted. Mainly because the EU is full of idiots and moron's , game wise. I always find the EU servers spammed chat wise, full of idiotic players, and consitantly left with no community, no updates, and dieng.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Alternate times for downtime
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
It's not that having a seperate EU cluster would especially help with load (it's the total amount of computing power that counts, it doesn't really matter from that perspective if it's one cluster or two seperate clusters as long as their is sufficient system+network capacity) and the game doesn't seem to suffer from lag too badly here in Europe (for me at least) so I'm fine with one system in that regard... but - as many other posters in other threads have noted - it's the downtime in the middle of European prime time that is annoying players here.

There are over 800 million people in Europe (i.e. over twice that of the US), it's not like it's a tiny player base. I appreciate the actual North American customer base is likely a fair bit larger, but unannounced downtime repeatedly around primetime GMT/CET is infurating.

I note that other companies manage to handle this reasonably well (e.g. CCP with EVE Online) by picking times that are not prime time for North American or European players. Obviously having a single large cluster for all players means it's always going to be lousy for someone, but right now all of Europe is really get a lousy deal.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
/not signed

I love the one server policy, and it is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
One Server to RULE them ALL! Hip Hip HooRAY!
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Cryptic, give them their own damn cluster if it will cease their complaining. Will it? Nope, oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm i the uk but personally I don't mind if theres the one server. I just think cryptic weren't prepared for just how many people wanted to play this game and are now trying to play catch up heh. As mmos go its great to even have some playtime this early in its history. I mean anarchy online when it came out you couldn't play for days along with most big title MMO's we know of today didn't have it smooth either. In the end launches/head starts are never smooth.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I personally would like to see more servers for each timezone. Cannot compare eve to STO, think most people ever playing eve at one point is a little over 50k people. STO is going to dwarf that considerably. Instancing can only relieve so much pressure.

Hopefully I am wrong and Cryptic can avoid server queuing and server crashes due to load but I expect STO to be the second most popular MMO on the market pretty soon.