Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I want to try STO but the subscription process eludes me. I've played other MMO's where I:
1. Registered;
2. Dowloaded it;
3. Did a free trial;
4. Liked it;
5. Subscribed;
6. I had fun;
7. The publisher had profit :-P

Now it looks like STO doesn't work that way.
1. I registered;
2. I've downloaded the client;
3. No free trial, fair enough;
4. What do I do now?

Ok, forget about specials, lifetime, and all. Let's say all I want is to play the plain vanilla version of STO. The web site says there will be monthly plans available at launch, e.g., US$ 14.99 a month. Now:

A. Will I be able to play STO if I just go there at launch and subscribe?
(like 4. Subscribe and see if I like it; if I don't, I just cancel it)

or

B. Do i have to buy a retail version (box or digital) of the game for US$ 49.99 minimum to get the key plus 30 days of play BEFORE I can subscribe?
(like 4. Buy a retail version then try it for 30 days to see if I like it and want to subscribe)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
yes as far as starting the game at launch you will have to buy it, later after a year or so you will most likely not have to buy a retail copy like most mmo's
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Right now you must have a pre-order key in order to play during Head Start. You get one of these by pre-ordering the game.

Come tomorrow (truly, after the retail key grace period) you will need to have a retail key to play. You get one of these by either receiving the preorder you purchased or going to a retailer and purchasing the game.

There may be free trials later on (and the COllector's Edition comes with 3 to give to friends) but their are no free trils currently supported in the game.

You get a free 30-day subscription with your retail purchase. After the 30-days are up you must subscribe. If you activate multiple retail keys the free 30-days is stackable.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!

So basically it's US$ 50 minimum for the first month, then US$ 15 tops for the following months.

I always thought if you had a good game, you'd do as a drug dealer: give some free to addict your customer, then overcharge him on later sales.

Well, I'm not the MBA here, so it might not mean it's not a good game. Maybe there is just a little lack of confidence in the beggining, or someone's bonus is related to early results

Fortunately fifty bucks doesnt mean to me what it used to, as these days my wife can blow it in the blink of an eye, so I might give it a try.

See you in space! Unless you are cloaked, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q. View Post
I always thought if you had a good game, you'd do as a drug dealer: give some free to addict your customer, then overcharge him on later sales.
And they will give away free trials (probably) later on. But launch day? No way in heck they would be giving away free trials because they don't have to and, from a server load point of view, don't want to.

Once things settle down they will probably start free trials but not till then.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
I want to try STO but the subscription process eludes me. I've played other MMO's where I:
1. Registered;
2. Dowloaded it;
3. Did a free trial;
4. Liked it;
5. Subscribed;
6. I had fun;
7. The publisher had profit :-P

Now it looks like STO doesn't work that way.
1. I registered;
2. I've downloaded the client;
3. No free trial, fair enough;
4. What do I do now?
Out of curiosity, which MMOs did you subscribe to where you didn't have to pay for the retail client?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure EVE online worked that way when I played it for a while a year or so back.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q. View Post
For initial release they know they are dealing with hard core addicts. They will provide the free trials later to those who are on the fence
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon63 View Post
I'm pretty sure EVE online worked that way when I played it for a while a year or so back.
Nope, eve has always required a full retail key to play beyond the trial period.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't think I have never not (hmm good english there) paid for a copy of any mmos I've played. Can anyone cite an example where you've played a mmo and not paid for the software. UO, EQ, ****, EQ2, SWG (/JTL), ****, MxO, Planetside, ***, WAR, LoTRO, CO, COX paid for all them. I always thought it was SOP to pay for mmo software.