Lt. Commander
It seems like every time I actually manage to find time to play the servers are down for a "short time" while they do some maintenance. Some maintenance/patch that we never know a single thing about. For those of you with kids you know that 2 hours of free time is like an eternity.

So I feel a bit jipped by headstart. Oh, and you can spare me your comments on "this is how MMO's work". It isn't. For the few headstarts that have existed (of which I have been in all), this is the first one where the servers are down more than up.

I am praying that this isn't foreshadowing what's to come. I love the game, when I can play it, but all these "unexpected downtimes" are out of control. It's really starting to bum us ST Fanbois out so I can imagine the effect it will have on new players tomorrow.

Anyone else feeling a little jipped? Someone in a different thread wondered if they would do anything special for all of us that have been so patient during all these downtimes...seems fitting especially for us lifers that put our money and trust where our mouths are.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmcD
It seems like every time I actually manage to find time to play the servers are down for a "short time" while they do some maintenance. Some maintenance/patch that we never know a single thing about. For those of you with kids you know that 2 hours of free time is like an eternity.

So I feel a bit jipped by headstart. Oh, and you can spare me your comments on "this is how MMO's work". It isn't. For the few headstarts that have existed (of which I have been in all), this is the first one where the servers are down more than up.

I am praying that this isn't foreshadowing what's to come. I love the game, when I can play it, but all these "unexpected downtimes" are out of control. It's really starting to bum us ST Fanbois out so I can imagine the effect it will have on new players tomorrow.

Anyone else feeling a little jipped? Someone in a different thread wondered if they would do anything special for all of us that have been so patient during all these downtimes...seems fitting especially for us lifers that put our money and trust where our mouths are.
Yeah I guess I feel semi-jipped they sold the game with open beta and headstart included, but it felt more like Closed Beta, and headstart was Open Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't regret buying the game or the lifer subscription because I am trusting they do the right thing. I understand that mistakes happen. Problems are to be expected, it's how we deal with those problems that is relevant. I guess I just expected to have the ability to play the game more often than I have and it has been so bad that I think some in game goodie would be very appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
While I wouldn't say they have been down more than up, I do share the frustration. I have children and finding time to get lost on the computer can be difficult. I too am tired of hearing "this is how this works" posts. This game has crashed on me so many times, and that doesn't include server downtime. Its not like I'm using a old computer either:

i5 650-bumped to 3.7ghz
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
XFX RADEON HD 5770 1 GB
WD 1TB 7200rpm 32mb
WD 320GB 7200rpm 16mb
OCZ 4GB DDR3-1600

When its playing it plays beautifully. But crashes on away missions seems to be my hang up. Its not like I'm always in battle either. Hell it crashes on SB1 too. These are bugs that should have been caught and fixed. I have a lifetime sub too. Going from today...16 months is 486 days, 2 hrs a day downtime is 972 hrs. That equals 40.5 days of down time. That's over a month to downtime. If things continue this way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Just remember, there's no rule saying Cryptic has to offer 24-hours a day server up time for head start... in fact, there's no rule that says there needs to be a head start at all. it was simply a nice thing Cryptic did to say thank you to all the people who bought pre-orders and lifetime subscriptions.

The game doesn't actually start until tonight at midnight. Now, if the servers still go down a few times a day or for hours upon hours at a time, yeah... I'm with ya. But until that time, just remember, it was a freebie. They didn't have to let you play at all, yet!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
They promised you a head start. You got a head start.

Yes, the head start time has been used to better the game as a whole, but who's complaining? I'm happy they're doing work to fix the game's obvious bug/server issues.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutherd View Post
Just remember, there's no rule saying Cryptic has to offer 24-hours a day server up time for head start... in fact, there's no rule that says there needs to be a head start at all. it was simply a nice thing Cryptic did to say thank you to all the people who bought pre-orders and lifetime subscriptions.
They used it as a incentive to buy the game pre-order. Then they didn't deliver.

You sound like that bank commercial (might only be in Canada) where the guy asks one girl if she wants a pony and gives her a plastic one.....then the asks the second girl if she wants one and gives her a real one.....the first girl says "you didn't say there was real ponies" and the banker says "you didn't ask".....

or the banker gives the boy a great red truck and takes it away 2 seconds later.....and says "you didn't read the fine print, it was a limited time offer".........

Cryptic has no rule to offer 24 hour service for the game period, its in the fine print. Hell your power company is not required to give you electricty 24 hours a day......but when someone says they will, they should.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTOLcm View Post
They promised you a head start. You got a head start.

Yes, the head start time has been used to better the game as a whole, but who's complaining? I'm happy they're doing work to fix the game's obvious bug/server issues.
As I said earlier, 'headstart' amounted to 'being further up the queue'.

I thought fixing bugs was what BETA TESTING was for.

This is your idea of a thank-you? It's pretty much a slap in the face, literally and figuratively.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmcD
I don't regret buying the game or the lifer subscription because I am trusting they do the right thing. I understand that mistakes happen. Problems are to be expected, it's how we deal with those problems that is relevant. I guess I just expected to have the ability to play the game more often than I have and it has been so bad that I think some in game goodie would be very appreciated.

'Trusting they do the right thing'?

They've already got your money, sucker. They have no obligation to do that in the slightest - they're a CORPORATION, not your best buddy from high school!

I would think you've all experienced or at least heard of SWG.. there's your crystal-clear example of 'doing the right thing'. Flushing your customers down the toilet after they've paid you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryusoma View Post
'Trusting they do the right thing'?

:
Blizzard Entertainment's money from initial purchases is loooong gone.

They rely on the constant influx of subscriber money to keep them in the black..cryptics purchase money is much lower, and their subscriber count will diminish as well if they don't provide for the base.

It's not a threat, it's a reality.