Lt. Commander
# 1 Anyone Else Agree?
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
While i am enjoying the game and i plan on continuing to play

I really just dont feel like im playing Star Trek... anyone else feel like this?

the game is really missing StarTrek "Lore"

Some startrek music may even do the trick
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
It would help if we could actually play.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
sadly i think it the heavy combat focus, but i see how Cryptic is caught between a rock and a hard place though, without a lot of combat its not as fun as a game but with to much combat its not as much star trek
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Then you have not played much at all.

Theres such an increadible amount of references to Star Trek lore, more so than any game to date.
A mission comes to mind that involved another doomsday machine, and the part of the mission when you right it is called "Decker's nightmare"
Theres also a whole story arc that connects together not only Voyager and the episode "Prophecy"(i think, its with the klingons in the delta quadrant), but also connects together the TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever"

Another mission also involves being manipulated by Section 31, and yet another referrs to the augments and Khan noonien singh.

While not giving away too much spoilers this is just scratching at the surface.
And then there are even more subtle trek references...
Check out "Covariant" and Paratrinic shields in game and see what they refer to.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I thought it was just me. I don't get the feel of "Star Trek" much at all in this game (not bashing it, just feeling sorta "meh" about it, despite being a Star Trek fan - TOS and movies.) I actually was thinking just the other night how putting in some familiar, adrenaline-pounding James Horner or Jerry Goldsmith music would really help.

That, plus the ground component so far - to me - has been as exciting as watching paint dry.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
If you actually read the mission text for alot of the missions the lore that seems to be missing is quite evident. There are nods to the trek series and movies all over through most of if one takes the time to read more than that 'go here do this' part of the text.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Then you have not played much at all.

there it is...this game is undeniably "Star Trek"
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Comments withdrawn
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdizz81 View Post
While i am enjoying the game and i plan on continuing to play

I really just dont feel like im playing Star Trek... anyone else feel like this?

the game is really missing StarTrek "Lore"

Some startrek music may even do the trick
It might be because I always favored DS9, but this certainly feels "Trek" to me.

Every time I'm in battle I get the same feeling I had during the Borg engagement in First Contact. When I get in larger Deep Space battles I'm reminded of any number of combat scenes from DS9. I've even felt it during ground combat a couple times, echoing the feeling I felt during the Siege of AR-558.

If it's lore you're after, there are missions that reference quite a lot of it. In fact... I think it sometimes goes too far. I've read some things that felt less like a de-/briefing and more like a written preview for an episode.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I feel like itís more a MMO with Star Trek tacked on then a Star Trek game that works as a MMO. By that I mean the problems the developers faced when making this game were solved using MMO solutions rather than Star Trek solutions. The highly combat orientated focus is a prime example of this. Saying that ďitís a time of warĒ is a excuse why there are almost zero noncombat solutions to problems is frankly lame. Even at the height of war the focus of the different series has always been non-combat solutions. It was just easier to change the Star Trek cannon then to try to come up with new ways to handle conflict resolution.

Iím not saying itís a bad game, itís not just really a game true to Star Trek. You could change the locations and models and rename this game ďWing Commander OnlineĒ and it would probably work just as well.