Lt. Commander
Hey everyone! I hope y'all are having as much fun with STO as I am. I have a few questions for the experienced players (I just started yesterday), so if you see one that you know about, please post the answer here!

1.) Is there a way to find certain friendly targets or locations? Sometimes when I'm on a mission I can't find a certain ship or location. When I scan, it just says there are no anomalies, but not locations/friendly ships.

2.) How does one train a BOff from another career? Can it only be done at Memory Alpha? How do we find Memory Alpha?

3.) Does anyone know what the C-Store will be offering? Will it JUST be cosmetic things, and if so, what kind of things? Uniform items? Ship items? Both?

4.) I found the camera behind your ship is not very intuitive (for me) - is there a certain control/camera configuration that you all recommend?

5.) I'm still confused about auto-fire. Sometimes my ship will fire on it's own, and sometimes I have to click the mouse button. Is there a sure-fire (pun intended) way to ensure that your ship will fire if it can?

Thanks everybody! I know you are all busy with STO so thank you for helping me with these noob questions!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
1) There are often markers on the area map. Hit 'M' and click on area map, see if there are any beacons/markers.
2) nope, can't cross-train between, say, tactical and science officers. Memory alpha is ... er I forget the name. The sector just north of sol, where you start.
3) no idea
5) right click a weapon, it'll be highlighted in green. It's on autofire now. It _won't_ fire the first shot (to start you into combat) but will continue firing whenever it's in range/angle.
Only one fore and one aft autofire weapon. Doesn't work on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbre View Post
Hey everyone! I hope y'all are having as much fun with STO as I am. I have a few questions for the experienced players (I just started yesterday), so if you see one that you know about, please post the answer here!

1.) Is there a way to find certain friendly targets or locations? Sometimes when I'm on a mission I can't find a certain ship or location. When I scan, it just says there are no anomalies, but not locations/friendly ships.

2.) How does one train a BOff from another career? Can it only be done at Memory Alpha? How do we find Memory Alpha?

3.) Does anyone know what the C-Store will be offering? Will it JUST be cosmetic things, and if so, what kind of things? Uniform items? Ship items? Both?

4.) I found the camera behind your ship is not very intuitive (for me) - is there a certain control/camera configuration that you all recommend?

5.) I'm still confused about auto-fire. Sometimes my ship will fire on it's own, and sometimes I have to click the mouse button. Is there a sure-fire (pun intended) way to ensure that your ship will fire if it can?

Thanks everybody! I know you are all busy with STO so thank you for helping me with these noob questions!
1. Scanning will only show you mats you can collect. If you are looking for enemy targets, open your big map and look for red icons. If you are close enough, they will show. If there is nothing, go full impulse and fly around until you spot something.
2. Memory Alpha doesn't have anything to do with BOs. It's the place you "craft." Or more like hand in the mats you collected for items. It's in the Alpha Centauri Block (directly north of Sol on the map). You train your BOffs new skills from the power store at Sol, or a few other places.
3. Most likely non-game impacting cosmetic things, re-specs, name changes, but who knows.
4. Personally I like the no follow, completely free camera. You can get used to anything I guess. I just prefer to have complete control.
5. Right click the weapons you want to auto fire. A green box around the icon will tell you it's set for auto. You can only have one front and one back auto firing. You still have to fire initially once to start them firing. Press space bar. Sometimes it bugs out if there's nothing in your firing arc so you hit space again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the answers! That map thing will help a lot, as will your other responses. Now I only have to figure out how to make my uniform all nice and glossy like in the screenshots - I guess increase the resolution?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
"1. Scanning will only show you mats you can collect. If you are looking for enemy targets, open your big map and look for red icons. If you are close enough, they will show. If there is nothing, go full impulse and fly around until you spot something. "

Thatís not actually true. Scanning actually shows you the closest collectable or mission objective. However it seems buggy. sometimes it will say there are 2 anomalies and then point me off the map.

Other times it wont direct me to the mission objective like it should and im left flying at random to find it. Tell ya what people complain about the small mission space but when you have no clue where the ship is your looking for and the map shows nothing that 20x20 space can look pretty big.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Only thing I've seen scan work for is ponting out where certain "secret" items are on the map. Items where you get close to them and double click and they reveal consumables. I've never seen the scan point me in the direction of a map objective, though that would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Watmo, that's not a bug; that just means the anomaly is off the mission area of the map. The actual map is larger then the mission area. This usually happens on the ground I've noticed. You can still collect the items.