Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
It feels exactly like Star Trek to me. They reference alot of things Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liden
It feels exactly like Star Trek to me. They reference alot of things Trek.
I'm not trying to single you out here but..

Nods to Star Trek via mission text and Tribbles in my inventory don't make me feel like I'm playing a Star Trek game. So why is it that a few references to Star Trek make this game feel like Star Trek to you?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerYnkFan View Post
I can see where the OP is coming from. While the music and beam up to the ship reminds me of Trek, there is something missing for me. I guess I wanted more of sandbox myself. I was thinking the other day, where is the replayability in this game? All the characters seem them same except for a few minor differences.
Well, that raises an interesting point.

I think STO is very much a sandbox- except for the tutorial you can pretty much do what you want when you want, assuming you're powerful enough for it, of course. It's certainly not a forced linear path, anyway. I don't think any MMO really could be.

But the problem is... it's a small sandbox.

I mean, even look at WoW at launch. Your faction had 3 starting areas you could go to to begin. All the way up to 60 you had choices where to go to get stronger. With STO... kinda limited. The path is pretty much backyard to Klingon border to Romulan border... etc.

They definitely could have made space a lot bigger.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul_Exo View Post
maybe once they add this genesis system

The Genesis content is already in the game, it is the exploration missions you can find in the star clusters.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
For me its the music i have not really heard any classic ST music or DS9 or STNG for that matter

just the character select screen really..

And what im worried about is when the klingon content will be added or the other races like romulan Pherengi, Cardassian..

cause well lets face it an online game where everyone is on the same side cant go but so far and you know as well as i a launch really determines the game.

so without more startrek Lore what else is there to keep me playing?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
It has a trek feel , but as several other threads have said, there isnt the general feel of an MMO.

Sure there are tons of other players, but if they were bots it wouldnt make any difference.

There doesnt seem to be any need to team up, and if you do it seems you can team up with someone who isnt even in the same instance :/

Its definately got a massive lot of players , but having to interact with them doesnt seem necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
It's used in those anomaly sectors and is part and parcel what it was designed for... it may get some minor modifications, but Genesis is 100% online and functioning.

Thats the Genesis system I hear them talk about in the interviews and such? The Explore 3 systems in Delta or whatever? Tell me this is some kind of cruel joke? Please. If not... oh dear dear.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brac
I feel like itís more a MMO with Star Trek tacked on then a Star Trek game that works as a MMO. By that I mean the problems the developers faced when making this game were solved using MMO solutions rather than Star Trek solutions. The highly combat orientated focus is a prime example of this. Saying that ďitís a time of warĒ is a excuse why there are almost zero noncombat solutions to problems is frankly lame. Even at the height of war the focus of the different series has always been non-combat solutions. It was just easier to change the Star Trek cannon then to try to come up with new ways to handle conflict resolution.

Iím not saying itís a bad game, itís not just really a game true to Star Trek. You could change the locations and models and rename this game ďWing Commander OnlineĒ and it would probably work just as well.
The one of the main reasons I decided to pass on STO was this. It felt like Champions Online with Star Trek clothing. I guess I'm just not a big fan of this engine they use to build their games quickly. Sure they can churn out a game quick enough, but it seems to be lacking in soul. Coupled with the "kill 10 rats" questing, it really loses the Trek to me.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Calculation
Thats the Genesis system I hear them talk about in the interviews and such? The Explore 3 systems in Delta or whatever? Tell me this is some kind of cruel joke? Please. If not... oh dear dear.

Genesis is an offline tool allowing the devs to create bulk missions faster. Those bulk missions are indeed the ones you find in Delta Volanis, Arcunis arm, Hromi and so on. I tried 100+ of them, so far I found 3 kinds of "exploration" missions
  1. Kill mobs in space or ground
  2. Scan 5 blinkings stuff in space or ground
  3. Give 10 units of stuff to a chat box in front of a planet
Have fun with that.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT.Hamilton View Post
sadly i think it the heavy combat focus, but i see how Cryptic is caught between a rock and a hard place though, without a lot of combat its not as fun as a game but with to much combat its not as much star trek
why do people keep saying this... i've done tons of missions which had no combat at all, and to be honest by the time I was done I was eager to get back into some action