Lt. Commander
# 1 rifle vs phaser
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Ok is there a reason to use a phaser in close combat rather than a rifle. My automatic thought is you would get a penaly for shooting someone next to you or there would a detriment to the damage effect. Anyway I do not see any. Am I missing something?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
rifles and pistols (hand phasers and the like) are governed by different skills.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanctaBellator
Ok is there a reason to use a phaser in close combat rather than a rifle. My automatic thought is you would get a penaly for shooting someone next to you or there would a detriment to the damage effect. Anyway I do not see any. Am I missing something?
Asthetic /rp reasons different stat bonuses otherwise all weapons seem to have same range etc.

Maybee one day they will add micro photon shotguns hehe
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
the only thing you need to worry about are the numbers. Dies not matter what the weapon is, look at the dps and use the highest. The only reason to use a lower dps weapon is that it has a particular skill modifier that makes it worth using. ( on a green or blue item )
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBunny
rifles and pistols (hand phasers and the like) are governed by different skills.
I guess I am looking strictly at the dps and the lack of change in it. Yah I like when you switch from phaser to rifle the skills automatically switch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
the only thing you need to worry about are the numbers. Dies not matter what the weapon is, look at the dps and use the highest. The only reason to use a lower dps weapon is that it has a particular skill modifier that makes it worth using. ( on a green or blue item )
My first thought there would be some kind of penaly, especially with a rifle, for in close combat.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 07:11 PM
No penalties that I know of. Only reason to use different weapons now is because of the different special attacks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
quite a few of the "pistol" or single hand weapons seem to have a faster recharge on the secondary attacks.

some are 4-5 seconds compared to 8-9 on the rifle types.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
quite a few of the "pistol" or single hand weapons seem to have a faster recharge on the secondary attacks.

True, but DPS is often pretty consistent. In my view, the choice is really about the specials and the playstyle (do you like spamming a pistol or the slower fire rate of a rifle).
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi

Yeah, I personally use a split beam rifle for the damage it deals and have a compression pistol on standby to exploit exposes.

The split beam has a 12 second or so recharge, the compression bolt pistol has I think a 5 or 6 second recharge. The Bolt pistol is also good against tough guys like swordmasters.

I just wish the melee attack with a pistol was a pistol whip.