Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Anyone else a bit miffed that they focused on game gameplay instead of sim gameplay. Not hardcore sim like flight sim but more like klingon academy, starfleet academy, 25th anniversary game. Etc.

Bridge isnt functionable its just a room u go to, why?

More impulse, warp gameplay mechanics.

Open space, no instances, just show me black space, and u engage warp, and off you go on your 5 yr mission to seek out new life and new civs. Would have loved tihs. Of course use a map for known systems but open space where you can discover new things by just warping about using sensors would be nice. also beaming down to unknown planets but first use your ships sensors for readings for M class or other.

Mining. Able to mine dilithium perhaps? On mineral type asteroids or planets, if asteroids maybe go in a space suit to mine it or a ship device to extract it?

Just some things i think might be nice. And i do like the game im just wondering who else fancied the game a bit more sim thats all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I too was hoping for something similar to you. One of the things I love about EVE Online is just how big the Universe feels and I hoped that STO would offer something similar. There appears to be no crafting mechanics and no real economy to speak of which is a little dissapointing and a missed opportunity.

The whole game seems to have a console feel about it similar to Star Wars Online after the NGE changes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Nope, not miffed about this at all.

My personal opinion is that they should start with the "game gameplay." The non-sim gameplay will attract more potential subscribers, in general. You need to get the game off the ground first, after all. This isn't a single player game, where you pop it out and develop it for a niche market. MMOs live and die on raw numbers of paying customers.

You can always add complexity and innovation later, but it is much harder to take those back out without causing serious damage to your subscriber base.

The SWG NGE is a good example of this.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
One thing i wanted to try in a st online game was become a merchent, and trading like in elite and get better transports over time etc, find deals. But its far too focused on federation combat. I mean i like the combat but i can see myself getting bored of it if it doesnt change a bit now and then with more tactical options, ships, abilities, situations.

Still so far im enjoying the combat of my miranda and some missions are really nice yet others are just go in a system and beat some ships up. I hope to find more exploration i.e new species, first contact, transport, assistance of damaged ships, nebula stuff. I would also love it if they add in later more missions where you have scanning, examining, mapping, survaying with planets and no not just pressing f to do them things but more fleshed out things like scan for lifeforms or i might wana scan the planet enviroments and maybe beam down if its safe, or if unsafe maybe find something useful and mine it. Take a shuttle down if transporters cant beam through. You know trek stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes this game turned out quite differently then I could have ever anticipated...wowzers. I mean it is fun enough for a couple hours every 5th day, but certainly not worth a monthly sub fee though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
A modern version of Klingon/Starfleet academy would rock if they kept the core concepts from those games and just upgraded them using todays graphics and physics proccessing capabilites.
I would also kill for an upgraded version of Xwing vs Tie Fighter.

The sad thing is, today's so called gamers don't have the mental capasity to be able to play such games. They lack the attention span required to learn how to play something as complex as Klingon Academy with all the engery allociation options, sub system targeting, ECM/ECCM usage, and knowing when swtich from automatic to manual targeting(I really used to pwn cloaked romulans and klingons using manual targeting back in the day. Ahh memories ).

They would get upset and cry like the babies they are because my QuD Destoryer would "sink" their pride and joy battleship because their "I Win Button" was no match for my superior tactics and ability to use actual skill instead of uber gear and high level(which is the reason why I'm not big on most mmosrpgs).

Because today's gamer not only requires an "I Win button" but also needs the game to push it for them, great games like Klingon Academy or Xwing vs Tie Fighter will never be created again.

On a side note: I wonder how cool a Starfleet command type game would be if we used STOs space combat as a template, upgraded it to true 3d and made combat a little more "complex"(Sub system targeting, more weapon configuration options like in Starfleet Command", ECM/ECCM, and maybe manual targeting if possible considering the 3rd person environment)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
i agree on all them points yoshi
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Klingon academy was truly the best star trek game in my opinion. I had a lot of good times with that game.

I was definitely envisioning different things when I thought of star trek online. I was initially pleased with the similarities it has to the starfleet command series, but after a while all the things it's missing even compared to starfleet command become apparent.

Potential? Perhaps, but a disappointment in most aspects.

What would be awesome is something like SWG's jump to lightspeed multiplayer ships, where you get a whole crew on one ship. Though my lack of faith in cryptic for pulling something like that off is disturbing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Did you want a real answer? Or is this just a Treeker day dreaming post?

The answer is that the ST licence fell into Crypics laps 2 years ago because they told Atari they would have it done in two years. The reason they could do this was the CO engine they had in place. So they were limited to what their engine could do and where there experience was with developing MMO's.

Would I rather have a ST sim? Hell yes I would. Will we ever see one? Probably not in this lifetime. It is nice to dream though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I would love to have a new Bridge Commander. However, an MMO that's a simulator? That would get boring REEAAALLL quick.